Dear Giles

Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

Default Dear Giles

Giles I enjoy reading your stuff but worry about you. Was pondering
last night after second manhatrten---when do you have time to cut your
toenails ?

An old friend
Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Nov 23, 6:50*am, Injun Joe wrote:
Giles I enjoy reading your stuff but worry about you. Was pondering
last night after second manhatrten---when do you have time to cut your
toenails ?

An old friend

And how many vodka martoonis did you have before you got to the
"manhatrtens?" Takes a lot more than two of anything to get me to ask
those kind of questions.
Frank Reid
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 23, 6:50*am, Injun Joe wrote:
Giles I enjoy reading your stuff but worry about you. Was pondering
last night after second manhatrten---when do you have time to cut your
toenails ?

An old friend

I'm on the 24 hours per day, 7 days per week plan. Near as I can make
it out, that's 168 hours per week. By far the largest demands on that
allotment are sleep at roughly 56 hours per week and gainful
employment of one sort or another (including travel to and from) at
42ish, which leaves 70 or so. Meal preparation, consumption, and
cleanup account for another 14 (estimated average), 56 to go. That's
8 hours per day, average (though unevenly distributed through the week
considering that "weekends" consist of 2 days sans the gainful
employment deduction), left for other things.

Reading time is difficult to estimate with any precision because it
occurs randomly throughout each day while doing other things, as well
as in periods dedicated to nothing else. Let's call it 3 hours a
day. That's 21 per week, leaving 35. An hour a day writing,
including ROFF, email, notes, etc., equals another 7 per week., we're
down to 28. All that's left accounting for a significant weekly block
is personal hygiene/grooming which includes bathing, indelicate
business, dressing, undressing, shaving, hair cutting (yeah, I cut my
own hair) and......yes, nail trimming, at last! The latter, allowing
a generous 30 seconds per digit, equals 600 seconds (or 10 minutes)
per week, counting all 20 digits, and assuming that it is done
weekly. Actually, that last assumption is invalid as the chore is
more probably done about every ten days or so on average.....but I'm
not going to be that persnickety about the math. Weekly it shall be,
for our purposes here. All told, this block probably eats up an hour
a day.....another 7 out of each week. 21 left. Oh, wait, there IS
one more significant routine block, house cleaning (excluding dishes,
which are already accounted for the in the meal cycle). So,
vaccuming, dusting, laundry, etc. is probably about a half hour per
day (remembering that most of the laundry business, the washing and
drying, is done automatically by machines leaving me free for other
things). Keeping the math as simple as possible while maintaining
something like integrity, let's call it 4 hours per week. 17 to go.

Easily an hour a day is frittered away in mostly undirected (and
unashamed) staring at birds, trees, flowers, bugs, ditches, snow,
puddles, and myriad other things.

That leaves 10 hours a week entirely unaccounted for.

I don't know where the hell the time goes.

giles
who, yes, is well aware that he has left out poking dead things with a
stick, but remains steadfast in his conviction that this is time
"invested," not "spent".
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2010-11-23 16:29:53 -0500, Giles said:

[...]

My Gawd, you are verbose.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles