Strike Indicators - Brian Chan article

Old May 16th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Padishar Creel

Default Strike Indicators - Brian Chan article

Fellow Roffians, on page 52 in the summer 2004 issue of Flyfishing & Tying
magazine, Brian writes a nice article about using strike indicators for
stillwaters. On page 54 is a photograph of a slip-rig type indicator and I
couldn't find them anywhere. I emailed Brian and he send a response so I
thought I would sha

Thanks for your inquiry about these indicators referred to in my Stillwater
Strategies Column in Flyfishing & Tying Journal. They are available from
Waters West Fly Fishing Outfitters in Port Angeles, WA. Phone #
(360)-417-0937. They can also be purchased directly from their website :
www.waterswest.com

Cheers, Brian Chan

Old May 17th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Gordon MacPherson

Padishar Creel wrote:
Fellow Roffians, on page 52 in the summer 2004 issue of Flyfishing & Tying
magazine, Brian writes a nice article about using strike indicators for
stillwaters. On page 54 is a photograph of a slip-rig type indicator and I
couldn't find them anywhere. I emailed Brian and he send a response so I
thought I would sha

Thanks for your inquiry about these indicators referred to in my Stillwater
Strategies Column in Flyfishing & Tying Journal. They are available from
Waters West Fly Fishing Outfitters in Port Angeles, WA. Phone #
(360)-417-0937. They can also be purchased directly from their website :
www.waterswest.com

Cheers, Brian Chan

Hi,
I regularly fish stillwaters with midge pupas on long leaders (20-30
ft). I use the floating yarn - if passed though the eye of a braided
leader connector and tied on with some nylon it will easily pass through
the rod rings when landing a fish

Gordon

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:04 PM
bruiser

How do you cast that rig Gordon? Thirty feet of leader - I don't think I'd
be able to get the fly out of my immediate vicinity!

bruce h

"

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM
riverman

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message

bruiser wrote:
How do you cast that rig Gordon? Thirty feet of leader - I don't think

I'd
be able to get the fly out of my immediate vicinity!

bruce h

"

Primary requirement is the wind behind you, preferably off one shoulder
(or no wind at all).
Cast as normal - keep the line high on the back cast. Almost impossible
to get the leader to straighten out - the flies (I usually have 3 at
about 7-10ft intervals)land to one side of the line - watch carefully -
if they do not all land on the same side you usually have a tangle!
I can get around 20-25 yds of line out.

10 yards of leader, 20 yards of line?!
Man, you must gets God's Own windknots in there at times!! I bet it breaks
your heart to have to cut off all that leader and retie...

--riverman

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:54 AM
bruiser

And of course it dawned on me that this would be a still water only
technique and probably from a boat?

bruce h

With a 5.5' rod? (G)