OT Comment on this group and fishing question

Old November 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default OT Comment on this group and fishing question

Its too bad that this fly fishing group is so lightly used.
It would be a wonderful alternative to another group that can be a bit
ridiculous w flaming wars -

Has anyone on this group fished the Karluk River on Kodiak Island?

Fred
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Nov 26, 9:08 am, wrote:
Its too bad that this fly fishing group is so lightly used.
It would be a wonderful alternative to another group that can be a bit
ridiculous w flaming wars -

Has anyone on this group fished the Karluk River on Kodiak Island?

Fred

Hi Fred,

I've certainly never fished on Kodiak island though I would love to
see a trip report and some photos. When are you planning on going?

Best,

Tim
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On 26-Nov-2007, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

i Fred,

I've certainly never fished on Kodiak island though I would love to
see a trip report and some photos. When are you planning on going?

Best,

Tim

We will be going end of June beginning of July
and Yes I will post a TR and photos
Last year we caught 4 sockeye about 10-12 lbs ea but I seem to really want
to try for a 30lb king on my 9 wt fly rod
I don't even know if I could land one- but it would be fun to try.

Fred
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Willi

wrote:
Its too bad that this fly fishing group is so lightly used.
It would be a wonderful alternative to another group that can be a bit
ridiculous w flaming wars -

There has always been acrimony in ROFF but along with that there used to
be a much wider group of people who posted. There was also more "good"
stuff posted (at least as i saw it and I'm not just referring to fishing
posts). I'm also thinking about using this group instead.

Has anyone on this group fished the Karluk River on Kodiak Island?

Fred

I've never been to Kodiak but have done two extended floats down two
different rivers in central Alaska. We were dropped off on small lakes
in the mountains and floated downstream for about 90 miles over two
weeks. The fishing was almost "virginal" and the experience great. Find
a reasonable spot and you could literally catch a Dolly or Grayling on
every cast. The Rainbows and Salmon were more of a challenge but still
very plentiful. We're heading back to a different river again next Summer.

I don't know if it would work for you but even a short jump in a float
plane or a ride in a jet boat can get you into some wild country with
some great fishing. Much of the water accessible by road can be combat
fishing at its worst during salmon season, especially Kings.

http://crystalglen.net/Fishing/Evninala.jpg

Willi
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:59 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On 26-Nov-2007, Willi wrote:

There has always been acrimony in ROFF but along with that there used to
be a much wider group of people who posted. There was also more "good"
stuff posted (at least as i saw it and I'm not just referring to fishing
posts). I'm also thinking about using this group instead.

but have done two extended floats down two
different rivers in central Alaska. We were dropped off on small lakes
in the mountains and floated downstream for about 90 miles over two
weeks. The fishing was almost "virginal" and the experience great

I don't know if it would work for you but even a short jump in a float
plane or a ride in a jet boat can get you into some wild country with
some great fishing. Much of the water accessible by road can be combat
fishing at its worst during salmon season, especially Kings.

Willi

I well remember your fotos of that trip.
Thanks
I have some friends in Kodiak forom my last trip. - dont really care for
the town but the other side of the Island native or uninhabited
I hate the missile base on Kodiak but I guess that's modern life????

The Karluk River is the only river that one can wade and flyfish for kings
for the next 3 yrs
Then 3 more rivers will open up to early Kings
I don't want to boat fish .

KArluk is an indian village of a few ghundered - 400 I think
There is an outfitter near the Indian village and he uses the #1 native
guide
It looks like a little bit of a hairy raft-float trick to get there everyday

It is a fast river but I saw some footage on the kings - Wow
I want a 30 lber
If I can't land him so be it.
Its $2500 per person for 5 days w hopefully edible - meals in a room -shack
so I cannot take my wife
I am looking into doing it

If I go sometime w my wife I know another place for $1400 per day
You only live once and she would enjoy that - perhaps I will go again but
twice

As per ROFF
I am just hangin in there - Some of that stuff going on is amazing.
Humans fight. - Comabat fishing and flaming
Yet
I have gleaned some good info and there are some decent people there but the
noise is too loud
I like acoustic blues at mid and low levels

Fred

Fred
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Willi

wrote:

[...]

Sounds fun. We went during Silver season both times but last year there
were a few Kings still in the river high up. Impressive fish.

As per ROFF
I am just hangin in there - Some of that stuff going on is amazing.
Humans fight. - Comabat fishing and flaming
Yet
I have gleaned some good info and there are some decent people there but the
noise is too loud
I like acoustic blues at mid and low levels

I've pretty much given up on ROFF. Most of the friends I've made through
ROFF either don't post anymore or post very little.

I like the blues too and like it raucous but it's the distortion I don't
like.

Willi
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Willi

Guy wrote:

Willi,
On your float trip in Alaska, was it a monumental task to pack for a 2 week
float trip? What did your guides provide. Did you supply your own tents,
sleeping bags, cots, mattresses, etc. I did see a bunch of pics of the trip
form either you or Chas. Can't remember.
Yours Jealously,
Guy

The trips were self guided but through an outfitter. The outfitter
dropped us off and picked us up at the bottom of the river. We rented
our rafts and a few other things from him. You could rent most
everything from the outfitter except for your personal items if you
wanted. Most of the stuff we brought from home. Some food we brought
from home but most was purchased in the small town were we got the
float plane. Food sure isn't cheap in Alaska.

It did take some planning but the outfitter and our camping experience
made it pretty manageable. We came up with a list and divided the things
up among everyone going. You can fly with 100 pounds of luggage plus
your carry on. That's alot of stuff. I don't think we forgot anything
important on either trip. It's fun doing a trip like that on your own
instead of having everything done for you and the cost is less than half
of a guided trip.

Willi

Old November 28th, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On 26-Nov-2007, Willi wrote:

I've pretty much given up on ROFF. Most of the friends I've made through
ROFF either don't post anymore or post very little.

I like the blues too and like it raucous but it's the distortion I don't
like.

Willi

Thats a shame - I can understand why
I am lessening my frequency of posts and I have several people blocked.

I belong to several newsgroups - mando and string and photo newgroups
On the photo groups there is some flaming but nothing like the nastiness and
idiocy of ROFF
I hope that a few of the flamers do not find their way here.

I will help in anyway that I can w this list
Winter in MT is a good time to post about fishing for next year

I was thinking of going to Twin Bridges sometimes just to meet some of the
boo boys and of course - to fish

Fred
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
salmobytes

On Nov 28, 3:46 pm, wrote:
....good stuff. I visited the Boo Boys shop a month or two ago.
Had a blast. Welcome aboard. It's fly tying season now, no?

Got any good patterns to share?
Old November 29th, 2007, 12:10 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On 28-Nov-2007, salmobytes wrote:

Got any good patterns to share?

Sorry man!

I used to say that I did not have the time and that I would rather be
playing music w my time but the truth is
My eyesight was never great and with age it has gotten worse.
I used to tie 00 and 02 flies for stripers when we lived in NH.

Now... I can't even see to tie on #14's - barely..
I try to take one of my young minions w me to help

Fred