Fishing for freshwater bottom feeders

Old June 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
tbacile

Default Fishing for freshwater bottom feeders

My friend and I are going rent a cabin on a private lake in Michigan's
UP. The owner was giving me details about the lake, saying that most
of it is 120 feet deep, but it goes as deep as 450 feet in some
parts. That lead me to believe that there must be some monster bottom
feeding fish in the lake. The cabin's owner told me that there are a
lot of "really big bottom feeders" that nobody ever fishes for. She
has seen huge suckers from time to time in shallower water in the
Spring. She said that she knows that there are catfish, suckers, and
carp, but was unsure about sturgeon (although its very possible). I
am a bass fisherman, but I would like to try and catch some of these
monsters. My questions for you bottom feeder fishing experts a

1- how deep is "too deep" to fish for freshwater cats, carp, suckers,
and sturgeons? I think we would fish in 80 to 120 feet of water,
unless that is too deep? Can we go deeper?

2- does the bait have to lieing on the bottom, or can it near the
bottom? Should I use a bottom bouncer?

3- favorite baits for cats, carp, suckers, and sturgeons? I've heard
chicken livers and worms.

Thanks!

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing
Cliff

I agree, not too many fish like that really dark deep stuff. But if you
fish the bottom along the shore that is a whole other matter.

Cliff

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town