Meeting of the Minds

Old February 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Meeting of the Minds

Encountering a horse that can solve differential equations (in German,
no less) and a dog that knows the difference between a pinyon and a
pinion (or between a pinion, a pinion, and a pinion, for all one
knows) sets a boys mind to wandering.

What might it be like to enjoy a lengthy late evening repast and
discussion with such illustrious celebrities? Not an entirely
original daydream, one can hardly deny......Steve Allen did it thirty
some years ago.....but enticing nevertheless.

Personally, I think I'd have a hard time planning a menu that would
thrill all those pleasant.....but the conversation would doubtless be
a stone cold ****in' thriller!

So, let us abandon cuisine in favor of cerebral stimulation.

Ignoring possible dietary tabbos, restrictions, preferences and other
impedimenta, and limiting the list to say, four invitees, who are the
number one through four guests (from any place or time on earth) on
your bucket list?

giles
let's do try to be reasonable, eh? i mean, yeah, sharon and charlie
(or his friends, anyway) have already met.....but probably not the
best of all possible dinner companions.....know what i mean?
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 2/11/2011 8:16 PM, Giles wrote:
Encountering a horse that can solve differential equations (in German,
no less) and a dog that knows the difference between a pinyon and a
pinion (or between a pinion, a pinion, and a pinion, for all one
knows) sets a boys mind to wandering.

What might it be like to enjoy a lengthy late evening repast and
discussion with such illustrious celebrities?

ok, I am going to play along, but Wolfie, I had to admit that I first
read this part and wondered why I'd wish to eat dinner with a horse and
and a dog.....despite their attested-to talents.

......Steve Allen did it thirty
some years ago.....but enticing nevertheless.

Personally, I think I'd have a hard time planning a menu that would
thrill all those pleasant.....but the conversation would doubtless be
a stone cold ****in' thriller!

So, let us abandon cuisine in favor of cerebral stimulation.

Ignoring possible dietary tabbos, restrictions, preferences and other
impedimenta, and limiting the list to say, four invitees, who are the
number one through four guests (from any place or time on earth) on
your bucket list?

Hell, Allen probably brought it up earlier than that, but I always have
enjoyed the premise myself. Actually, it used to be a sort of grad
school routine exercise among the Biology students, sometimes limited to
guests from the sciences, sometimes open to any person. Interesting, all
participating regularly changed the list to reflect changed interests.
Anyhow, here goes, with the caveat that I won't rank the order. Just
today's four:

Marcel Duchamp--must set up the chess board after dinner
Martin Luther--I want to talk with someone willing to challenge THAT
level of authority.
Galileo Galilei
Ghandi

yeah, I'm sort of going for a theme here, and yes, the menu would be a
bitch. Probably, just order Chinese take-out and have done with it.....

Tom

Old February 12th, 2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 11, 8:06*pm, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/11/2011 8:16 PM, Giles wrote:

Encountering a horse that can solve differential equations (in German,
no less) and a dog that knows the difference between a pinyon and a
pinion (or between a pinion, a pinion, and a pinion, for all one
knows) sets a boys mind to wandering.

What might it be like to enjoy a lengthy late evening repast and
discussion with such illustrious celebrities?

ok, I am going to play along, but Wolfie, I had to admit that I first
read this part and wondered why I'd wish to eat dinner with a horse and
and a dog.....despite their attested-to talents.

Can't honestly say that I'd be much interested in sharing a repast
with a dog and a horse either.....though I'm sure it's done every day
in many places throughout the world. I was just sort of wondering
what it might be like.....not voluteering to do the research.

.....Steve Allen did it thirty

some years ago.....but enticing nevertheless.

Personally, I think I'd have a hard time planning a menu that would
thrill all those pleasant.....but the conversation would doubtless be
a stone cold ****in' thriller!

So, let us abandon cuisine in favor of cerebral stimulation.

Ignoring possible dietary tabbos, restrictions, preferences and other
impedimenta, and limiting the list to say, four invitees, who are the
number one through four guests (from any place or time on earth) on
your bucket list?

Hell, Allen probably brought it up earlier than that,

No idea when he first thought or brought it up, but he brought it to
television thirty some years ago.

but I always have
enjoyed the premise myself. Actually, it used to be a sort of grad
school routine exercise among the Biology students, sometimes limited to
guests from the sciences, sometimes open to any person. Interesting, all
participating regularly changed the list to reflect changed interests.

Yeah, the list would (and should) necessarily change from moment to
moment.....at least for any thinking person.

Anyhow, here goes, with the caveat that I won't rank the order. Just
today's four:

Marcel Duchamp--must set up the chess board after dinner

Familiar name, but I confess I had to look him up. I remember his
nude descending a staircase, but know virtually nothing else about him

Martin Luther--I want to talk with someone willing to challenge THAT
* * * * * * * * level of authority.

As later demonstrated, he was willing to challenge THAT level of
authority at least in part because he sort of itched to have it
himself. The only thing I've ever heard about Luther that resonated
with me (so to speak) is that he liked music. Of course, he WAS also
a knowledgeable theologian, and I can appreciate that......but that's
not quite the same thing as resonating. Still, I suspect he would
indeed be interesting to talk to, at least for a while.

Galileo Galilei

Yeah, he would definitely be interesting. Personally, I'd be less
interested in his science than in the conflict that his devotion to it
engendered. The tightrope he walked is a major theme in the history
of the last few centuries.....and is still with us, albeit in a more
attenuated form.....in some places, anyway. In some others, he would,
even today, find his position eerily (and uncomfortably) familiar,
even with regard to the same specific issue that got him in trouble
last time.

Ghandi

The Mahatma would be a daunting dinner guest. Some of the others I'd
invite would doubtless feel comfortable in his presence. I'd think
I'd be afraid to open my mouth. But then, that would doubtless be the
case with many others as well. I guess we just have to go on the
assumption that as host one would naturally be able to keep up with
the guests.....or that they would at least be willing to support the
pretense.

yeah, I'm sort of going for a theme here, and yes, the menu would be a
bitch. Probably, just order Chinese take-out and have done with it.....

Regardless of the roster I think that the above noted trepidation
notwithstanding, I'd rather try to keep up with the discussion than
plan a menu.

Meanwhile, one possible theme (dissent from the dominant paradigm)
seems fairly obvious.....but I suppose there are any number of others.

giles
who suspects that serving hot and sour soup to martin luther would be
an extraordinarily bad way to start an evening of productive and
enjoyable conversation.
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 2/11/2011 10:39 PM, Giles wrote:

Meanwhile, one possible theme (dissent from the dominant paradigm)
seems fairly obvious.....but I suppose there are any number of others.

giles
who suspects that serving hot and sour soup to martin luther would be
an extraordinarily bad way to start an evening of productive and
enjoyable conversation.

yup, you caught the theme well, and share the interest in Galileo's core
struggle. Further, in that crowd, I might as well try and plan a menu,
as I'd otherwise be doing far more listening and learning than
adding much to the conversation. As it always has been, a pleasant
exercise to consider such a list, thanks.
Tom
p.s. Steve Allen didn't bring that to TV until 1980 or thereabouts? I'm
not doubting your accuracy whatsoever, but it just seemed earlier......

Old February 12th, 2011, 05:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

Now, Giles, it is only fair to request your list, with all the caveats,
as well as the clear acceptance that it would be just today's list.
Heck, one could pleasantly envision a whole series of such gatherings,
albeit imaginary. I just don't want to get stuck with the dishwashing,
and perhaps the menu could be some sort of pot-luck supper.......

Tom
Old February 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Injun Joe

Joe the Elder offers---don"t know what your other guests would think
but eating dog and horse might offer some change. Instead of surff
and turf we could have ----Bow -wow and Trigger or Lassy andSilver !!
I shared dog with some Turkish troops in Korea. Not too bad if curry
sauce is very strong. When flying to Europe out of Raleigh airport
was surprised to find that most of luggage was horsemeat destined
for France !!!
Joseph

Old February 14th, 2011, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 12, 7:04*am, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 2/11/2011 10:39 PM, Giles wrote:

Meanwhile, one possible theme (dissent from the dominant paradigm)
seems fairly obvious.....but I suppose there are any number of others.

giles
who suspects that serving hot and sour soup to martin luther would be
an extraordinarily bad way to start an evening of productive and
enjoyable conversation.

yup, you caught the theme well, and share the interest in Galileo's core
struggle. Further, in that crowd, I might as well try and plan a menu,
as I'd otherwise be doing far more listening and learning than
adding much to the conversation.

If I was planning on doing less listening than talking I'd go
to......well, usenet, I suppose.

As it always has been, a pleasant
exercise to consider such a list, thanks.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

de nada.

p.s. Steve Allen didn't bring that to TV until 1980 or thereabouts? I'm
not doubting your accuracy whatsoever, but it just seemed earlier......

1977, according to my sources.

giles.

Old February 14th, 2011, 04:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 12, 11:53*am, Tom Littleton wrote:
Now, Giles, it is only fair to request your list, with all the caveats,
as well as the clear acceptance that it would be just today's list.
Heck, one could pleasantly envision a whole series of such gatherings,
albeit imaginary. I just don't want to get stuck with the dishwashing,
and perhaps the menu could be some sort of pot-luck supper.......

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

There is no "today's" list. On the days that it comes to mind the
list changes moment by moment.

Right now? Well, Twain ALWAYS looms large. T.H. Huxley would be an
interesting foil.....or goad. And if Huxley is there then
Darwin.....but no, not only too obvious, too dull. How about Billy
Graham? Yeah.....or Jim and Tammy Fay?
And then, just to keep things moving smoothly on an even keel,
Christopher Hitchens.

Menu? Tamales.....with wasabi.....and tequila shooters.

Theme? Absolutely irrelevant.

Or, how about Emmett Kelly, Red Skelton, George W. Bush, and Newt
Gingrich? Not as silly as it might appear. I've heard (and/or read)
interviews with both Kelly and Skelton. Both came across as
thoughtful and humane.

Hm.....

O.k., it's silly.

Theme? Personal integrity.

Menu? Gummi Bears and Chitos.

Marie Curie, Mother Theresa, Melissa Etheridge, Mary Shelley.

Theme? Which of you actually thinks you have something to say that
ALL of the others might possibly be interested in?

Menu? Pretty much whatever Melissa wants, I'd guess.

Mother Theresa, Joan of Arc, Mary Baker Eddy, Sojourner Truth.

Theme? Conciliation, cooperation, consensus.

Menu? You'll eat what's put in front of you!

Edward O. Wilson. Sigurd F. Olson, Snorri Sturluson, Peter
Matthiessen.

Theme? Patrimony.

Menu? Nope, not a clue on this one.

giles
who could go on for days and, needless to say, always experiences
difficulty in keeping imagination from bludgeoning insight.
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"Giles" wrote

who are the
number one through four guests (from any place or time on earth) on
your bucket list?

john f. kennedy (he is simply my favorite public person of all time)

roy black (the greatest trial lawyer i have ever seen)

justice william brennan (favorite supreme court justice)

diane keaton

menu: fried oysters from any fish house in calabash, n.c., la crema
chardonnay, pecan pie as made by patsy yelton of rowan county, nc, and a
bailey's to top things off.

yfitons
wayno

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Feb 14, 1:00*pm, "Wayne Harrison" wrote:
"Giles" wrote

who are the

number one through four guests (from any place or time on earth) on
your bucket list?

john f. kennedy *(he is simply my favorite public person of all time)

roy black *(the greatest trial lawyer i have ever seen)

justice william brennan *(favorite supreme court justice)

diane keaton

An endlessly fascinating exercise. Kept at the task for forty hours a
week, I suspect that srping would be well advanced before any of the
names on your list occurred to me.....and Mr. Black would presumably
have taken a great deal longer.

I've done this many times with many people and have yet to encounter
an uninteresting list, even......nay, ESPECIALLY.....when someone
tried hard to come up with one.

menu: *fried oysters from any fish house in calabash, n.c., la crema
chardonnay, *pecan pie as made by patsy yelton of rowan county, nc, and a
bailey's to top things off.

White wine with fried oysters?

Anchor Steam for me, please.

In any case, what with the recent encroachment of civilization (or, a
reasonable facsimile thereof, anyway), we here in S.W. Curdistan stand
ready to cater to pretty much any tastes (however frightful and
unaccountable) these days.

Meanwhile, we have heard rumors that your mobility ain't quite what it
used to be (there's a "hitch in yer gitalong" was, if memory serves,
the preferred term du jour during my tenure in the land below the line
beyond which Mssrs. Mason and Dixon could find no good reason to
venture). Reason enough (as if one was needed) to get up off your ass
and join the Miller/Bowen expedition to settle some very old scores,
come June.

Remember, Cheeselandia has more miles of trout streams per unit of
surface area than most.....and more vendors of alcoholic beverages
than the vast majority of sovereign nations.

Besides, whattya got to lose?

yfitons

Ditto, albeit not in precisely the same locale.

wayno

giles