Gamakatsu Fly Tying Hooks - Opinion

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Cornmuse

Default Gamakatsu Fly Tying Hooks - Opinion

Although I have known about Gamakatsu hooks for some time, I was unaware
that they had line of specific fly tying hooks. I have used some of their
soft plastics hooks for specialty bass bugs, but that was about it.

I started used the Gamakatsu T10-6H salmon hook (love the bleeding-bait red
color) for a few deer hair flies and bass flies which call for such a beast
(Troth Bullhead, Whitlock 'Lectric Leach) after finding them on the peg
board at a local Bass Pro and was impressed by the manufactured quality.
Just this week I purchased some F14 dry fly hooks (size 6) and some F-17
mayfly nymph hooks (size 10) from an on-line source. I must admit that I am
quite impressed. The F17 especially made a very nice looking GRHE. It has
a slightly bent shank which gives the fly a "swimming" look, just about
perfect length for a nymph, too.

Anyone else using Gamakatsu and if so, what are your thoughts. Price vs.
competion, appearance and quality? So far I have to say I like what I am
seeing.

Joe C.

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Mike Connor

"Cornmuse" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
Anyone else using Gamakatsu and if so, what are your thoughts. Price vs.
competion, appearance and quality? So far I have to say I like what I am
seeing.

Joe C.

I have been using them for a few years. Very good quality, and reasonably
priced in comparison to some others ( at least here in Germany). I use some
of the "bait" hooks as well for some patterns. In the meantime I have quite
a range.

TL
MC

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Big Dale

Joe C wrote:snipAnyone else using Gamakatsu and if so, what are your thoughts.
Price vs.
competion, appearance and quality? So far I have to say I like what I am
seeing.

I have been using their hooks for bass bugs and a few for a hellgramite pattern
as well. They are kind of pricy, bit I don't mind that on a fly where I am
spending an hour to tie the fly like a bass bug 'cause they look soo cool. They
are also damn sharp. In this day and age 5 bucks for a package of 25 is ok for
that use or for flies tied to be donated to auctions. i also tie most of my
flies that I will use in Lake Fork on these hooks. I just have to believe that
should I ever hook a 13 pound plus bass on a fly rod, that the hook will not
fail me.

Big Dale
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Kevin

Joe I just started tying with them but, I have used them for quite awhile
now for bass fishing worms and lizards and there is no comparisons.