"furled" leaders

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Larry L

Default "furled" leaders

laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

.... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

..... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

...... bored as I am ?

Old February 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Larry L wrote:
laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

Bummer. Try Budweiser and grapefruit juice (not together). I
believe in the healing power of Budweiser and grapefruit juice.
It may not be standard medicine but it's always worked for me.

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

Tried 'em, didn't like 'em. Furled leaders make a hell of a
splash that negates whatever "delicate presentation" advantage
they allegedly provide.

..... bored as I am ?

The guy who was really bored is whoever decided to "furl" leaders
in the first place.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

Larry L wrote:

laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

..... bored as I am ?

I share Ken's sentiment. I tried them last summer on a 'dry' only section for

their supposed superior quality. They quickly soak unless you constantly use

mucelin and cause spray that scared the fish away. And they didnt layout any better

than the leaders I tie following some of the formulas you can find online. Right

now I use a formula that was in an article about the various disciplines in

competition casting. That one lays out prefectly and also lets you hover the fly

better in a false cast to check that you have the right distance.

Old February 25th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Conan the Librarian

Larry L wrote:

laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

Take this with the requisite amount of salt, as I'm a relative
newbie compared to most here.

OK, I like making things that are a part of my hobbies (tying lies,
making my own handtools, etc.), so I decided to give furled leaders a
try. I followed Mike McGuire's excellent instructions
(http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/T...ed_leader.html)
and made up a few of various sizes and colors to test.

Mine were made of Unithread (8/0 for the ones for my 3-wt. and 6/0
for the 5-wt.), and treated with various sorts of concoctions to keep
them from absorbing too much water and throwing too much spray. (That's
what ROFFians had mentioned as their biggest problem.)

I've done very limited testing with them due to floods, other
responsibilities, etc., but I was impressed with how nicely and
delicately they laid out. I was impressed enough that I bought some of
those little "tippet rings" to use to attach tippet to them.

I plan to give them a thorough test in the next month or so, once I
have some spare time to get on the water.

I also made a few out of mono and I was singularly unimpressed by
those. They seemed to display the worst characteristics of mono leaders
with no advantages that I could tell.

So the thread furled leaders may still prove to be part of my normal
fishing accessories. Time will tell. Still the exercise was fun, no
matter what.

Chuck Vance
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Dave Martel

"Larry L" wrote in message
laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

..... bored as I am ?

I tried them. Friends furled up a few for me. I *tried* to like them, I
really did; but I just don't. Where all these so-called "advantages" over
mono leaders come from I haven't been able to determine...but, in a
nutshell, I think they *suck*. Succinct, huh?

Dave M

Old February 25th, 2005, 09:23 PM
George Adams

Larry L wrote:
laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and

ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I

make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth

the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

..... bored as I am ?

I'd rather spend next fishing season as Michael Moore's valet than use
furled leaders. I subscribe to the "keep it simple" and "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it" philosophies. When I'm on the stream, I want to
fish, not muck about with my tackle.

Old February 25th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Allen

In article ,
"Dave Martel" wrote:

"Larry L" wrote in message
laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

..... bored as I am ?

I tried them. Friends furled up a few for me. I *tried* to like them, I
really did; but I just don't. Where all these so-called "advantages" over
mono leaders come from I haven't been able to determine...but, in a
nutshell, I think they *suck*. Succinct, huh?

Dave M

I remember Frank Reid tried them a couple of years ago on a cold
Maryland day and described the frozen leader to be like chucking a
javelin in the stream!

Allen
Old February 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM
riverman

"George Adams" wrote in message
oups.com...

Larry L wrote:
laid up for a week now by a couple surgeries, I've been browsing and

ran
across ads for "furled" leaders

OF COURSE, the ads promise these will change my life, and guarantee I

make
100% accurate casts, truly brilliant presentations, EVERY time g

I tried "braided" leaders many years ago and didn't find them worth

the $
and hassle,

... are "furled" leaders just another name for the same thing?

.... care to relate any "furling" experiences you may have?

..... bored as I am ?

I'd rather spend next fishing season as Michael Moore's valet than use
furled leaders. I subscribe to the "keep it simple" and "if it ain't
broke, don't fix it" philosophies. When I'm on the stream, I want to
fish, not muck about with my tackle.

There's a difference?

--riverman

Old February 26th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Larry L

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

The guy who was really bored is whoever decided to "furl" leaders
in the first place.

looking at the instructions on making one ..... I'd say you are right
.....bored when he started, likely half mad by the time he finished

Old February 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Mike Bernardoni

I use them allot for wet fly fishing. I like them. Dry Flies. Forget
it.
Mike