Winston top bamboo rod makers pushed out for being liberals?

Old December 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Winston top bamboo rod makers pushed out for being liberals?

http://missoulian.com/articles/2005/...cal/news02.txt

Old December 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
http://missoulian.com/articles/2005/...cal/news02.txt

Where have you been? This is old news back to November and has been
discussed ad nauseum on other forums. As I understand it, it was not about
politics as who was going to replace Brackett when he retired. Sad to see
Winston going through these changes, Brackett was always courteous and
forthright on the few discussions we had and what he had with others from
what I understand. If I was in the market for a Winston boo, I sure wouldn't
be paying 3K for a rod made by someone with three month's training but we
will see what transpires. All the press and internet postings has been the
boo boys' story, Winston has made no public statement other than
acknowledging the resignation, their service, wishing them well, and stating
the product line will continue. As a bamboo lover, I hate to see the change.
As a manager I sure don't like that they can't just resign quietly and
leave.

What is sadder is that Winston and now St. Croix felt they had to outsource
their *entry* level rods to asia to get the price point down to the
neighborhood of the Cabela's and TFO's of the world. Well some of you got
your "just as good cheap rods". Sooner, than later you will be kissing your
local fly shop good bye.

I just started reading Jerry Kustick's new book, he certainly loved the
conditions under which he did work.

Wayne

Old December 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I understand it's old news, but it was on the front page of the
Missoulian today. By the way I do own one of the lower end rods before
it was outsourced to China, and it's an excellent rod - a good bit
superior tothe Sage/St. Croix stuff in the same price range.

Old December 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:04:26 -0500, Wayne Knight wrote:

"Jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You mention that you are a bamboo lover, so could you assist me?

I recently picked up a used split bamboo rod with the name "Montague".
It has two tips, with a reversible handle. Can be used as a 9ft
flyrod, or 6 ft casting rod. I would like to get a handle on when the
rod was made, and whether it is safe to use one of these older rods?
Do they get brittle with age? What is the advantage of the cane over
newer carbon fibre rods? You mention that there are other groups where
these are discussed, could you point me in their direction? Thanks OvO
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

From: RkyMtnHootOwl
Newsgroups: rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:00:49 -0700

You mention that you are a bamboo lover, so could you assist me?

I recently picked up a used split bamboo rod with the name "Montague".
It has two tips, with a reversible handle. Can be used as a 9ft
flyrod, or 6 ft casting rod. I would like to get a handle on when the
rod was made, and whether it is safe to use one of these older rods?
Do they get brittle with age? What is the advantage of the cane over
newer carbon fibre rods? You mention that there are other groups where
these are discussed, could you point me in their direction? Thanks OvO

i'm not wayne but allow me:

http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

if you're looking for practical personal in-use advantages of a cane rod
over graphite, from what i've gathered you're going to have to find a better
representation than the montague. they were/are considered very low end.
very low end.

by the way, it is NOT safe to use an older (good) bamboo rod, or newer one
for that matter. there is a good chance you'll come to appreciate fine
bamboo fly rods, all diposable income and savings will go to acquiring
various tapers, lengths, weights, etc. marriages have suffered, livelyhoods
have been compromised, typical fly snobbery will reach untold levels. but
you'll be happier.

eric
fresno, ca.

Old December 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wayne Knight wrote:
I just started reading Jerry Kustick's new book, he certainly loved the
conditions under which he did work.

He made a decent living doing something he very
much enjoyed doing, and he had a *lot* of time to
travel, fish, and (occasionally) write about.

Old December 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Buy a Tom Morgan rod.
http://troutrods.com

They (bamboo and graphite) are available
via phone call, via email or by personal visit.
The 5wt bamboo rod is the finest rod I've felt
in my hand. I don't really know that much about bamboo
rods, but I do have several older Winston
rods made in the San Fransisco shop, before the move
to Twin Bridges. And the current rods are unquestionably the best.

They are not cheap, by any standard.
But they will likely double in value within a year or two.
Sooner rather than later anyway.
Tom doesn't plan on making them much longer.

Old December 26th, 2005, 03:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"RkyMtnHootOwl" wrote in message
. ..

I recently picked up a used split bamboo rod with the name "Montague".
It has two tips, with a reversible handle. Can be used as a 9ft
flyrod, or 6 ft casting rod. I would like to get a handle on when the
rod was made, and whether it is safe to use one of these older rods?
Do they get brittle with age?

montague was a production rod maker in the early to mid 90's. The rods show
up frequently in peoples attics. Generally speaking they have little value
to collectors and some say fishing a 9' cane rod is no fun. If the rod is in
fishable shape, then by all means fish with it you would like. Most of the
Montagues I have seen have been in poor shape and needed work.

What is the advantage of the cane over
newer carbon fibre rods?

There are those who will tell you that nothing made of cane is as good as a
graphite rod so you will have to form your own opinion. I believe that cane
rods are more forgiving of casting mistakes and are a better fish fighting
tool because the fibers will flex all the way to the butt section, making it
more protective of the tippets. The average caster can generally cast
farther with a faster action graphite rod than a cane rod, and again a 9'
cane rod will wear some people out after a full day of casting. And most
folks don;t use cane in salt water or heavy freshwater applications.

http://vfish.net/
www.flyfisherman.net
www.rodbuildingforum.com

Old December 26th, 2005, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
oups.com...

Buy a Tom Morgan rod.

I did and took delivery in 2000. A very sweet 8' 3pc 4wt. Graphite, not
cane. As much as I'd like to own one of his boo's, I can't really justify
the cost.

Old December 26th, 2005, 03:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Knight" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com...

Buy a Tom Morgan rod.

I did and took delivery in 2000. A very sweet 8' 3pc 4wt. Graphite, not
cane. As much as I'd like to own one of his boo's, I can't really justify
the cost.

Thinking back, I never really could justify the cost of many things, but I
got a lot of them anyway. Canīt say I regret it. What price a moments
happiness, or or even just the illusion of such? If a "thing" can make you
happy, even for a short time, then it is priceless.

Having something really nice to fish with is a wonderful experience, the
money does not really matter, assuming one can afford to do it all.

TL
MC