Cricket Pattern

Old June 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM

Default Cricket Pattern

I was fishing this past weekend for bluegill. My wife was useing her
Ultralight set up and live brown crickets. She was catching them with
almost everycast. Me...fishing a few feet from her with my flyrod was
catching just a few. I tried every pattern I had that resembled a cricket
or something similiar. The fish would always go to the live cricket. I
tried different presentation techniques. Different methods of
retrievals....etc..etc.... To no avail. Is there pattern for a brown
cricket that anyone has had success with??? Thanks Mike

Old June 4th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Hooked

wrote in message ...
I was fishing this past weekend for bluegill. My wife was useing her
Ultralight set up and live brown crickets. She was catching them with
almost everycast. Me...fishing a few feet from her with my flyrod was
catching just a few. I tried every pattern I had that resembled a cricket
or something similiar. The fish would always go to the live cricket. I
tried different presentation techniques. Different methods of
retrievals....etc..etc.... To no avail. Is there pattern for a brown
cricket that anyone has had success with??? Thanks Mike

I would have to say that live bait will out fish a fly or a lure 10 to 1. If
you were catching gills on a pattern that resembled a cricket, then you
found the right pattern.

About the only thing that you could do would be to spend hours tying up some
realistic type cricket fly, and then soaking it in cricket juice...

Never mind. If you're gonna go that far, why fly fish. Use the best pattern
you have and have fun.

Old June 4th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Kevin

Old June 4th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Well....not to be contrary but I have found it to be quite the oposite,
that's just my experience. 9 times out of 10(LOL) I catch fish with my
flyrod and flys when "Bubba Baitbucket" is complaining the fish aren't
biting. {:O)

Old June 4th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Default Cricket Pattern(Bait Fishing vs Flyfishing)

Read what's below...would be curious what other people think. Thanks! MIKE
I WROTE: Well....not to be contrary but I have found it to be quite the
oposite,
that's just my experience. 9 times out of 10(LOL) I catch fish with my
flyrod and flys when "Bubba Baitbucket" is complaining the fish aren't
biting. {:O) MIKE

Someone Else Wrote:
IMO, a GOOD bait fisherman will out fish people using other types of
gear most of the time. However, at least in the States, there aren't
very many GOOD bait fishermen.

Old June 6th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Salmo Bytes

Someone wrote:

IMO A good fisherman can catch more fish with live bait than he will
with any artificial. Not as much fun though and I think the mortality is
greater using live bait.

That used to be the accepted wisdom. But (ironically) bait fishing
with circle hooks is beginning to change that. Even when a fish
bites down hard and holds on (doesn't spit, because it's bait)
a circle hook still doesn't grab until line tension pulls the hook
forward to the corner of the mouth.

In other words: many now think that circle hooks and bait cause
less hooking damage (and subsequent mortality) than, for instance,
streamer fishing with long, large, straigt point hook.
Old June 6th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Big Dale

Salmo Bytes wrote:snipIn other words: many now think that circle hooks and
bait cause
less hooking damage (and subsequent mortality) than, for instance,
streamer fishing with long, large, straigt point hook.

Good point. The program at The Dallas Flyfishers last monthly meeting was by
Ray Chapa who does a lot of fly fishing on the Texas Coast and the only fly he
uses for fishing on the jetties on the Texas Coast is The Spanish Macarena
which is tied on a Daiichi D85Z bleeding bait hook size 1/0 which is a circle
hook which he finds in the local Walmarts around his part of the Texas Coast.
Tyoing instructions are on his web site. These guys are beginning to learn how
to use two handed overhanded casting rods for fishing the jetties. This is
pretty new stuff down here. I don't see why that fly would not work on some of
the huge brown trout in the deep holes of some of your larger rivers in Montana
as well. He has a very interesting web site with a bunch of good links. You
might want to visit Http://www.Leftyray.com sometime just for ****s and grins.

Big Dale
Old June 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Salmo Bytes

ospam (Big Dale) wrote in message ...

Good point. The program at The Dallas Flyfishers last monthly meeting was by
(Lefty) Ray Chapa...snip...He has a very interesting web site...snip...
...visit
Http://www.Leftyray.com sometime just for ****s and grins.

Big Dale

Yes I know Lefty Ray well. I bought a rod from Lefty Ray once. It's a
long story, but communications got crossed and the deal got
complicated, and Lefty Ray went way beyond the expected call of duty
to make it work out for all concerned. He earned my respect forever.
Cool guy. Good website.