ot...RIP reynolds price

Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default ot...RIP reynolds price

"Reynolds Price, whose novels and stories about ordinary people in rural
North Carolina struggling to find their place in the world established
him as one of the most important voices in modern Southern fiction, died
on Thursday in Durham, N.C.

...."He is the best young writer this country has ever produced,” the
novelist Allan Gurganus said in an interview for [the NYT obituary]. “He
started out with a voice, a lyric gift and a sense of humor, and an
insight about how people lived and what they’ll do to get along.”

....At Duke University, where he taught writing and the poetry of Milton
for more than half a century, he encouraged students like Anne Tyler and
Josephine Humphreys. Simply by staying in the South and writing about
it, he inspired a generation of younger Southern novelists.

“He made this small corner of North Carolina the sovereign territory of
his own imagination and showed those of us who went away that the water
back home was fine,” Mr. Gurganus said. “We could come back; there was
plenty of room for all of us.”

Edward Reynolds Price was born on Feb. 1, 1933, in Macon, N.C., a town
about 65 miles northeast of Raleigh that he once described as “227
cotton and tobacco farmers nailed to the flat red land at the pit of the
Great Depression.”

....After graduating summa cum laude from Duke in 1955, he won a Rhodes
scholarship to study at Oxford, where he wrote a thesis on Milton, and
developed career-enhancing friendships with the poets Stephen Spender
and W. H. Auden and the critic and biographer Lord David Cecil.

....He was turned down for military service after he stated, without
hesitation, that he was homosexual."

NYT obit, 1/21/11
Old January 22nd, 2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 21, 5:24*pm, jeff wrote:
[...]

I'm reading The Warmth of Other Suns, by Isabel Wilkerson. Highly
recommended. It's about the Great Migration north from the Jim Crow
South.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 1/21/2011 8:10 PM, wrote:
On Jan 21, 5:24 pm, wrote:
[...]

thanks for the recommend...i'll take a look at it, but i'm an
undisciplined reader outside my work field. pecking away at dave
eggers' "zeitoun" in my quiet moments just now.

jeff
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 19:24:33 -0500, jeff
wrote:

[...]

Reynolds Price
Unfortunately,

We are not acqiauinted w this auther and same w my wife who is an
avid and prolific reader
I looked hiom up on Amazon
Is there anything that you woukd suggest that we start with?

Thanks
Fred
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:

[...]

he has a variety of offerings... i've read only a few of his books.
kate vaiden, blue calhoun, roxanna slade, and a whole new life. liked
all of them. started noble norfleet, but never finished. my wife liked
it though. a whole new life is about his experience in dealing with
spinal cancer and his paraplegia.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I will e-mail this to my wife
I will trade you a couple of music recommendations
NC is oa major centers of county and old time fiddle and Appalachian
banjo and general music - jug band also
If you like old time country music?

Its also a center for a type and a whole different venue of blues
picking- Piedmont Bls

Fred

Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:

[...]

one of my friends here is an accomplished bluegrass/country
musician...banjo and fiddle. i have a few cds, but it's not my favorite
music and i know little about it or the musicians.

jeff
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Just a little funny
I take bi weekly lessons w Kenny Jackson, a master fiddler, on Skype
He is out of Carrboro NC and we copy some real old NC musicians
Fred
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:

[...]

ask him if he knows lane hollis of greenville. lane, a fishing friend,
has been fiddling since he was in elementary school, and used to build
instruments. he is a serious student of bluegrass. he also rebuilt an
old violin i inherited from my grandfather...though i can't play it,
lane says it has a sweet sound. i appreciate some of the music, and
there are lots of bluegrass festivals around nc. like many things i am
just now learning to appreciate and enjoy, i was either too stupid, too
lazy, or too blind to recognize the value in many of the
arts...including those that were within daily and easy reach.

jeff
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

wrote:

[...]

Think I have read all of Reynolds Price's books so looked up his
ratings in my book reading log -History-Words-Overall 1 to 10
accending and find fmost of his book average a 3-8-5. Damm fine
work with his words.
In Aug of 05 " The Good Priests Son " was a 4 over all so you might
find it a good read. Most enjoyable memories are slipping into a
couple of his lectures and enjoying his thoughts.
Joe the ElderThink I have read all of Reynolds Price's books so