Bait Caster Recommendation

Old November 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Bait Caster Recommendation

Need recommendations on a bait casting reel.

I have a few older Shimano Corioiis's and really like them. I'd love
to own a Curado but they are not in my price range (I'm looking at a
few used ones, though).

Wants (in order):
Very low profile (comfortable feel in hand)
No back-up on reel handle
Price Range: $40-$80 (would like to be as close to $60 as possible)

Old November 30th, 2005, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Todd Copeland" wrote in message
Need recommendations on a bait casting reel.

I have a few older Shimano Corioiis's and really like them. I'd love
to own a Curado but they are not in my price range (I'm looking at a
few used ones, though).

Wants (in order):
Very low profile (comfortable feel in hand)
No back-up on reel handle
Price Range: $40-$80 (would like to be as close to $60 as possible)

Look on eBay for Curados or Coriolis reels. Otherwise, a reel that I've
been using that is pretty darned comfortable is the Shimano Cardiff. It
retails for $99 I believe and while I like low profile reels like the
Curado, this one is really sweet. It's smooth, has a good drag and is
lightweight.

I believe that if you spend a little more, and get quality the first time,
you'll save money in the long run,
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old November 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

About a month ago, I noticed a bunch of Diawa Procaster 100HL reels, brand
new, selling in the $40 range. Black with gold trim.
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:01:00 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
wrote:

Look on eBay for Curados or Coriolis reels. Otherwise, a reel that I've
been using that is pretty darned comfortable is the Shimano Cardiff. It
retails for $99 I believe and while I like low profile reels like the
Curado, this one is really sweet. It's smooth, has a good drag and is
lightweight.

Are the Curado's so much better then the Coriolis's? I bought my
Coriolis's about 3 years ago, used for about $35 each and I like them.

I believe that if you spend a little more, and get quality the first time,
you'll save money in the long run,

I thought spending $60 was a "little more".

When it comes to fishing I'm all about being frugal. Spending $200 for
a rod and reel, x4 is $800! But I get the point and agree. This is one
reason why I was looking at used reels.

I also like to stick with the same reels as much as possible. Makes
switching between them easier.

Old November 30th, 2005, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Todd... I too cringed when buying my first Curado and though a couple of
times to take it back to the store before I used it. I remember the remorse
too well.

Then, I went fishing and it all went away! The Curados are awesome.. cast
after cast after cast! Buying the first one is hard, but the rest come
pretty easy. My first one is still as sweet as the last one that I bought
this year.

Old November 30th, 2005, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

In that price range I would buy a Bass Pro Shop Extreme reel for $49.99
in the Xmas catalog '05.( page 172 ) I own 1 of these which I use for
"ratting" & have no problems with it at all. It's pretty smooth for an
inexpensive reel.

Old December 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Todd,
If you have a Gander Mountain near you look for the Abu Torno 3004hs or
3004hsi. I just picked one up for $59.95.
If not check out:
http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ProductDir...&SearchLevel=3
Thanks, Joe Z for the link. This place is great.
They are selling the Torno 3004hs for $60.00.
Granted I have not fished with mine yet but pitching with it in the
house, ooohhh boy.
This reel is gonna be a sweet reel for $60.00.
Good luck with whatever you find.

Mike

Old December 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bank for your buck" reel! These are what I started out with, and still have
a couple of them in my boat. The Pro Qualifiers are pretty decent too, but
for the full retail price of them.... they are close to the $99 that BPS has
the Curados for.

oups.com...

Old December 1st, 2005, 08:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:38:03 GMT, Todd Copeland
wrote:

Need recommendations on a bait casting reel.

I have a few older Shimano Corioiis's and really like them. I'd love
to own a Curado but they are not in my price range (I'm looking at a
few used ones, though).

Wants (in order):
Very low profile (comfortable feel in hand)
No back-up on reel handle
Price Range: $40-$80 (would like to be as close to $60 as possible)

After careful consideration I think I'm going to look for some used
Curado's. Two questions, though:

1) Is the Bantum Curando the same as a Curado? (both have the same 100
or 200 model number)

2) I see some reviews showing that the spool has holes in it to reduce
weight but other photos (and the one's I've seen locally) don't have
these holes. Are they different models?

Thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
Todd... I too cringed when buying my first Curado and though a couple of
times to take it back to the store before I used it. I remember the

remorse
too well.

Then, I went fishing and it all went away! The Curados are awesome.. cast
after cast after cast! Buying the first one is hard, but the rest come
pretty easy. My first one is still as sweet as the last one that I bought
this year.

I gotta agree with Charles on this one. I bought my first Curado used off
EBAY. It looked rough, and to be honest the first couple times I tried it I
didn't like it. Then I put a drop of Quantum Hot Sauce on the bearings, and
actually adjusted the brakes and the spool tension. Wow. What a reel. I'm
still using that reel almost every time I go out. Well, when I'm not using
one of the other three new Curados I have bought since or one of the four
Curado super free models I bought after that. Shimano ticked me off though
discontinuing it and bringing out a new model (at a much higher price) to
replace it.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com