upper lower peninsula Michigan

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Particle Salad

Default upper lower peninsula Michigan

So I'll be heading back home to the ol' D-town in August, and we happen to
be heading up for a family thing around Alpena... so.. of course, I'll put
the 4 piece in my luggage, but I need some advice please...

What are my best bets in that area? Keep in mind that I won't have room for
waders (gotta fit the hockey gear and get in a few games with my brothers),
gear will be pretty limited. What streams should be good that time of year?
Any web sites I should keep an eye on for updated conditions? Thanks...

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 02:24 AM
Wayne Knight

"Particle Salad" wrote in message
m...
So I'll be heading back home to the ol' D-town in August, and we happen to
be heading up for a family thing around Alpena... so.. of course, I'll put
the 4 piece in my luggage, but I need some advice please...

What are my best bets in that area? Keep in mind that I won't have room

for
waders (gotta fit the hockey gear and get in a few games with my

brothers),
gear will be pretty limited. What streams should be good that time of

year?
Any web sites I should keep an eye on for updated conditions? Thanks...

If it's around August 18th, let me know and I'll meet up there. I second the
thought on the Jordan, plus there's always the ausable and manistee. A few
years ago I had a blast on a small stream I think was called the Pidgeon
River in the NE corner of the state.

August in MI is wet wading and don't worry about flies, August is the time
to fish hoppers.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:29 AM
Particle Salad

If it's around August 18th, let me know and I'll meet up there. I second
the
thought on the Jordan, plus there's always the ausable and manistee. A few
years ago I had a blast on a small stream I think was called the Pidgeon
River in the NE corner of the state.

Oh man, I'd love to have the company, but I'll be up there 7/31-8/2 only...
then I'll be in the Detroit area for a week or so. I'll probably on get to
fish probably the morning of 8/2... maybe 8/1 evening, depending (family get
togethers, etc).

I found this:

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/jordan.html

Sounds like I'll just miss the hex hatch... shoot.

Pigeon river looks like a possibility too...

There's a fly shop in my mom's town, Northvhille, that was pretty good...
I'll stop by there, maybe there's also somewhere in the metro area worth
trying if I get some time.

August in MI is wet wading and don't worry about flies, August is the time
to fish hoppers.

Thanks, sounds great!

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Mark Barrett

The Jordan is a wonderful trout stream. The water quality, clarity, and
the surroundings remind me somewhat of backcountry trout streams in my
native eastern Sierras. Most all of my fishing has been at or in the 1st
couple of miles above Penney Bridge. Typically lots of Steelhead smolt,
a couple of Browns, and Brookies as you go upstream. Last time I was
there, I hooked a nice dark colored fish of around 15" (a Brown I'm
guessing) in the middle of the stream next to a log stump. Despite me
immediately trying to horse him or her up; it dove down and wrapped the
leader around a criss-cross of logs.
Don't overlook the upper Boardman. The upper main stem around and just
below Ranch Rudolph is good, but, the headwaters of the South Branch is
much like the Jordan, but, smaller. And, you'll probably have it all to
yourself.
And almost directly to the east just before you turn on to MI66 for the
Jordan; there's a county road that crosses the headwaters of the
Manistee. Again, this is small, clear, cold water full of Brooks and the
occasional Brown.

Mark