Suggestions?

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Suggestions?

Jon boat trailers are cheap Charles. Why not go ahead and get
something a little bigger and fix it up to fish seriously? Just tkae
your time and add things a little at a time. The only reason I can
think of to limit yourself to a 12 or 14 light weight is if you plan to
fish some areas where you simpley can't trailer launch.

I really enjoy my Waco 2050-16. The trailer for it sort of fell in my
lap. I got it for free with an old wood boat on it that was rotted out
and falling apart. I agreed to haul off he boat for the trailer. I
circular saw and a cordless crew driver managed to fit that boat into
the dumpster in front of my office. A couple 2X6s and some carpet and
I had the perfect jon baot trialer with full elngth support.

You can start with a boat shell and add storage, decks, livewell, etc
as you have time and a couple extra bucks.

A 16 footer can be had for around $2K brand new. If you plan ahead
(20": transom etc) and a decent outboard falls in your lap you can
quickly have a minimalists full bass rig.

That all being said, I've got a buddy who fished a 14' Waco jon with
just a trolling motor for over 2 years and was quite happy with it.
Last year he started fishing tournaments and now he wishes he had gone
a little bigger. LOL. Now he's looking at that little Stratos that
sells for 12995 with the 50 horse Yamaha.

With the boats I have now I kinda wish my first one had been my 16'
Waco. I probably would not have bought any other boats. Sure I really
enjoy the 20' BassCat, but that 16' Waco with my home grown and
modified trialer is tournament legal, light enough to drag over a sand
bar with a little help and runs pretty darn good with the 50 horse Merc
I lucked into for it.

Bob La Londe
http://www.yumabassman.com

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

If I wanted a full bass boat, I'd just go buy one. I'm not ready to gey
serious again with fishing, but rather found myself missing it enough to
want to fish a little here and there.

If you lived around here, you'd know that I'm not really limiting myself
with a 12-14'er. When I started fishing, I was using a little BassHunter 9'
boat and catching the hell out of fish from it. Plus, everywhere I fished
with my bass boat was mainly found while fishing my smaller boats.

Just want to "get back out there" for a while, without thinking that I've
spent a fortune for another boat that just sits in the driveway.

ps.com...

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

I didn't sell the boat for a bike... but my interests changed along that
route.

I sold the boat because it sat in the driveway, unused most of the time. I
bought the bike because... I like it!

"OhioFishking" wrote in message

"Charles Summers" snip
Looking for a 12 to 14 foot jonboat... any brands that I should avoid?

I think there is a man law that prohibits you from purchasing any boat
after selling a boat for a bike. I believe it's a 1 year waiting period,
even then you must have in writing, an apology to all bass fisherman

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
OhioFishking

"Charles Summers" wrote in message I didn't sell the boat for a bike... but
my interests changed along that
route.

I sold the boat because it sat in the driveway, unused most of the time. I
bought the bike because... I like it!

Could you of kept the boat and bought the bike?

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Charles Summers

Probably.... but sacrifices would had to have been made somewhere.

Old January 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"OhioFishking" wrote in message

"Charles Summers" wrote in message I didn't sell the boat for a bike...
but my interests changed along that
route.

I sold the boat because it sat in the driveway, unused most of the time.
I bought the bike because... I like it!

Could you of kept the boat and bought the bike?

LOL, don't worry Randy, it worked out well. Well, for my son in law
anyway.........Give me a call when you get a chance.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old January 21st, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan, danl, Redbeard uh Greybeard now

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:45:46 -0500, "OhioFishking"
wrote:

"Charles Summers" snip
Looking for a 12 to 14 foot jonboat... any brands that I should avoid?

I think there is a man law that prohibits you from purchasing any boat after
selling a boat for a bike. I believe it's a 1 year waiting period, even then
you must have in writing, an apology to all bass fisherman

Or a note from the Doctor about the hit on the noggin ya took that
caused the whole thing in the first place ;}
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Charles Summers wrote:
If I wanted a full bass boat, I'd just go buy one. I'm not ready to gey
serious again with fishing, but rather found myself missing it enough to
want to fish a little here and there.

If you lived around here, you'd know that I'm not really limiting myself
with a 12-14'er. When I started fishing, I was using a little BassHunter 9'
boat and catching the hell out of fish from it. Plus, everywhere I fished
with my bass boat was mainly found while fishing my smaller boats.

Just want to "get back out there" for a while, without thinking that I've
spent a fortune for another boat that just sits in the driveway.

Sounds fair enough. I think for a small fishing boat I'ld be more
tempted to go with one of those little plastic boats then. They cost
more than some of the aluminum jons but they are a whole bunch more
stable.

Not necessarily where I would buy a boat, but for comparison of a few
different models and generally pricing directboats.com is always a good
place to start looking.

I'm afraid nobody makes the small boat I would want so when I am ready
for the small water again I'll probably have to build mine. LOL.

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Get a copy of your local boat trader and check out used jons - I got a
14 foot with a 8 hp gas motor, troll motor, battery and trailer for
$1600 - had a choice of two in that price range. Have seen some in
your area cheaper - also check out Chattanooga Fishing Forum -
http://www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Charles Summers wrote:
Looking for a 12 to 14 foot jonboat... any brands that I should avoid? Will
be powered first with a trolling motor, eventually to be replaced with a
gas.

Won't be used in any big lakes, except maybe the coves at Percy Priest,
which I know I can navigate fairly well in a smaller boat. Otherwise, to be
used in the smaller lakes around here where the bigger fish hang out (read:
Stocked). LOL

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Forgot to add - most brands in that size are ok - and I definitely
would go with a 14.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com