Salmon Fly Line Dillema

Old June 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM
Kim Sawyer

The message
from "W. D. Grey" contains these words:

As Hywel Morgan points out, there would be better flyfishermen around
if everyone first learned to cast using a salmon rod. They would have to
learn to let the rod do the work and take their time. It would be no
use thrashing about trying to force the rod - it just won't work.

Quite right. The longer length of a double-handed rod slows the action
of the cast, allowing beginners to more readily judge the period of
pause required for the line to straighten behind, before beginning the
forward move. I generally start them off on the lawn, casting into the
wind. If the rod can be heard cutting through the air they know they're
using too much force.

The old colonel I used to work for called those that thrashed about when
casting with a rod 'lion tamers'. The description was apt and it still
makes me smile.

Casting is NOT difficult, the angler must /feel/ what's happening with
the line.

And without looking to check. My pet hate are those anglers that
constantly turn their face to look back at the line. Apart from being e
very unsafe practice, the face flashes on and off like a semaphore
signal, even from a distance.

--
Kim Sawyer
Sutherland
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
The Leaping Frog

Hi All,

Since I started this thread I ought to tell you how my quest ended:

Went to a well known fishing tackle shop with my rod and reel. Waved my
stick with three different lines for 1.5 hour on their lake and in the end
bought a Snowbee floating spey line (the medium head length).
The following day I went by the Thames and practised for another 1.5 hour.
Result: delighted1 The new line makes a big difference and ...unsruprisingly
so does regular practice.

Thanks to all that contributed...Bill, Kim, WD Grey

Tightlines
Jerome