This group

Old September 24th, 2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Default This group

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
ups.com...

BTW I had arranged for Marcel Marceau to read the eulogy.
Unfortunately he died. I called the number of his agent, the picked
up but there was only silence on the other end.

Years ago I had the privilege to see Marcel Marceau, he's a pretty awesome
mime.
It might have been interesting to watch Marceau perform the ROFF eulogy,
but even
more of a challenge for someone to get in a ****ing contest with him.

I'd risk a shiny new nickel on the assumption that he could read and write.

Wolfgang
which, it should not be necessary to add, would put him way ahead of some of
the regular "contributors" here.

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
ups.com...

BTW I had arranged for Marcel Marceau to read the eulogy.
Unfortunately he died.

Might be able to find a parrot to give a ROFF eulogy.
-tom

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
ups.com...

BTW I had arranged for Marcel Marceau to read the eulogy.
Unfortunately he died.

Might be able to find a parrot to give a ROFF eulogy.

Shouldn't have any trouble at all finding a whole chorus of those here.

Wolfgang
can i get an amen?

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"asadi" wrote in message

"salmobytes" wrote in message
oups.com...
A a year or so ago I mentioned I'd noticed,
(on Google's group statistics) that several key groups
I occasionally read, like comp.lang.php, rec.boats.buidling
and rec.woodworking, were doing well. Their average
number of posts and readers was holding steady, pretty
close to what they were 5 years ago. But rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
was down 80 percent (and that was a year ago). It's probably even more
anemic now.
I've been seeing the same unchanging name list here for several years
now.

In that post I implied, somewhat indirectly, the constant taunting
from
Fortenberry had something to do with it. Several others said
they thought it had more to do with competition from moderated
forums, like the Washington Fly Fishers and many others.

Perhaps the two (competition from forums and acid reflex disease
caused primarily by Fortenberry) are two sides of the same coin.
Fortenberry's constant pain-in-the-ass baiting would be erased by
the moderator at those forums. Fortenberry couldn't exist there
even if he wanted to. The level of discussion is an order of magnitude
more informative and well educated too. Perhaps as a result
(of his absense, and others like him).

I still log in and read this group once or twice a week. But the
frequency
I do read this group will continue to dribble off, principally because
of the
group's current cyber bully jerk. If you go back and review the
group's posts,
over the past year or so, you'll see there are still a fair number
of reasonable, helpful participants. But there is seldom a week
goes by without a **** storm. And Dangleberry is not only always
in the thick of it, he is usually it's starting point.

It will be interesting to see how much longer the group's few
remaining
responsible readers last. There is an undeniable downhill spiral
in progress. The numbers cannot be disputed. The readership here
is now tiny compared to 5 or so years ago.

first you wanna bitch and then you blame others...naming names...

hmmmmmmmmm.....Everybody knows it's Wolfgang's fault,

Can't help it. I'm possessed.

that's why Miller burnt Gooters...Frank could show you the evidence, but
then he's had to kill ya, and George would make the coffins...

A cottage industry! What's my cut?

Do you see what I'm saying...?

I do.

Wolfgang
hm.......why does that worry me?

Old September 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"BJ Conner" wrote in message
ups.com...

BTW I had arranged for Marcel Marceau to read the eulogy.
Unfortunately he died.

Might be able to find a parrot to give a ROFF eulogy.
-tom

I was telling my friend at lunch about Marcel Marceau giving an eulogy.
She actually attended a funeral where Marcel Marceau was a guest eulogist.
Said she was in tears when the parrot was translating for the hearing
impaired.
-tom

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
J & D Moe

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

SNIP

You may set your mind at ease, Jan.....the much anticipated death of ROFF
simply isn't going to happen. The only thing that COULD make it happen is
for all those who wring their hands and rend their clothing in despair
over
the dreadful conditions here to have their wish come true. Enthusiasm for
beloved avocation like fly fishing is understandable (and even
admirable.....at least for those of us who share that enthusiasm and have
reason to find it defensible) but the activity, for all its complexity and
lifelong value to participants, is too cramped and narrowly focused to
sustain a vibrant community discussion through eternity. The ideal ROFF
that many envision is a lot like the classic picture of the Christian
heaven.....nice climate, and you don't have to worry about
mosquitoes.....but a couple of eons of singing hosannas would find the
vast
majority bolting for the nearest exit and jostling for space on the first
commuter train to hell. Those few who missed the last train would then
settle down to an interminable polite discussion about the true nature of
God (otherwise known as "the best knot for attaching leader to fly line")
until the sponsors decided that "Heaven®" was no longer a viable commodity
and closed it down due to lack of interest, leaving the last few holdouts
ruminate that having an immortal soul isn't quite as peachy as the
advertising brochures made it look. They would then spend the rest of
eternity (a much longer time than most people suppose) wandering from one
moderate forum to another, searching for yet another opinion on the best
floatant, and leaving each as they successively went tits up, all the
while
wearing large stinking birds suspended from thongs around their necks.

But, if wishes were fishes......

SNIP

Wolfgang

ROFLAO!

Not at the content of this paragraph, but at the similarities to your ideas
and the production of George Bernard Shaw's Don Juan In Hell that I was
fortunate enough to see last winter. Absolutely hilarious and thought
provoking.
Thanks for both. (the laugh and the thoughts).

Jeremy Moe

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

BTW I had arranged for Marcel Marceau to read the eulogy.
Unfortunately he died. I called the number of his agent, the picked
up but there was only silence on the other end.

Years ago I had the privilege to see Marcel Marceau, he's a pretty awesome
mime.
It might have been interesting to watch Marceau perform the ROFF eulogy, but
even
more of a challenge for someone to get in a ****ing contest with him.
-tom

I worked on the Rose Parade floats as a teenager in the early 70's.
Red Skelton was the grand marshal one year. I got to talk to him and
after a bit stood back and watched. Marceau was there (riding a
float) and went up to talk to him. Two grand masters, pantomime and
mime. Friggen awesome.
Frank Reid

Old September 25th, 2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

......but a couple of eons of singing hosannas would find the vast
majority bolting for the nearest exit and jostling for space on the
first
commuter train to hell.

Hmm, fly fisherman's Hell.
The fly fishing rules are English
Your guide is from Los Angeles
Your territory is limited to Kansas
The trout come from Ohio
The smallies come from Florida
And all your tackle is Orvis bought in Walmart.
Frank Reid

Old September 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"J & D Moe" wrote in message

ROFLAO!

Not at the content of this paragraph, but at the similarities to your
ideas and the production of George Bernard Shaw's Don Juan In Hell that I
was fortunate enough to see last winter. Absolutely hilarious and thought
provoking.

Oddly enough (I was an English major, after all) I've never seen a
performance of any of Shaw's works.....or even read any of them. Rereading
the paragraph you referred to just now, it occurs to me that Twain's Captain
Stormfield was rustling about somewhere in the nether regions of my brain as
I was writing it.

Thanks for both. (the laugh and the thoughts).

You're welcome.

Wolfgang

Old September 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Seidman

Frank Reid wrote in news:1190687525.888016.67760
@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I worked on the Rose Parade floats as a teenager in the early 70's.

I don't recall seeing any floats going down the parade route aflame in the
70's, which is what I think is the likeliest outcome of mixing you and a
float.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply