Fishing question

Old November 5th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Bill McKee

Default Fishing question

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
news:8VJaf.4$vC6.2@trnddc05...
From: "Bill McKee"

| White Bass are not striped bass. Hybrids are a cross between a striped
bass
| and a white bass. Fresh and salt water striped bass are the same bass.
| Striped bass are anadromous in nature. They go to sea and spawn in
fresh
| water rivers. They can also stay in the rivers forever. So the striped
| bass has been transplanted all over the place. Here in the San
Francisco
| bay area, they go up the Sacramento and San Joaquin river to spawn and
the
| majority go to the ocean in the summer to feed. We catch them off the
| beaches north and south of the Golden Gate. As well as in the rivers.
Lots
| up the rivers now, so go fishing until the water cools more, and they
slow
| down. The were originally planted in the late 1800's and 5 years
later
| there was a commercial fishery for them.

Those Striped Bass transplanted in the late 1800's in your waters were
taken not too far off
my beach here in NJ.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

And we appreciate that.

Old November 5th, 2005, 04:15 AM
Bill McKee

From: "Jeff"

From: "Bill McKee"

--

| And Striped Bass are not Striped Bass, just another name for a ROCKFISH.
| Yea, I'm a Marylander, but anyone on the Bay knows they are Rockfish.

A rose by any other name... :-)

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

And a Rockfish here in the west is a member of the Sebastes family of fish.

Old November 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Jeff

nk.net...

From: "Jeff"

From: "Bill McKee"

| White Bass are not striped bass. Those Striped Bass transplanted

in
| the late 1800's in your waters were taken not too far off
my beach here in NJ.

--

| And Striped Bass are not Striped Bass, just another name for a

ROCKFISH.
| Yea, I'm a Marylander, but anyone on the Bay knows they are Rockfish.

A rose by any other name... :-)

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

And a Rockfish here in the west is a member of the Sebastes family of

fish.

Thats the species, not the name. Notice the NAME surrounding that SPECIES.
Quillback Rockfish, Black Rockfish. They are all rockfish.

Old November 5th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Bill McKee

"Jeff" wrote in message

nk.net...

From: "Jeff"

From: "Bill McKee"

| White Bass are not striped bass. Those Striped Bass transplanted

in
| the late 1800's in your waters were taken not too far off
my beach here in NJ.

--

| And Striped Bass are not Striped Bass, just another name for a

ROCKFISH.
| Yea, I'm a Marylander, but anyone on the Bay knows they are Rockfish.

A rose by any other name... :-)

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

And a Rockfish here in the west is a member of the Sebastes family of

fish.

Thats the species, not the name. Notice the NAME surrounding that SPECIES.
Quillback Rockfish, Black Rockfish. They are all rockfish.

We call all the members of the family rockfish. We say we got a limit of
Rockfish. We do not say we got a couple of China Cod, a few Bolinas for a
limit of fish. We just say we are going for rockfish and we get a limit of
rockfish. They may be called rockfish as they live in the rocky reefs and
you also hook a lot of rocks and lost some gear to the rocks, when fishig
for "rockfish". I think stripers are only called rockfish in the Chesapeake
and in the southern regions.

Old November 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Bill McKee"

| We call all the members of the family rockfish. We say we got a limit of
| Rockfish. We do not say we got a couple of China Cod, a few Bolinas for a
| limit of fish. We just say we are going for rockfish and we get a limit of
| rockfish. They may be called rockfish as they live in the rocky reefs and
| you also hook a lot of rocks and lost some gear to the rocks, when fishig
| for "rockfish". I think stripers are only called rockfish in the Chesapeake
| and in the southern regions.

Well I'll tell 'ya...

No matter where you are located they are actually called Morone Saxatilis :-)

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old November 6th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Jeff

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
nk.net...

I think stripers are only called rockfish in the Chesapeake
and in the southern regions.

Wrong. The species is called Rockfish pretty much everywhere by Scientists
because thats is its name, under various subspecies as well. Anyway, since
were on the subject of Rockfish, thought I would drop this link to a
rockfish fishing video of the future. Really you have to watch the whole
thing. Its 8 minutes long.

http://www.blur.com/html_quicktime/rockfish_480.html

Old November 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Bob La Londe

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

Thanks Dave, I knew about the water, they can't be out long and didn't
think it hurt to hold them by the lower jaw for a quick picture. That is
true if you tried to hold it and your hand wasn't wet that would for sure
hurt the fish. Although I didn't know the reason why your hands had to be
wet, I'm a little squeamish, so I have used a very wet rag. I'm not a big
fisherman, err fisher lady, but I live on a lake and I love to fish. I
have since I was a kid and don't have to catch a monster to make me happy,
but is would be nice.

You wet your hands so they don't wipe off the fish slime. The dry rag or
even a wet rag will remove even more of the fishes potective slime than your
hands.

I personally think lifting a bass by the jaw so that it hangs vertically is
less harmful than wrapping your dry hands or worse a rag around the body of
the fish.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 6th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Stinkweed

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

[...]

Thats what we had always thought, hold it by the lower jaw take the hook out
and get it back in the water.

Old November 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Bob La Londe

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

Sounds very interesting, I have called my little peddle boat a paddle
boat for so long it is going to be hard to remember I am using the wrong
name. I will have to go back and take another look at it.

Most peddle boats are paddle boats. If they have fins or a propellor they
aren't, but those with the big flat paddles that hit the water and push the
boat forward are also paddle boats.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old November 13th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Stinkweed

"Stinkweed" wrote in message

Sounds very interesting, I have called my little peddle boat a paddle
boat for so long it is going to be hard to remember I am using the wrong
name. I will have to go back and take another look at it.

Most peddle boats are paddle boats. If they have fins or a propellor they
aren't, but those with the big flat paddles that hit the water and push
the boat forward are also paddle boats.

--
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

To be honest I don't know what this has on the bottom of it, some black
rubber things that move when you peddle your feet, it is for 2 people and
has a canopy, it gives your legs one heck of a work out, till you get used
to using it.