Fishing for a first-timer? Any tips?

Old November 16th, 2005, 07:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Fishing for a first-timer? Any tips?

My 8 year old son wants to go fishing next week when we're in Sacramento on
vacation. I haven't been fishing since I was a kid, so I was wondering if
anyone has any advice. We'll be near Folsom Lake:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/folsom.gif

I'd really, really like for him to catch something. Obviously, we'll have
to be standing on the shore somewhere.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? Any particular kind of
bait?

Thanks in advance.

MC

Old November 16th, 2005, 11:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing

"Marty Christion" wrote in message
My 8 year old son wants to go fishing next week when we're in Sacramento

on
vacation. I haven't been fishing since I was a kid, so I was wondering if
anyone has any advice. We'll be near Folsom Lake:

http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/folsom.gif

I'd really, really like for him to catch something. Obviously, we'll have
to be standing on the shore somewhere.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? Any particular kind of
bait?

I know this is going to sound pretty basic but first I wouldnt spend a lot
of money on equipment. Go to Walmart or some other local store and get a
Zebco 202 or some other similar model or Rod and Reel. Since this is his
first time and your since you were a kid and your going to be on your own,
go with old faithful...a hook, float and worm and fish for bluegill, bream
or spot or some other type of easily caught panfish. Others might reccomend
something else but I recomend using a number 6 hook or smaller, a float
(medium size) about 3 feet up from the hook (so your fishing 3 down) and
using pieces of worm about 1/4-1/2 long. You might also consider putting a
tiny splitshot or two near the top of the hook. WHen you locate the spot you
want to fish, cast out about 10 feet and slowly reel in, very slowly. By the
time you get within 2-3 feet of shore you will probably get some bluegill
hits. Thats about as basic as it gets. Oh and the best place to fish like
this is near built up areas like a pier or somerthing. Not in some large
open area. One last thing, dont be embarrased about going to your local bait
shop and asking them questions.