Fishing question

Old October 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM
Jeff

Default Fishing question

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
How do you all feel about fish and release. I love to fish, but I don't
like to eat the fish so they are released, when I mention this some people
feels that it is not a nice thing to do. You should fish to eat or not

fish
at all. I'm just curious as to what the opinion of this group is.

--

I fish for fun, I work to eat and I golf to drink beer.

Old November 1st, 2005, 12:08 AM
Jeff

"Terry Lomax" wrote in message
oups.com...

but many northerners practice a bizarre Yankee ritual
called "shore lunch".

I have been fishing for 40 years. First time I heard of "Shore Lunch" was at
Woodlands Park Colorado. I was fishing there one early cold morning in 1992
and saw this group along the bank cooking. (I always fished off the Dam). I
walked over being that I was nosy to see if they had caught anything. There
were 4 of them, I recall that they had about 50 trout. Stockers about 12
inches long. And they were frying them up. I am for the most part a C&R
fisherman with the exception of Catfish. Anyway, they had about 50. IIRC the
possesion limit was 8. They told me they were having "Shore Lunch" at 7 in
the morning. I know for a fact this group didnt eat 50 fish, were well in
excess of possesion limits and I have no doubt some were under 12 inches.
When the game warden came along later that morning, I sent him thier way.

Old November 1st, 2005, 03:22 AM
Tightwad

I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:08 AM
Stinkweed

"Jeff" wrote in message

[...]

To be honest, I had never heard of "shore lunch" before.

Old November 1st, 2005, 04:12 AM
Stinkweed

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
How do you all feel about fish and release. I love to fish, but I don't
like to eat the fish so they are released, when I mention this some
people
feels that it is not a nice thing to do. You should fish to eat or not

fish
at all. I'm just curious as to what the opinion of this group is.

--

I fish for fun, I work to eat and I golf to drink beer.

I fish for fun, I.. well, I fish for fun and enjoy life I am retired.

Old November 1st, 2005, 04:13 AM
Stinkweed

"Tightwad" wrote in message
I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Old November 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM
Rodney

Stinkweed wrote:

To be honest, I had never heard of "shore lunch" before.

Shore lunch is a common service provided by guides, especially Walleye,
and trout guides. Most of the time they catch a daily limit, then go to
the shore and fix it up for lunch, then continue fishing, keeping
another daily limit. It's not legal, but they have eaten the evidence of
keeping more than the daily limits.

I have to admit, eating fish that fresh on the bank somewhere, sure is a
great out door experience

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Rodney

Stinkweed wrote:

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Almost everywhere in the US, they are great "little" pan fish, pound for
pound, out fighting everything, they are easy to catch and most kids
first fishing experience is catching them, they hit worms, and other
small insects . They are one of the best tasting fish in US waters

Old November 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM
Tightwad

Stinkweed wrote:

"Tightwad" wrote in message

I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Bream are known as Sunfish , Blugills, etc. This is on the tennessee
River System. These fish are all over North America so I assume you are
from elsewhere.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM
Rodney

Stinkweed wrote:

Hey I like your paddle boat in the picture.

That's "Peddle"

That thing is the greatest , The trouble is, I can't keep the wife, kids
and grand kids out of it, so I can use it fishing, they scoot all over
the lake on it,, we have a 4 passenger peddle boat as well, but it is
slow compared to the Out Back fisherman. It is so stable, no one has
ever flipped it, my son can get 8 miles an hour when peddling it, it
actually throws a wake.

For those who don't know what fishing boat we are talking about, it's on
my home page, it's a Hobie Out Back Fisherman , you peddle it with
your feet so your hands are free to fish, you can still paddle it (which
is it's only reverse), it comes fully rigged for fishing, anchor, 4 rod
holders, tackle box, and even a cooler. It has wheels that you stick
under it and it can be rolled anywhere you can walk, although it only
weighs 67 pounds