Fishing question

Old November 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Rodney

Default Fishing question

Stinkweed wrote:
"Rodney" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

I guess our last fish fry was Bream then, the Bluegill.

Yep, it covers a dozen or so related species

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM
Stinkweed

"Rodney" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

To be honest, I had never heard of "shore lunch" before.

Shore lunch is a common service provided by guides, especially Walleye,
and trout guides. Most of the time they catch a daily limit, then go to
the shore and fix it up for lunch, then continue fishing, keeping another
daily limit. It's not legal, but they have eaten the evidence of keeping
more than the daily limits.

I have to admit, eating fish that fresh on the bank somewhere, sure is a
great out door experience

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Thanks for explaining this to me, I had never heard of this before. My
brother has told me before that he has fished and eaten some trout that he
caught right after catching them and he said there is no better taste. I
was surprised at the attitude as I know my brother wouldn't do anything
wrong like kill them just for the fun of it. This summer when our son come
out with his kids, we fished on the lake for perch and had fish fries, I
know the fish did taste very good and we ate all that we caught. But Bass,
we put back, no matter how big.
Hey I like your paddle boat in the picture. We have a pontoon and we fish
off it a lot, but our favorite is to take our 2 person paddle boat out and
fish off it. Good exercise and lots of fun. When we use it we use don't
laugh ice fishing poles because they are so small that the work perfect
with the paddle boat.

Old November 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM
Stinkweed

"Tightwad" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

"Tightwad" wrote in message

I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to
eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Bream are known as Sunfish , Blugills, etc. This is on the tennessee River
System. These fish are all over North America so I assume you are from
elsewhere.

OK, just never heard of them called that I guess. Yes, the Bluegills and
Sunfish do put up a great fight, you think "boy do I have a whopper this
time" only to find it is a Bluegill. I find Perch fun to catch too. I
would like to catch a Big Northern one day, but we will have to get a more
portable boat to fish in another lake. All we have right now is a pontoon.
It is already pulled out for the winter now. :-(

Old November 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM
Stinkweed

"Rodney" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Almost everywhere in the US, they are great "little" pan fish, pound for
pound, out fighting everything, they are easy to catch and most kids first
fishing experience is catching them, they hit worms, and other small
insects . They are one of the best tasting fish in US waters

Old November 1st, 2005, 08:30 PM
Stinkweed

"Rodney" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:

Hey I like your paddle boat in the picture.

That's "Peddle"

That thing is the greatest , The trouble is, I can't keep the wife, kids
and grand kids out of it, so I can use it fishing, they scoot all over the
lake on it,, we have a 4 passenger peddle boat as well, but it is slow
compared to the Out Back fisherman. It is so stable, no one has ever
flipped it, my son can get 8 miles an hour when peddling it, it actually
throws a wake.

For those who don't know what fishing boat we are talking about, it's on
my home page, it's a Hobie Out Back Fisherman , you peddle it with your
feet so your hands are free to fish, you can still paddle it (which is
it's only reverse), it comes fully rigged for fishing, anchor, 4 rod
holders, tackle box, and even a cooler. It has wheels that you stick under
it and it can be rolled anywhere you can walk, although it only weighs 67
pounds

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Boomerang Fishing Pro. ,Stand Out Hooks ,Stand Out Lures,
Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Decoy Activator
and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

I never noticed as I just went through there really fast, do you sell them?
How much? We just got Kayaks summer before last and have enjoyed them a
great deal, but I can't fish in them. My husband won't even try. Are they
easier to use than the paddle boat? I know after awhile my legs get pretty
tired in it even with my husband peddling too. But I need him there with me
to get the fish off the hook for me. I'm learning to do it, but he can do
it much quicker and get the fish back in the water. I actually like to fish
more than he does. He wants to come in way before I do. So we compromise
and stay just a little longer. :-)

Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:47 AM
Jeff

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
How do you all feel about fish and release. I love to fish, but I

don't
like to eat the fish so they are released, when I mention this some
people
feels that it is not a nice thing to do. You should fish to eat or not

fish
at all. I'm just curious as to what the opinion of this group is.

--

I fish for fun, I work to eat and I golf to drink beer.

I fish for fun, I.. well, I fish for fun and enjoy life I am retired.

Me too. Retired Military. Came back from Iraq (Government COntractor) in
April and spent 5 months just fishing every day. Thought I would get tired
of fishing but never did.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:48 AM
Jeff

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

"Tightwad" wrote in message
I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to

eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Down here in the South we have tons of Bream, back where I am originally
from (Maryland) we called them Spot.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:48 AM
Stinkweed

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
How do you all feel about fish and release. I love to fish, but I

don't
like to eat the fish so they are released, when I mention this some
people
feels that it is not a nice thing to do. You should fish to eat or
not
fish
at all. I'm just curious as to what the opinion of this group is.

--

I fish for fun, I work to eat and I golf to drink beer.

I fish for fun, I.. well, I fish for fun and enjoy life I am retired.

Me too. Retired Military. Came back from Iraq (Government COntractor) in
April and spent 5 months just fishing every day. Thought I would get tired
of fishing but never did.

Thank you for what you have sacrificed/done for our country. I can't think
of a better way to come home and heal than to pick up a fishing pole and go
fishing. There is something so relaxing yet exciting about fishing.
Fishing is over here for the season unless I do it from the bank, as the
boat has been brought in along with the dock. We are going to have some
nice days coming up though so maybe I can throw my line out before the week
is over. :-)

Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:55 AM
Stinkweed

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

"Tightwad" wrote in message
I catch and release. If a fish is hooked deep or bleeding I keep it to

eat.
I catch Bream and Bass, in the weedbeds, on top by the dozens, even a
more than a hundred on occassion. There is no way I could justify keep
them all.

I have not heard of Bream, where are you from?

Down here in the South we have tons of Bream, back where I am originally
from (Maryland) we called them Spot.

I'm not familiar with Spot either. We just call a Bluegill a Bluegill and a
Sunfish a Sunfish. Seems like I might have heard them refered to as Panfish
though.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:36 AM

I think Sunfish covers it. I'm not anything on Fish Biology.
We have Red Ear Sunfish, Pumpkin Seeds, Shell Crackers and several other
distinctively different ones. The Shell Crackers are the largest,
usually, sometimes weighing over 1 1/2 lb.
You can catch a bit of everything that swims in the weed beds.
I've caught many many Bass up to six pounds, Catfish, Crappie, White
Bass, and Hybrid Bass and Stiped Bass even a few Sauger.
I had such a high pressure job, that every evening I would go to the
weedbed with Poppers and catch countless fish.