Need advice for Keys fishing trip

Old May 26th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Jorilla

Default Need advice for Keys fishing trip

My kids are 7 and 11. They have alot of fun catching the bait. I fish for
tarpon and cudas from shore. Dolphin are deep water fishing.

Go out on the Party boat "The MArathon Lady" Its a good sized boat and you
will catch lots of snapper. My kids love that boat.

"ressident" wrote in message
news:YW50aWdvbmU=.74107cb540ae4df5c40da542d0cd6f3a @1085543994.nulluser.com..
..
I am preparing to take the family to the keys for a fishing trip. We are
going to Big Pine Key. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
for some good fishing. I need info on bait, equipment, tactics, etc. My
children are 10 and 7 so please don't suggest any big game, deep sea

stuff.
. . I don't think they are ready for that yet.

I want to have fun with the kids catching snapper, dolphin, yellowtail,

etc.
Thanks.

Old May 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Outdoors Magazine

"ressident" wrote in message
news:YW50aWdvbmU=.74107cb540ae4df5c40da542d0cd6f3a @1085543994.nulluser.com...
I am preparing to take the family to the keys for a fishing trip. We are
going to Big Pine Key. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
for some good fishing. I need info on bait, equipment, tactics, etc. My
children are 10 and 7 so please don't suggest any big game, deep sea

stuff.
. . I don't think they are ready for that yet.

I want to have fun with the kids catching snapper, dolphin, yellowtail,

etc.
Thanks.

Hi,
Dolphin are blue water fishing.

Cut squid fished on the bottom will land you most of the others you are
looking for.

I would not count out dolphin fishing with the kids on a charter ... they
will remember it for a lifetime. I know a boat out of Key West with a mate
who would cater to your kids every step of the way. He is a first-rate guy.
Let me know if you want to know how to get hold of him. Email me directly
if you think I can help.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Dan Krueger

600' is about the starting point for dolphin. From Big Pine Key that's a good
15-20 miles out...

Dan

Old May 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
joe

In article
"ressident" wrote:

I am preparing to take the family to the keys for a fishing trip. We are
going to Big Pine Key. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions
for some good fishing. I need info on bait, equipment, tactics, etc. My
children are 10 and 7 so please don't suggest any big game, deep sea stuff.
. . I don't think they are ready for that yet.

I want to have fun with the kids catching snapper, dolphin, yellowtail, etc.
Thanks.

I am more of an inshore angler myself and even though the Keys offer
some reasonably close access to pelagic species there is so much shallow
water angling you would have plenty to cast at.

There are a handful of places you can wade and fish. Ann's Beach is one
(think that is the name) which is near Islamorada. The kids can play in
the water if they get board. I have never rented a boat in the Keys but
that may be an option. There are plenty of guides through out the area
and now should be good for tarpon, bonefish and permit. Barracuda are
plentiful and overlooked as a game fish I think. Numerous snapper
varieties should also be available.

My preference is artificials (either conventional or fly fishing) but
shrimp will catch most anything you are after. Shrimp tipped jigs work
well. Also, you can chum with shrimp when the tides are right to draw
the fish in.

Another option would be to rent kayaks to get out to water that is not
within wading distance.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--