Name for a new book

Old February 16th, 2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton[_2_]

Default Name for a new book

Sandy, I think you ought to go with:
"You Call Those Flies??"

It'll make Fortenberry's day, echo a line I figure you must have heard a few
times, and grab attention on the sales rack.

Tom
p.s. Hell, I'd buy a book of your patterns.......

Old February 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

"sandy" wrote in message
. ..
I been thinking about writing/making a new fly tying book.
I've got all the patterns figured out.
But I need a name for the book.

I was thinking about "Lord of the Flies"
...what'a you sthnk?

Dun Tyin'

Bill

Old February 18th, 2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Feb 13, 5:34*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Heh, knowing the kinds of "flies" you tie I recommend
_Whirligigs, Contraptions and Other Oddities_ , or how
about _Weird Marvels in Foam and Plastic_. In any case
I would avoid the word "flies" at all costs.
Ken Fortenberry

Here's a photo link, to my new pattern, named the "Dingleberry"
This one is made entirely from natural materials:
duck flank, rooster hackle and thread.
This one is tied on a #22 Daiichi 1130

http://montana-riverboats.com/Robopa...l-Feathers.jpg
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

salmobytes wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Heh, knowing the kinds of "flies" you tie I recommend
_Whirligigs, Contraptions and Other Oddities_ , or how
about _Weird Marvels in Foam and Plastic_. In any case
I would avoid the word "flies" at all costs.

Here's a photo link, to my new pattern, named the "Dingleberry"
This one is made entirely from natural materials:
duck flank, rooster hackle and thread.
This one is tied on a #22 Daiichi 1130

http://montana-riverboats.com/Robopa...l-Feathers.jpg

Sweet ! Now that's a fly. But #22 ?!? Do you really fish
flies that small or do you just tie them out of masochism ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
salmobytes

On Feb 18, 9:36*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

Sweet ! Now that's a fly. But #22 ?!? Do you really fish
flies that small or do you just tie them out of masochism ?

If I'm no longer being asked to refrain from using the word "flies" to
describe
my own work, I'll stop using the afore-mentioned name for this fly.

I do fish with these flies, in October, during the Blue Winged Olive
hatch.
I also have have an easier-to-tie version I use more frequently.
I tie the fancy ones mainly for the fun of it.

The easy pattern is also a #20 - #22 Daiichi 1130.
The extended body and tails collapse into one, as a simple, long tuft
of duck flank.
The wing is duck flank.
The hackle is a simple "under-mounted crossbar" of Gray Zelon.
That fly has a nicely slim profile, and it doesn't get any easier to
tie.
I call that one the Ducktail. I works for itty-bitties, like Blue
Winged Olives,
but also for slightly larger mayflies, like PMDs.

The fancy extended body flies float well and work well.
But they are still mainly for show and tell.
The Ducktail is a fly to fish with.
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Bill Grey wrote:
"sandy" wrote in message
. ..

I been thinking about writing/making a new fly tying book.
I've got all the patterns figured out.
But I need a name for the book.

I was thinking about "Lord of the Flies"
...what'a you sthnk?

Dun Tyin'

Bill

That's pretty good.

Old February 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

wrote:

Heh, knowing the kinds of "flies" you tie I recommend
_Whirligigs, Contraptions and Other Oddities_ , or how
about _Weird Marvels in Foam and Plastic_. In any case
I would avoid the word "flies" at all costs.
Ken Fortenberry

Here's a photo link, to my new pattern, named the "Dingleberry"
This one is made entirely from natural materials:
duck flank, rooster hackle and thread.
This one is tied on a #22 Daiichi 1130

http://montana-riverboats.com/Robopa...le-Butt/All-Fe
athers.jpg

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful. I wish I could tie like that. If I
lost that fly I would be heart broken. How long did it take to tie,
Sandy? Most of my ties (all nymphs, btw) take less than 5 minutes, so
if I lose one (or two or three) I don't feel too bad. Joanne reckens
each fly I tie costs about $7 because of all the equipment/supplies I
have. d;o)

Old February 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

salmobytes wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Sweet ! Now that's a fly. But #22 ?!? Do you really fish
flies that small or do you just tie them out of masochism ?

If I'm no longer being asked to refrain from using the word "flies" to
describe
my own work, I'll stop using the afore-mentioned name for this fly. ...

Well, *now* I'm insulted. I thought Dingleberry was fine name
for a fly tied with all natural materials.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old February 18th, 2010, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

http://montana-riverboats.com/Robopa...Needle-Butt/Al....
athers.jpg

Beautiful! *Absolutely beautiful. *I wish I could tie like that. *If I
lost that fly I would be heart broken. *How long did it take to tie,
Sandy? *Most of my ties (all nymphs, btw) take less than 5 minutes, so
if I lose one (or two or three) I don't feel too bad. *Joanne reckens
each fly I tie costs about $7 because of all the equipment/supplies I
have. *d;o)

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Brenda has factored in trips to the emergency room in my cost per fly.
Frank Reid