Fly shops in Orlando, FL

Old June 12th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Fly shops in Orlando, FL

Hi everyone

As I will be in Orlando, FL in a few weeks I would like to know if there
are any fly fishing shops around that I simply have to visit while there.

Regards,

Jan, Denmark
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Jan Mikkelsen typed:

http://tinyurl.com/r9hgp

--
HTH,
Tim

Old June 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:08:29 +0200, Jan Mikkelsen
wrote:

Hi everyone

As I will be in Orlando, FL in a few weeks I would like to know if there
are any fly fishing shops around that I simply have to visit while there.

Regards,

Jan, Denmark

"Have to visit" is perhaps stretching things, but as Tim mentioned, The
Fly Fisherman is worth going by if you're in _Orlando_. One thing,
however. If you don't already have access to a vehicle and are staying
out in the Disney area, renting a car or hiring a taxi to go might not
be worth it as it is actually in Orlando (Disney really isn't). It's
been a couple of years since I've been, and while it was well-stocked
(especially for salt/brackish gear), it isn't what I'd call a
spectacular "must see" type of thing as far as renting/hiring a car,
fighting traffic, etc., if at Disney.

If you do go, there are some other shops in the immediate area, such as
a decent wine shop (called Tim's - not related to the Tim who also
responded), a couple of local hangout type informal eateries (good
grouper and dolphin/"mahi mahi" sandwiches), and a few "antique" stores
(using the US definition of "antique stores"). If you are not going to
the area for Disneyesque activity, and are going to be in Orlando
proper, I'd say it'd be worth going to the area for a couple of hours or
so. Check with Tim's (the aforementioned wine merchant) and see what
their wine-tasting schedule might be, if you enjoy such as that (usually
in the early evening, 5-7pm-ish), and plan accordingly. IIRC, The Fly
Fisherman closes at 5 or 6, so do Tim's afterward - probably best for
the wallet that way, too: "Of course I'm sotally tober...add a couple of
extra splitcanes, the entire Billy Pate line - three spools each, and a
couple of those Hermanns to the order, please..."

TC,
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote:

[...]

Hehe ..

I believe that my hotel is some 5-10 minutes north of Sea World. A trip
to "The Fly Fisherman" will therefore have to be by taxi rather than by
foot i imagine. But based on your information here Im sure that a
combo-trip will be worth it :-)

Thank you very much for the info.

/Jan
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Jan Mikkelsen" wrote in message
Hi everyone

As I will be in Orlando, FL in a few weeks I would like to know if there
are any fly fishing shops around that I simply have to visit while there.

Regards,

Jan, Denmark

Isn't there a decent fly shop in the Bass Pro right at the end of hotel row?
That would certainly be within walking distance.

--
Ric Hamel
A poor$, poor$ fishing freak living in the GWN

Old June 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:23:25 +0200, Jan Mikkelsen

wrote:

[...]

You might also look into public transportation/buses. The area (N.
Orange Ave.) is a major avenue, and is well-served. The system is
called "Lynx" and the site is www.golynx.com. Orlando has a pretty
decent public transport system, and considering your location, it might
come in handy. They have fairly reasonable weekly passes, IIRC. If you
take the bus, you might consider going up to Winter Park while in the
area. It is a nice area and depending on your interests, it might be
worth a full-day excursion to the area (The Fly Fisherman, Tim's, etc.
are on the way, and the "downtown" area of Winter Park isn't too far
away). I'd happily offer any further info, but it'd probably be easier
to Google Winter Park and see if anything strikes your fancy. If you
are into Tiffany and such (glass, etc., ala Louis Comfort, not Tiffany &
Co.), the Morse Museum is in Winter Park.

Thank you very much for the info.

You're welcome and hope you find it useful.

TC,
Old June 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Alaskan420 typed:
"Jan Mikkelsen" wrote in message
Hi everyone

As I will be in Orlando, FL in a few weeks I would like to know if
there are any fly fishing shops around that I simply have to visit
while there.

Regards,

Jan, Denmark

Isn't there a decent fly shop in the Bass Pro right at the end of
hotel row? That would certainly be within walking distance.

Bass Pro is fun to visit for a lot of reasons, but the "fly shop" within
isn't that great, and there certainly wasn't any expertise (read:
camaraderie) to go along with the display that I've seen on my visits. I
much prefer the small fly shops to the large stores with a corner devoted to
fly fishing, but YMMV. Still, if you're driving by it anyway, it's worth the
look.
--
TL,
Tim