Fishing a Tournament in the Cold, With a Cold

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Ronnie Garrison

Default Fishing a Tournament in the Cold, With a Cold

Got back from Antarctica on Sunday, Jan 31 and woke up with a sore
throat on Monday - probably from the stress of being cooped up in a tin
can at 28,000 feet for 14 hours with about 350 other folks.

Anyway, felt terrible all week, did not get out of the house Wed -
Friday, BUT, I did go to my club tournament on Sunday. Should have
stayed in bed, but did not want to miss the second tournament of the
year in the Flint River club. I missed the first Spalding County
tournament while gone - didn’t miss much, high that day was 27 and
windy, colder here than in Antarctica! Only five showed up to fish and
four fish landed, but one was a 5.97 pound largemouth.

Sunday I drove to Sinclair - was weak and shaky, but a couple of Tylenol
helped. I was the last one there, paid my fees and got my boat in the
water just as everyone else blasted off at 7:30. The sun was just
peeking above the trees on the southeast shoreline. The dawn was clear
and cold after a lot of rain all week, and the barometric pressure was
going way up.

Air temp was about 30 degrees, water temp was 49 and pretty stained, a
chartreuse spinnerbait disappeared down about six inches. I ran a few
miles to a point at the mouth of a creek that drops into the river.
Started with a crankbait around the stumps and dead grass on the point.
It was still in the shade so I had hopes something was feeding early.
After a few casts I picked up a spinnerbait and dropped it right on the
edge of the grass. As it fluttered down I started slow rolling it and
immediately felt a tug. When I set the hook the fish felt solid.

In the cold water the bass did not fight much and I was a little
surprised when it came to the top about 20 feet from the boat - it was a
solid 3 pounder. I was so excited - and maybe a little goofy from the
cold - that I just lifted it over the side. Not a good idea usually, but
this fish was hooked solidly and I put it into the live well - not a bad
start on a bad day.

I worked that point, hitting the grass, stumps, docks and even a small
rock pile, with spinnerbait, three different crankbaits, a jig and pig
and even a Carolina rigged Senko, for about an hour without another
bite. Decided it was time to find a similar place and ran across the
river to a small creek entering on that side. That point has grass on
both sides of it, some brush going into the creek, grass and riprap in
the back and several brush piles out in the cover.

The river side of the point was in the sun by now and nothing hit, so I
fished into the creek on the shady side of the point. I was alternating
with cranks, spinnerbaits and jig and pig to the docks, grass and brush
in shallow water. Nothing hit.

The boat was in about 15 feet of water and about half way back I started
seeing shad suspended down about 6 feet deep, and something under them.
I dropped a gold Hopkins spoon down and jigged it a couple of times, and
it got heavy. I thought it was a stick on the line but when I reeled it
up it turned out to be a 12.5 inch bass - my second keeper at a little
after 9:00. That felt pretty good - I had almost six hours left to fish
and two in the livewell.

That small creek was full of shad - even saw some on the surface near
the back. The whole creek had solid shad in the back half,down about 6
feet deep.I fished under them for two hours with jigging spoon,
crankbaits, Carolina rig and even a crappie jig. I had one thump on a
Senko Carolina rigged but did not hook it. After two hours I gave up and
went to try some other spots.

During the next two hours I did not get a bite anywhere I tried, so I
went back to the shad. Still nothing there. Ran a mile or so to a steep
rocky bank and fished it for an hour with a jig and pig but nothing. Ran
to a bridge near the weigh-in and worked it with a jig and pig for the
last half hour. Still no more bites.

When I pulled up at the ramp and tied my boat up, and started walking to
the truck it was like walking uphill in mud. I did not realize how weak
I was and the walk to the truck was awful - all 100 yards of it! I
managed to get the boat loaded and parked, and got my two fish out and
went to the scales.

My two fish weighed 4.13 pounds and put me in 5th place. Not too bad for
feeling so bad, that was my second 5th place in a row and put me in 3rd
for the year in that club.

It took 11 pounds to win and the winner had a 4.06 pound bass. Second
place was 6.41 pounds and his 4.09 pound bass was good for big fish.
Third was 5.01 and fourth was 4.45. Most bass were caught on crankbaits
around docks and grass, but several were landed on Carolina rigs. 18
fishermen had 20 keepers weighing a total of 44.02 pounds. 8 of the 18
fishermen zeroed.

Its the following Friday and I still feel awful, but I have a tournament
a week from Sunday and plan on fishing at least twice next week getting
ready for it. Maybe I do better while sick!!

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Ronnie Garrison" wrote in message
Got back from Antarctica on Sunday, Jan 31 and woke up with a sore throat
on Monday - probably from the stress of being cooped up in a tin can at
28,000 feet for 14 hours with about 350 other folks.

Anyway, felt terrible all week, did not get out of the house Wed - Friday,
BUT, I did go to my club tournament on Sunday. Should have stayed in bed,
but did not want to miss the second tournament of the year in the Flint
River club. I missed the first Spalding County tournament while gone -
didn’t miss much, high that day was 27 and windy, colder here than in
Antarctica! Only five showed up to fish and four fish landed, but one was
a 5.97 pound largemouth.

Pretty good finish considering the conditions. And how sad is that, colder
in Georgia than in Antarctica!
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 12th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Great story.....Must be nice to be young and able to fish like that and
still looking forward to the next tourny. Those were the good old days
for me. Good luck this year, and keep the storys coming.

sket