Cold Fishing

Old October 26th, 2004, 06:14 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Cold Fishing

I hate the fall, I hate the fall, I hate the fall, now before everyone goes
nuts with the "are you crazy, it's the best time of year"...it isn't...at
least not for me. Once the water cools down up here in the mountains fish
get lockjaw and stay deep. Now granted I don't have a depth finder/fish
finder etc, so marking those deeper area's and structure on those deeper
area's makes it a bit more difficult. Maybe next year. But every year I have
been up here(6)after August/September fishing has been downright lousy.. I
need Rich Z or Warren to come on up and show me where I'm going wrong
...(((((((Hint Hint Hint)))))))))). I did manage two pickerel on a drop shot
rig using a 4 inch berkely gulp worm fishing from shore this morning, the
air temp was 39 degrees, I threw cranks,spinners,worms,jigs and jerkbaits,
even went to my rattle traps but nothing.. So anyone that wants to show me
how to get some of these mountain bass to bite in the fall come on up
:-)...hurry theres not much fall left here.......

Old October 26th, 2004, 08:02 PM
go-bassn

Still haven't taken that water temp yet hugh Randy? You said you'd do that
weeks ago. The fish don't care about the air temp, why should they? My
guess is your water is in the 50's still, and your fish are biting like
crazy right now bud. Like you said, you just need to figure out where they
are & what they'll bite. Wish I could come on up, but with the new house, 3
more tourneys & the Xmas rush at the mall, I'm pretty much booked till the
spring thaw. Keep at it my boy,you'll figure it out.

Warren

Old October 26th, 2004, 10:23 PM
alwaysfishking

Temp near the shoreline was 44, I know they have moved but even when I take
the boat out now all the fish are deep and almost all have been caught on
rattle traps, I think a good depth finder would help me a great deal. I'll
figure it out someday. I'm just missing those t-shirt and shorts mornings,
man the summer really flew by :-)

Old October 27th, 2004, 12:59 AM
RichZ

Ken Blevins wrote:
IMO winters only redeeming quality is collage basketball -"-Go Cats Go"
Ken
"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
news

I absolutely love the late fall/early winter because the fishing is
incredible AND college B-ball is tarting. My problem though, is that
'we' play into the beginning of next fishing season so often these days.
Nice problem to have though, from a b-ball POV.G

Go DOGS!

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Lure builder

Try a lure with a good wobble action and retrieve very slowly. The lure has so
much action that it can be retrieved very slowly and it will draw fish to it.
The rattle rap is a faster retrieve lure and not suitable for cold fishing as
you describe. Try something like a flat fish or redfin. I also don't believe
the fish are deep.