Outboard Motor Recommendation

Old October 12th, 2003, 02:37 PM
George Bozovic

Default Outboard Motor Recommendation

Hi,

We have a small boat on the Croatian seaside (Adriatic Sea) and we
need a new small outboard motor for it. Since prices of outboard
motors are cheaper in the US, and that's where we live, we want to buy
one to bring to Croatia.

We are interested in a 4-stroke 6HP motor. Does anyone have any
recommendations for which brand, and comprable prices for a motor.
What is a good price to pay for a new motor?

A while ago, we knew Yamaha was good.

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
George Bozovic
Old October 19th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi George,

I am very familiar with all the 4 stroke motors and their specs. Most are
good and most are made in Japan or at least the power heads.

The Yamaha 4 stroke comes in a 6hp and 8hp that is virtually the same motor
and weight 83#. Unless you are limited to 6hp, most would be smart to go for
the 8hp at the same weight and a little more money. Also Yamaha outboards
are very popular in most 3rd world countries.

Tohatsu/Nissan makes a 4hp, 5hp and 6hp that are also the same basic motor
that weigh 57#. I believe this is the lightest 6hp 4 stroke. I think it is a
little cheaper than a Yamaha but I feel the Yamaha is a better motor.

Honda makes a 5hp that is 60# that should be a very good motor too.

Suzuki has a 4 and 6 hp that are the same motor and weigh 55#.

I think that Tohatsu/Nissan makes all the 4, 5 and 6hp Mercury 4 stroke
outboards and Yamaha makes most of the larger 4 stroke power heads with
Mercury lower units. You could buy a Mercury 6hp(Tohatsu/Nissan).

If parts and service are more available for one of these brands in Croatian,
it might influence what you buy.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

om...

Old October 19th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Spyda Man

I have always had great success with TOHATSU outboards having owned 4
over the years. They are the oldest Japanese outboard motor
manufacturers, and all their motors are designed for commercial fishing
duties. They are also some of the most reasonably priced motors
avaiable. They should have a motor to fit your needs in their line of 4
stroke outboards.

Spy in Hawaii

Old October 20th, 2003, 12:16 AM
James Ehlers

Yamaha is the way to go ... about $2500 US for a 9.9hp 4-stroke.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

Old October 29th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi Zeke,

I was in Palm Bay, FL for two weeks visiting the grandkids.

I did fish up north in Mosquito Lagoon with local fly fishing guide and
outdoor writer John Kumiski. We had some action and I did finally land a
nice Redfish. He said there are lots of redfish, sea trout and black drum up
that way.

I did get down to Sebastian were I met two wonderful guys my age that own
the Wabasso Bait & Tackle Shop right on the US #1. Steve and Terry Parsons
are serious fisherman that know the area better than most. Terry is a top
light tackle guide too. They sell hundreds of live shrimp every day. Meeting
and visiting with them was the highlight of my trip. I heard there are more
snook and tarpon around Sebastian because of the inlet to the Atlantic
Ocean. I did not get a chance to fish with Terry for snook and tarpon but
will on next visit.

Lots in Sebastian are about $20,000 right now and we might have to buy one
because properties are going up steadily on that part of the FL coast.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA