Frog Fanny ...sub

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Frog Fanny ...sub

Some time ago we had a discussion of substitutes for "Frog's Fanny"
I've tried several that were mentioned and then somewhere stumbled onto
these people

All normal disclaimers .... I have no ties to the business

I have used this refill powder for over one full season and am 100% pleased
( it IS a bit of a bitch to get into the old FF bottle and I got a tiny
funnel just to do so ). I buy it 5 bottles at a time.

http://www.kumaflyfishing.com/

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L wrote:
Some time ago we had a discussion of substitutes for "Frog's Fanny"
I've tried several that were mentioned and then somewhere stumbled onto
these people

All normal disclaimers .... I have no ties to the business

I have used this refill powder for over one full season and am 100% pleased
( it IS a bit of a bitch to get into the old FF bottle and I got a tiny
funnel just to do so ). I buy it 5 bottles at a time.

http://www.kumaflyfishing.com/

So you go though a lot of Cab-o-Sil, Larry?

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Like RW said: cabosil
Fiberglass supply places sell it by the
bushel for thickening fiberglass resin mixtures.
I use it for boat building.....for making thickened
glue putty, with epoxy resin, cabosil, bleached
linen fibers and fine sawdust.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote

So you go though a lot of Cab-o-Sil, Larry?

I never found "Cab-o-Sil" brand, but I found some resin thickening product
that appeared to be like FF at a boat shop and tried it. I wasn't nearly
as good as Frog Fanny or the stuff I just posted..... it 'dried" a fly but
did NOT seem make it repel water, you know carry bubbles if held under, ( I
first heard of powdered floatants to use on a Bird's Nest nymph, not dry
flies ) ..... but I don't doubt you that "cab-o-sil" is the same as FF and
this stuff I was just packing and saw a few bottles so I posted while
it was on my ( alleged ) mind

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

A guy on the Wisconsin Fly Fishing message board claims that this stuff
is identical to FF and you get about 5 times as much for the same
price:

http://www.gatewayfeathers.com/acces...roofing_powder

True or not? I don't know.

g.c.

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 16 May 2006 21:19:21 -0700, "Larry L"
wrote:

"rw" wrote

So you go though a lot of Cab-o-Sil, Larry?

I never found "Cab-o-Sil" brand, but I found some resin thickening product
that appeared to be like FF at a boat shop and tried it. I wasn't nearly
as good as Frog Fanny or the stuff I just posted..... it 'dried" a fly but
did NOT seem make it repel water, you know carry bubbles if held under, ( I
first heard of powdered floatants to use on a Bird's Nest nymph, not dry
flies ) ..... but I don't doubt you that "cab-o-sil" is the same as FF and
this stuff I was just packing and saw a few bottles so I posted while
it was on my ( alleged ) mind

Not this again...and aren't you the guy who we went through all this
with a couple of years back? "Cab-O-Sil" is a range of products, not a
specific, singular product. If you want a sub for Frog's Fanny, you
need a/the _hydrophobic_ (treated) version(s). IOW, all versions of
"Cab-O-Sil" are not created equal, and the wrong one will not only not
work, it may well be the opposite of what you want for floating flies.
For those that want to know about all the chemical crapola, go to
Cabot's website and enjoy. For those that just want a batch of a sub at
a good price, get the most hydrophobic version and enjoy.

HTH.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

The stuff I buy in large bags, for not much,
for thickening epoxy resin works just fine on flies.

Old May 17th, 2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 17 May 2006 07:24:56 -0700, wrote:

The stuff I buy in large bags, for not much,
for thickening epoxy resin works just fine on flies.

Is it labeled or do you otherwise know which "Cab-O-Sil"/Cabot product
it is?

TC,
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"rw" wrote in message
m...

So you go though a lot of Cab-o-Sil, Larry?

I got a bag of Cab-O-sil ($15 for enough for several lifetimes) and it is
great for drying out flies, but you must be diligent in removing all of it
from the flies you want to float as it is hydrophyllic.
It is not a substitute for Frogs Fanny which is hydrophobic. I contacted
several suppliers of Cab-O-sil in an effort to find a source of the treated
Cab-O-sil (hydrophobic), but could find none that would talk to me unless I
was wanting industrial level quantities.
I understand that the material sold in archery shops to treat arrow
fletching is the same as Frog's Fanny, but I have yet to check it out.

Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR