Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

Old June 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Tony[_3_]

Default Nothing stings like a hook in the hand.

I think we have all had that experience, and salt water or (fresh) dosent make it any better.

The scary thing is it's always with rusted hooks...lol

I wonder how many of you guys carry band aids when you go casual fishing?

www.myblog.com

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20070608110655W6g5FqZ2

Old June 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Charlie Bress[_2_]

"Tony" wrote in message
u...
I think we have all had that experience, and salt water or (fresh) dosent
make it any better.

The scary thing is it's always with rusted hooks...lol

I wonder how many of you guys carry band aids when you go casual fishing?

www.myblog.com

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20070608110655W6g5FqZ2

Band aids ae easy. The real problem is having cutters that are strong enough
to cut a hook whose barb had come all the way out the other side.

Charlie

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Cliff

Not to mention the fun of pushing a hook through the rest of the way...

OUCH! Dammit!

u...

--
Fishing with Cliff
The New Fishing Show in Town

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
LD[_3_]

I caught a trebble hook in my knee last week. It was very irritating
(mentally) but not too painful. I sank the barb in down to the middle of
the curve and decided to remove it with the needle nose pliers (like with
most of the fish). It came out just fine, put a band aid w/dab of
antibacterial ointment and was looking for the gaff but was informed that it
went overboard when I got the hook.
LD
u...

Old July 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Mike Gaskins[_2_]

On Jun 15, 9:48 pm, "Tony" wrote:
I think we have all had that experience, and salt water or (fresh) dosent make it any better.

The scary thing is it's always with rusted hooks...lol

I wonder how many of you guys carry band aids when you go casual fishing?

Don't carry bandaids (yet), but so far I've been lucky myself. Got
stuck by plenty of them, but never hard enough for the barb to go in.
A cousin of mine though, took a bad one. We were checking a trot
line. Pulled up and turned off the motor. He pulled up the line and
had it in his hand. Nothing was on it. Boat started drifting a bit
and for some reason he didn't drop the line. After it tightened up we
couldn't get the line cut nor the boat cranked to go against the tide
in time. 3/0 Hook went it at the base of his finger and ripped down
the side all the way to the tip. I didn't experience it, but man it
hurt just looking at it. He's got one hell of a scar there.

Mike

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
MoiMoi

Actually, there ARE things that can "sting" worse than a hook in the
hand...

When I was a kid, on a party fishing boat, we were out of cut bait and
the snapper/grouper were eating that better than the squid we had left.
So we were filetting some trigger fish we'd normally have thrown back
(NOT an easy clean if you've ever done it).

I somehow got my little finger in one's mouth (maybe 7-8 pounder) and
when he clamped down I instinctively slung my hand to get free. It
peeled off the tip of my finger to the bone. Got it stiched back on a
good many hours later and was able to keep it.

This was long before people went trigger fishing on purpose. They ARE
really tasty, but hard to clean. MUCH harder the way I did it that day
:-))

MM

Old July 25th, 2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.saltwater
Ed Chait

I got a hook in the hand story, except it wasn't my hand, it was my arm.

I was about 21 and went fishing with a couple of buddies to the Colorado
River. We had just arrived and I was rigging my bait. I didn't pull enough
line from the reel, so I grabbed what I had pulled out above my rod tip and
put some bend in the rod while I was tying the knots. Yep, that stored
energy will get you every time. The line slipped from my fingers and the
nice big treble hook that was supposed to go in the catfish's mouth embedded
itself on the inside of my upper left arm, the barb completely buried.

I told my buddies what I had just done and assumed that we would pack up and
they would take me directly to the emergency room to remove the hook. They
both gave me this very annoyed look and I surmised that their priorities
were to do some fishing first and get me to the ER second.

One of them had a pair of side cutters and he cut off the two other hooks on
the treble and then I guess they expected that I would just continue to fish
with them.

Not being one to spoil a good day of fishing, I didn't complain and just
decided to not say what I was thinking and let them fish. I didn't much
feel like doing any fishing with that big hook buried in my arm, so I just
sat on my fishin' bucket and took it easy for a few hours.

After a couple of hours they hadn't even gotten a nibble, so they decided at
that point that maybe we should go to the ER. The removal of the hook at
the ER was painless because they numbed me up with some lidocaine first and
then made a small incision so they could remove the barbed hook. I guess
they didn't want to push it all the way through and cut the barb off.

Anyway, that's the only time I've ever been hooked. Ever since then, I have
always been very careful with stored energy and fishing hooks. I saw a guy
once put his 16 oz sinker on the rail of a party boat and then bury a 6/0
hook in his hand when the boat pitched and the sinker fell from the rail.
Ruined his whole day.

After seeing that, I always rigged and baited up with my sinker laying on
the deck.

Watch out for that stored energy.

Ed Chait

Old June 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM
gracerallson gracerallson is offline
Junior Member

I somehow got my little feel in one's aperture (maybe 7-8 pounder) and when he clamped down I aimlessly slung my duke to get free. It peeled off the tip of my feel to the bone. Got it stiched aback on a good abounding hours after and was able to accumulate it.