DT Fly line for a slower action rod.

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Default DT Fly line for a slower action rod.

"Peter A. Collin" wrote in message
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Have you ever bought a fly rod that was rated incorrectly
by the manufacturer ?

I have. I bought a Cortland that was rated for a 4/5 line, back when I
was still fairly green. I never could cast well, and wondered if I was
some kind of a klutz. Years later, I tried a 6 weight line on it and cast
perfectly....

I've got a 7 wt. St. Croix that works much better with a 10 wt. line.
Tested it with various lines (courtesy of Joel Axelrad, traveling fly shop
extraordinaire) at Penns one year. We differ on how well it performed with
the various heavier lines, but he agreed that 7 wt. was a gross underrating.

Wolfgang

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

I've noticed nobody has considered the weight and length of the
fly-rod as a factor for determining fly-line size. At least that's what
they used to do before the days of writing line-weights on the rod.

Just about every manufacture determines a "suggested" line weight for each
fly- rod that they think would be best suited to make the cast. However
depending on your casting style, it could easily vary between anglers.

What is also given is the actual weight and length of the fly-rod.
I was going to ask Brian for the weight and length of his 6wt and
perhaps I could help him with line selection. But then I read that the
rod cast like a dream with a 5WF line, so I just left it as is.

From reading all the responses now, I think it's best for the angler (Brian)
to experiment with the different lines to determine what will fit his needs.
But it's a good that everyone wants to help although we sometimes disagree.
-tom

Old December 6th, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Dec 6, 9:38 am, "Wolfgang" wrote:
"Peter A. Collin" wrote in m...

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Have you ever bought a fly rod that was rated incorrectly
by the manufacturer ?

I have. I bought a Cortland that was rated for a 4/5 line, back when I
was still fairly green. I never could cast well, and wondered if I was
some kind of a klutz. Years later, I tried a 6 weight line on it and cast
perfectly....

I've got a 7 wt. St. Croix that works much better with a 10 wt. line.
Tested it with various lines (courtesy of Joel Axelrad, traveling fly shop
extraordinaire) at Penns one year. We differ on how well it performed with
the various heavier lines, but he agreed that 7 wt. was a gross underrating.

Wolfgang

I've found with me it takes alot of trial and error to find what line
weight works for me. It ocasionally is right on what the rod suggests
but more often is one up or down. I guess you have to take into
consideration casting style, proficiency and just what feels most
comfortable. But here is a test that has worked for me from the
rodbuilding forum:
http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=15133
I lost my gram scale to the police(just kidding) and can't try it on
this rod.
Thanks,
Brian
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Lysyk

Wolfgang wrote:

In short, there are certainly objective criteria in fly rod designations but
they shade into subjective judgments on the fine points. In other words, as
usual, you are both wrong. The debate, in this instance (and as is typical
here), hinges not on differences of opinion, resulting from different caches
of fact and interpretation, but rather on the fact that you are both
assholes to whom the truth of the matter (to whatever extent it may be
discoverable) is a monumental irrelevancy.

Carry on.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, you write some real gems. I'll be laughing about this one for
while. Truth is too funny sometimes.

Tim Lysyk
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 6 Dec, 15:58, wrote:

I've found with me it takes alot of trial and error to find what line
weight works for me. It ocasionally is right on what the rod suggests
but more often is one up or down. I guess you have to take into
consideration casting style, proficiency and just what feels most
comfortable. But here is a test that has worked for me from the
rodbuilding forum:http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=15133
I lost my gram scale to the police(just kidding) and can't try it on
this rod.
Thanks,
Brian

That´s interesting, thanks.

This is very very accurate, and once you have measured and used a few
rods it is easy to do;

http://www.common-cents.info/

TL
MC
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote in message

I've found with me it takes alot of trial and error to find what line
weight works for me. It ocasionally is right on what the rod suggests
but more often is one up or down. I guess you have to take into
consideration casting style, proficiency and just what feels most
comfortable. But here is a test that has worked for me from the
rodbuilding forum:
http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=15133
I lost my gram scale to the police(just kidding) and can't try it on
this rod.

Fortunately, you don't really need a scale calibrated in grams. Scorched
chicken bones, a brick, a pony cart, or a small mountain ash tree will do
just as well. See your first sentence above for the proper method of
determining the right line for your rod.* With a bit of practice you'll
find that the required amount of trial and error drops off quickly and
dramatically.

Thanks,
Brian

You're welcome.

Wolfgang
*for commercially produced rods, the manufacturer's recommendation is
probably about as good a place to start as any. and, yeah, i guess somebody
should have thought of that a long time ago.

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

May also be useful to you;

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/balance-beam/

TL
MC
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:51:43 -0500, "Tim J."
wrote:

daytripper typed:
snip
I think the point has been made, let's move on...

Move on? MOVE ON!? Not while there's an opportunity to argue and fuss over
details that need have no argument - not on your life, buster!

Ooops! Sorry - my bad. Must've forgotten where we are...

/daytripper (I plead temporary insanity ;-)
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
J & D Moe

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Have you ever bought a fly rod that was rated incorrectly
by the manufacturer ?

I have. I bought a Cortland that was rated for a 4/5 line, back when I
was still fairly green. I never could cast well, and wondered if I was
some kind of a klutz. Years later, I tried a 6 weight line on it and
cast perfectly....

I've got a 7 wt. St. Croix that works much better with a 10 wt. line.
Tested it with various lines (courtesy of Joel Axelrad, traveling fly shop
extraordinaire) at Penns one year. We differ on how well it performed
with the various heavier lines, but he agreed that 7 wt. was a gross
underrating.

Wolfgang

Could be a trend with St. Croix. My favorite rod is still my cheapo bottom
of the line St. Croix. Rated as #5, it casts MUCH better with a 6wt line.
Not much of an issue on the Muskegon, where chances of catching browns are
as good as catching smallies.

Jeremy Moe