Southern Hemisphere

Old April 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Southern Hemisphere

As I've mentioned, I'm trying to work out ways to be "gone fishing" more of
the year. Since ice fishing, and steelheading have no to very little
appeal to me, the only apparent avenue available is to travel to the other
half of the world.

I'm learning Spanish and leaning towards Patagonia,
But,
I bought some 'fish porn' videos of New Zealand a couple days ago. I must
say that as a fan of stalking and sight fishing it looks pretty darn good.
Big fish, visible fish.

Anyone here been to New Zealand, fishing? I'd be going for a couple
months and am as interested in information about availabilty of cheap
camping/ lodging and ground transportation as the actual fishing. In
other words, "travel" info over "fishing" info ... but I'm eager for any and
all information. I have ZERO interest in guides and guided fishing ...
just not my style.

Anyone been to Tasmania ? Other "bottom half" destinations with trout
available ( I have yet to find another type of fish as suited to my style
fly fishing .. i.e. small lures eaten in shallow water and in beautiful
areas ) in relatively pristine conditions and with little risk of being
eaten by the natives G

Old April 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Apr 24, 10:26 am, "Larry L" wrote:
[...]

A guide is a good investment, at least one or two days.
You'll get the hang of completely new drill a lot quicker.

I spent 3 weeks on the South Island once. That's almost enough
time to drive around and get the feel of the place, but not near
enough time to learn how to fish it. The south island has more big
rivers than you can imagine. Every 10 miles is another Snake River.

Tributaries to the big stems, near the west side, have big sea run
browns.
Tributaries further up the big stem rivers hold non-migratory fish.
But you have to move quickly and quietly and cover a huge amount of
ground. You won't see many fish. The ones you will see are spooky.
You get one shot at them and then they're gone for the day.
If you fish up behind someone (perhaps a mile upstream and out of
sight) you might not see a fish all day........and not know why.

There isn't much feed. These streams are so clear they're almost
barren. There are some better hatches way down low, near Gore
(thank you Al?). But many of the streams further up have darned few
insects. A system
like that supports a modest population of small critters, and a few
scattered
monsters. That's how it seemed to be to me. I caught one 25" female
brown
and a fair number of 18" fish. The 5 days we had scheduled for
serious fishing
got stormed out. We were on the west side, in late Jan early Feb, and
the
rivers were swollen and chocolate brown, from a week of torrential
rain.
Spend some time in Nelson. You might never want to come back.

There are lots of nice spring creeks. Ah. And you have to get
the books: the South Island Trout Fishing Guide, but John Kent, and
the other one--not as good but still worth it--Brown Trout Heaven.

The Maoris are all on the North Island, along with Aukland, which
is the nicest big city I've ever seen. We got to the main park
on the 30th anniversary of Bob Marley's death, and watched
a Maori reggae band sing Bob Marley songs....along with a huge
crowd of rowdy but safe and friendly Kiwis. Cars get stolen, in
Auckland,
but murder is almost non-existent.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"salmobytes" wrote

You'll get the hang of completely new drill a lot quicker.

I spent 3 weeks on the South Island once. That's almost enough
time to drive around and get the feel of the place, but not near
enough time to learn how to fish it. The south island has more big
rivers than you can imagine. Every 10 miles is another Snake River.

Heah, Sandy ! Glad I flushed you out G

Much of what you say is the impression I've had from other sources.
Especially the walking required and low number of fish.

Those things have limited my interest ... I have a very painful ankle/knee
.... but my fish porn videos don't stress them, so it got me wondering.

I'm used to fishing stingy, ungenerous, places ... and I usually fail
gracefully when I fail ... although several days in a row can bring out my
testy side G ... so I think I could deal with getting skunked, here and
there, a bit better than most anglers

As for a guide, I have nothing against a day or two to learn the ropes, ...
but even then the idea of some guy walking along then pointing,
---------------- "There's a fish, put on this fly, move over there 5 feet
above that rock, cast to the right edge of that seam. No, No, 4 feet
longer cast. Set, Set, SET !!! " is almost exactly opposite of my
reasons for fishing.

When I see guides and their johns floating along, on the Missouri or lower
HFork, the guide controlling the fly's drift with his oars far more than
the angler ... then "Set, Set !!" as the angler mindlessly stares into
space waiting for orders, I have the same reaction. I mean, .. why
not just pay someone to hook a fish for you, then you fight it and get your
picture taken ... ( now that I think about it I bet there ARE johns paying
guides to hook fish and hand them the rod ... oh, shudder, what a
disgusting thought )

Is the "spotter/ angler teamwork" really needed in NZ ( team, as opposed to
paid guide )? Even if a good friend was the spotter, after a day or two,
I think I'd still have a hard time enjoying being told where, and when to
cast ... and when to strike ... all that IS the fishing, reeling him in is
fun, sure, but even if he's huge it's still only a small part of the whole
package of skills

Plus, I've very likely to be alone.

Spring Creeks !! Is there an island, or part of one, that has the biggest
concentration? Access? I can't get involved in Paradise Valley style
pay to play, can't afford it more than a day or two. Even if it's sight
nymphing to fish far between I prefer the smoother water, and to be honest,
easier walking on my bad limbs, of such creeks and a pastoral setting.

Good to "see" ya, Sandy. I head your direction soon ... would be sooner
but I've gotten trapped into some mid-May family stuff .... I may actually
wait to leave here until after the Memorial holiday, although I'm still
aiming to hit West about a week before it.

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message

When I see guides and their johns floating along, on the Missouri or lower
HFork, the guide controlling the fly's drift with his oars far more than
the angler ... then "Set, Set !!" as the angler mindlessly stares into
space waiting for orders, I have the same reaction. I mean, .. why
not just pay someone to hook a fish for you, then you fight it and get
your
picture taken ... ( now that I think about it I bet there ARE johns paying
guides to hook fish and hand them the rod ... oh, shudder, what a
disgusting thought )

Several years ago on the Bitterroot we pulled over to let a guide fish
through. We could hear the guide telling the clients over and over they
needed to get the bug right on the bank. Just about the time they drifted
parallel to use, the guide reached back, grabbed the clients hand, whipped
the rod back and forth twice, laid it down and immediately set the hook,
while letting go of the guys hand, we could hear him say, "that's what I
mean by getting it on the bug on the bank!" Judging by the look on the guys
face, I don't think he appreciated it much.

JT

Old April 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

Spring Creeks !! Is there an island, or part of one, that has the biggest
concentration? Access? I can't get involved in Paradise Valley style
pay to play, can't afford it more than a day or two. Even if it's sight
nymphing to fish far between I prefer the smoother water, and to be honest,
easier walking on my bad limbs, of such creeks and a pastoral setting.

There are so many spring creeks it's hard to imagine.
There is one just west of Picton we were told was over-fished and not
much good. My wife lost a 5lb fish. My buddy Patrick caught a snaky
24"
fish. I missed a few. It was tough to fish: water 8' deep and banks
so
thick you can't walk.

Hokitika on the West Side has a two well-known creeks. I caught a
few 18" fish there and spooked one about 6-7 feet long.

But I don't think you want to fish the well-known creeks. You have
to hang out in the bars, drink beer and eat meat pies, and make
sheep jokes with the locals. Then you'll find out where to fish.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Apr 24, 2:29 pm, "JT" wrote:

Several years ago on the Bitterroot we pulled over to let a guide fish
through. We could hear the guide telling the clients over and over they
needed to get the bug right on the bank. Just about the time they drifted
parallel to use, the guide reached back, grabbed the clients hand, whipped
the rod back and forth twice, laid it down and immediately set the hook,
while letting go of the guys hand, we could hear him say, "that's what I
mean by getting it on the bug on the bank!" Judging by the look on the guys
face, I don't think he appreciated it much.

JT

That sort of thing happens when jaded guides (agate guides???) spend
too much time with beginning fishermen who can't really do it.
A good guide paired up with a skilled fisherman is fun day for both.
.......back to work now. Nuffathis talking and not fishing :-))))))
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"salmobytes" wrote

But I don't think you want to fish the well-known creeks. You have
to hang out in the bars, drink beer and eat meat pies, and make
sheep jokes with the locals. Then you'll find out where to fish.

Damn. I don't, can't, drink. I can do a pretty good job of "good ole
boy" ( US version ) however .... think I'll have any luck sippin' Diet
Coke and tellin' some cowboy jokes ? G

Old April 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JT" wrote

while letting go of the guys hand, we could hear him say, "that's what I
mean by getting it on the bug on the bank!" Judging by the look on the
guys face, I don't think he appreciated it much.

I should mention that most of the guides I see seem to be working very hard
at a job I sure wouldn't even want to try.

I'm just a do it yourselfer kinda guy, more than anti-guide. I am simply
more rewarded by moderate success all on my own, than bigger 'success' while
being lead and shown how.

yeah, weird ... I know G

Old April 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

Spring Creeks? Here's one of a thousand or more. This one is down near
Gore.

http://montana-riverboats.com/images...landSpring.jpg
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"salmobytes" wrote in message

Spring Creeks? Here's one of a thousand or more. This one is down near
Gore.

http://montana-riverboats.com/images...landSpring.jpg

Instantly reminded me of a relatively little known crick in Idaho that I
haven't fished in a few years .... need to get back there this summer