fighting a big game fish

Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Sierra fisher

Default fighting a big game fish

The less line on the spool, the greater the drag. On fly rods you can
start with a spool of line 4 " in diameter and you set your drag. As the
is taken by the fish, the effective diameter of the reel decreases, and on a
fly line it can decrease to as little as one inch, depending on the arbor
size. Yet the amount of work to turn the reel remains the same, and must be
done over a shorter distance. Ergo, the drag has to increase.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"John" wrote in message
om...
daytripper wrote in message

. ..
On 1 Nov 2004 09:24:02 -0800, (John) wrote:

"Marcel" wrote in message

I read somewhere that certain experienced anglers set to 'free spool'
when there is a hard run from the fish. This mystifies me because
doesn't doing this only lose your precious line?

I would never free spool the reel when hooked up on a big fish. First
off, if you back lash the reel, the fish is gone. Second, the more
line on the spool, without over filling the spool, the more of a
mechanical advantage you have.

[snipped]

If you are using the term to describe leverage, the less full the spool

the
higher the "mechanical advantage"...

I used the wrong term here. The more line on the spool the larger the
diameter of the spool and line. Each crank of the reel will bring in
more line on a full spool, as compared to an empty one. As you pump
the rod, and reel in on the down stroke, you will gain line much
faster with a spool that has more line on it.

Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Sierra fisher

Yes, the thinner the line the less the resistance

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Marcel" wrote in message
Amazing, you live and learn--- I suppose reduced surface area of spectra
line would lesson this problem......

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
There is a line of logic that you should reduce your drag setting as

the
fish takes line, but I have never heard of free spooling. As the fish

takes
line, there is more pressure put on the tippet becasue of the resistance

of
the line in the water. The pressure that you set on your drag combined

with
the resistance of the line moving through the water, could exceed the
strength of the tippet. The only thing that you control is the drag
setting.
Also, at least for tarpon, when the fish jumps out of the water, you are
supposed to give slack, but only for a few seconds. You do this by

pointing
the rod at the fish, not free spooling.

Old November 4th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Cliff

The most important thing is to always have another large rod and reel with
hundreds of yards of heavy dacron line handy. When your other reel runs out
of line, just clip it onto the big rod's line and throw it over the side and
continue
fighting.

The next most important thing is to always have a really sharp gaff handy, in

case you get the monster back to the boat.

You never know when a big marlin may be lurking just beyond those mackerel
you are catching. I never do, that's why I have more fish stories than fish!

Regards,
Cliff

Fishing: "a sport surrounded entirely by liars in old clothes"

Old November 12th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Jacob Reverb

In Marcel wrote:

I suppose reduced surface area of spectra
line would lesson this problem......

yes but it also introduces the problem of having no stretch in the line
to act as a "shock absorber," as you have with mono
Old November 17th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Lee D

"John" wrote

I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
me, no way.

I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so they
don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
lost.

Lee D

Old November 17th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Cliff

In article , "Lee D"
writes:

Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
lost.

I have a few of those Penn Senator rigs, and like them a lot. But when
you consider that it takes me at least 150 gallons of red diesel at $2.05
a gallon to go anywhere, I'll throw them poles over the side all day if I
think I can catch anything.

Old November 18th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Calif Bill

"Lee D" wrote in message
"John" wrote

I've heard about the west coast guy's doing this when their on one of
the long range boats. But, to me, their is no way in hell I'm going to
throw a thousand dollars worth of rod and reel over the side hooked up
to another rod. I suspect anyone who has done this only to never see
their rod and reel again is more than a little hesitant about doing it
again. I know people do it all the time, and get away with it, but not
me, no way.

I know some third coast guys that USED to do that. They lost a rig, so

they
don't do it anymore. Good thing it was only a Senator 4/0 combo that they
lost.

Lee D

They have a lot more than $1000 of gear in the water. Custom Rod, and
blueprinted reels. And they may have 2 rigs in the water.