Michigan Upper P... mini TR

Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:22 AM
asadi

Default Michigan Upper P... mini TR

I had a great time in the great nort woods with Wolfgang. It was a pleasure
to meet George C. and Jackie.

I liked Becky the first time I met her but was much more impressed when Wolf
and I returned to Milwaukee.

All I can say is Jackie and Becky are both troopers.

wolf and I did a lot of fishing and a lot of sightseeing, he a great person
to travel with and tolerates my drunken ignorance very well - I'd do it
again in a heartbeat, probably will next year.

No real special reports or prose but I will tell Jeff Miller he 'does not'
want to fish the Sturgeon river any farther up. Jeff, you want to go down to
the falls. A really spectacular falls and gorge with some really nice fish.

I lost as big as I caught on the Madison and George hooked one we could only
estimate it's size as somewhere around twenty inches. A definite day hike
with a pack full of food. And maybe a bottle of brandy. Like I said,
Wolfgang tolerates me well.

I tried to make a photo album of some pics on my yahoo page, we'll see how
it works.
Here's the link.

john

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blarne...bum?.dir=/38e7

Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Wolfgang

"asadi" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

A bit of background on the photos:

1. This is at the oft mentioned ultra-secret smallmouth heaven on the
Wisconsin river near Merrill. It is quite possible that less than 10,000
people fish this spot in an average year. As is true of all the places we
fished on this trip, this one will often give up fish in amazing
numbers........and it didn't this time.

2. The frenetic pace evident in this photo was characteristic of the entire
trip. Up and out of bed before nine....most mornings.....it's a wonder that
either of us survived. We got a late start to the stream on this morning
because we were searching for my hat.

3. This is an unretouched photo. The brookies actually DO get that
big.......sometimes. And, say, what's that in his mouth?

4. This one isn't actually in the U.P. This was taken at Kohler/Andre
state park, just south of Sheboygan, Wi., where we stopped en route to fill
up the fresh water tank and dump gray and black water.

5. Near the mouth of the Presque Isle river at the western end of the
Porcupine Mountains. There are three wonderful waterfalls within a quarter
mile of the Lake Superior shore, and a fourth another few hundred yards
upstream. A series of trails runs between the various falls and elsewhere
through a large park and picnic area. Much of the trail is boardwalk and
stairs along the steep gorge leading to the river. This shot was taken from
a swaying wooden pedestrian suspension bridge leading to an island in the
middle of the river. If you look closely, you can see that all of the
exposed walls in the river here are a series of interconnected semicircles
worn into the rock by current born debris.

6. This could be anywhere on any of thousands of miles of gravel logging
roads that crisscross the entire U.P. Many of them are more or less
permanent (been there for decades), others come and go every year.

7. The big lake in one of its more placid moments. On a bad day, you
couldn't nail John down tight enough to keep him in place on that rock.

8. Friendliest people in the world. Why, they'll pull you over right on
the side of the road to stop and chat for a while!

Wolfgang