draycote water

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
G69

Default draycote water

Had a days fishing at draycote water on Sunday and had no follow or
takes.This fly fishing is very frustrating .Its the third water me and my
mate
have visited (Bellbrook and shatter) and I have caught now't my mate has
taken a near 2lb rainbow at Bellbrook by fowl hooking the nose of a trout.We
both changed fly's and floating to intermediate lines throughout the day,
Our casting has improved to a competent level but still no results.. at
first we tried the area by the Valve Tower and then moved to the north side
of Toft Shallows when the last cast was cast we returned to the lodge have
a look at the days catch and found that we are on our own when it comes to a
blank sheet most of the fish were taken in the boats or from
farborough spit. We still had a great day out but are we doing something
wrong.any advice we be welcome and we will keep trying till we get it
right.

G.P: Help I'm sinking

Old October 13th, 2004, 08:37 PM
laxhill

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:30:21 +0100, "G69" wrote:

[...]

I would suggest you give other successful anglers the polite "third
degree". Not just "have you caught and what fly" but also what fly
line - floater, sinker if sinker what density, slow sink, medium, fast
etc. What length of leader,what breaking strain, What rate the
retrieve was , twitch, slow draw, fast pulls etc. Was the fly
retrieved immediately or allowed to sink. If allowed to sink for how
long. Did they catch throughout the day or for a distinct period. If
bank fishing were the fish close in or a long way out. What were the
weather conditions. It sounds a bit over powering given in a sort of
list but given the right approach most anglers will pass info on. If
you don't get it all off one angler persevere with others. The more
knowledge you build up the more success you will have. Also always
talk to the wardens for updates on the best areas. It is in their
interest to have successful anglers. Other anglers will not
unnaturally be less inclined to pass on exact locations.
Tight lines

Keith

Old October 13th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Allan

"G69" wrote in message
[...]

I get to Draycote about once each season and boat fish it. I've had some

good and some bad days, but I always start with a chat with the warden
(Keith?) who is extremely helpful and will pass on the info he's been given
by anglers on locations, flies, depths, etc. He'll show you where the
locations are on the map and it's always worth coming back to the lodge for
a break during the day to get up to date info passed on by any angler who's
already weighed in. Keep fishing and good luck.

Allan

Old October 14th, 2004, 01:11 AM
G69

Cheers Keith and Allan Thank you for the advice.

We had a good chat to Kieth causer The guy who owns the lease on the water
and i have to say he was very helpful the best site warden we have spoken to
so far
I will return to Draycote soon and give it another try. I will be in
barmouth wales at end of oct
anyone Know of any good sites to fish (don,t mention it to the wife)!

G.P Sinking fast but smilling!

Old October 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Rich Milburn

Hi,
I too am pretty new to fly fishing, only been doing it for a couple of
months.
In my experience so far, fishing the bigger waters can be a very hit and
miss affair.
I started on small (4 or 5 acre) fisheries and managed to catch fish on only
my 3rd outing.
I have subsequently fished larger lakes, Sutton Bingham and Chew.
At Sutton I blanked completely. At Chew I caught 3, but my 2 mates who were
with me and much more experienced than me blanked.

If it's starting to get you down, try a well stocked small fishery, bend the
odds in your favour

I don't know the waters you mentioned, but you talk about people boat
fishing so I am assuming they are fairly large.

Good luck and keep trying.

Rich.

"G69" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:06 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Rich Milburn
writes
I don't know the waters you mentioned, but you talk about people boat
fishing so I am assuming they are fairly large.

The waters or the people?...:-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk