Spinner Bait Rod

Old June 6th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Spinner Bait Rod

Ok... I'm still out there when it comes to the best spinner bait rod for
me. When I first started throwing spinnerbaits (safety pin style) I threw
1/4 oz mostly with an occassional 3/8. I used a 7' Quantum Trosion IM6
spinning rod and it worked. I caught fish on it. I even took one of my
biggest checks throwing those small blades on that spinning rod.

As you guys probably know Quantum Torsion rods fish well, but they are
pretty fragile so that rod is long gone.

I've been trying to find the ideal spinner bait rod for me ever since. For
me the biggest key to fishing a spinner bait is feeling the blades thumb in
the water... or more importantly feeling when they stop.

I've discovered that heavier spinner baits tend to dampen the thump going up
the line to the rod, and that as Bob Ricard might have mentioned once or
twice that one blade thumps more and harder then two blades. I've made
adjustments, but still ahve not found the right rod. Sometimes a couple of
thin willow blades are the ticket to getting bit, but its hard to feel them
pulse.

I spent a little time playing today and I discovered I had a Quantum Torsion
baitcasting rod in my bucket of junk rods. Nothing wrong with it except its
a cheap rod and its only 6'6". I happen to prefer 7' rods for almost
everything. I tried it. It works. Not as well as I would like, but better
than a bunch of more expensive rods I have.

All that being said, I had the opportunity to use a cusotm spinnerbait rod
the otehr day that a buddy of mine has. He had what looked like a 1/2 oz
with a couple moderate size will blades tied on. I made one cast to show a
new guy who was with us what I meant by slow rolling. Wow! Instantly I
felt a huge difference between has rod and any I have. The rod had the back
bone of flipping stick, but the tip was soft and mush like you might find on
a light power trout rod. It was very fast, but it was like two different
rods joined together about 10 inches from the tip. Basically the first 8-10
inches of a buggy whip on the end of a stour flipping stick. I immediatley
felt the resounding thump of hte bladesa nd when I looked at the tip of the
rod it was visibly pulsing more than an inch with each turn of the blades.
I could actually feel the disrythim of the two seperate blades turning at
the same time.

Where can I get me a rod like that?

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 7th, 2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Fishking" wrote in message
Steve Huber could probably make one for you

Maybe, but if the blank doesn't have the properties it doesn't have the
properties. Several manufacturers claim to make a "spinnerbait" specific
rod, and I don't mind paying for it, but I want to make sure its going to do
what I want first. Maybe a trip to the new BPS in Phoenix is in order so I
can see if they stock any of them. Its supposed to be a much bigger store
than the one in Vegas so I am hopeful. (The Vegas store was kinda
underwhelming.)

Old June 8th, 2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bill & Sue

Maybe a trip to the NWC to sample some of his rods. Dave Norton also makes
an exellent rod but I don't hear much from him lately. Doc
================================================== ===============================

Old June 9th, 2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Jun 6, 5:14 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
[...]

Seems to me, if you want a rod just like he has, you should ask him
where he got it and order one.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old June 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I might see if a few of his rods are still around. I know the guy who made
it personally. In fact I have one of his rods, but not one like that.
Anyway, he isn't in the rod business anymore. He broke down and got himself
a regular day job that pays better.

Old June 11th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Jun 8, 11:21 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Maybe he will remember which blank he used? He would not do you a
favor and make you one even if out of the business? If you can find
the exact blank Steve should be able to match the one you like.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Ronnie" wrote in message SNIP

Maybe he will remember which blank he used? He would not do you a
favor and make you one even if out of the business? If you can find
the exact blank Steve should be able to match the one you like.

I could do that if I knew the blank.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

On Jun 8, 11:21 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

text -

Maybe he will remember which blank he used?

I intend to ask him.

He would not do you a
favor and make you one even if out of the business?

He probably would. I'm sure he didn't sell all his stuff. He had a dozen
or so power rod rotation machines for drying glue. I have not talked with
Simon since I tried out that rod, but I imagine I'll run into him at
Sportsmen's or at one of the tournaments and then I can ask him.

If you can find
the exact blank Steve should be able to match the one you like.

Yeah that's possible too.

Old June 13th, 2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bass_Mr.

Hey welcome back Steve !
Tell us some bear stories !