ABU baitcasters.

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Mike Keown

Default ABU baitcasters.

Several years ago I inherited two ABU
baitcasting reels from a dearly missed
fishing buddy. One is a 5000 Ambassador
and the other is a 5500C. I have taken
on myself to learn to use them and have
read the ROFB.NET FAQ on the elements
of beginning baitcasting. Every thing is clear
except for one item. In the instructions it says
to adjust the spool tension to where the lure
you are using just begins to drop down. It then
says to then ' turn the magnets all the way up'.
I am assuming the magnet adjustment knob is the
one on the left side and that to 'turn it all the way
up' means to turn it until its snug against the faceplate.
Am I interpreting this correctly? Thanks for any tips
or techniques you might have.
Mike

Old November 6th, 2003, 01:04 AM
RichZ

Neither of these reels have magnets, so they have no magnet adjustments,
either.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:27 AM
AJH

As RichZ indicated the 5000 and the 5500C do not use magnets, they use
centrifugal brakes called brake blocks which come in 3 sizes ,white the
heaviest, black med weight and blue the lightest..I use either white or
black, I find I can't control backlashes with blue very well..

I fish therefore I lie

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Bob La Londe

"Mike Keown" wrote in message
Several years ago I inherited two ABU
baitcasting reels from a dearly missed
fishing buddy. One is a 5000 Ambassador
and the other is a 5500C. I have taken
on myself to learn to use them and have
read the ROFB.NET FAQ on the elements
of beginning baitcasting. Every thing is clear
except for one item. In the instructions it says
to adjust the spool tension to where the lure
you are using just begins to drop down. It then
says to then ' turn the magnets all the way up'.
I am assuming the magnet adjustment knob is the
one on the left side and that to 'turn it all the way
up' means to turn it until its snug against the faceplate.
Am I interpreting this correctly? Thanks for any tips
or techniques you might have.
Mike

We had several 5000s and a 5500 for catfishing when I was a kid. First off
they have no magnetic backlash control. We found them to be very durable
reels, but If I recall correctly they needed a lot of tension and we could
only use them well with heavier weights. I used to cast them out with two
snelled hooks on drop loops with a 3/4 oz pancake sinker. We would still
get backlash from time to time.

They were definitely very durable and reliable. I don't think we ever had
to work on them.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old November 6th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Mike Keown

Thank You All for your information. I will try to contact
ABU( which is now ABU/Garcia) and see if they can
forward some information on these reels and the weights
involved. Thanks Again-And Have a Great Day on
the Water!
Mike