Whacky Rigging Salt Stick Worms

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Whacky Rigging Salt Stick Worms

I have had several fish get off on me throwing Senko clones in the last few
outings. I figured it was just me not getting a good hook set, but this
morning I had one come unbottoned that I can't figure out. I tossed it up
against a line of pencil tulies and I quickly noticed line starting to feed
out. I closed the bail and cranked in all my slack line before setting the
hook. I got a good hookset and managed to drag the bass out of the tulies
along with a couple of the fore mentioned tulies. I was dragging him along
with one of the weeds when he gave a good wiggle and came off.

I am currently using straight Mustad 2/0 weed guard hooks for this. When I
first started throwing stick worms whacky style I was using unguarded bait
holder hooks in #2 and #4 sizes. I definitely do not remember losing this
many fish on them. Any suggestions?

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 4th, 2004, 11:50 PM
go-bassn

Bob, those wire weedguard hooks suck. Learn to tie your own weedguards out
of monofilament line & your problems will be solved.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Bob La Londe

Waren, Can you suggest alink with a diagram. I found tons of fly fishing
site that mention tieing monofilament weedguards, but none actually sjow
how, and I am not sure that any of them are intended for use on a bare hook.
--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"go-bassn" wrote in message
Bob, those wire weedguard hooks suck. Learn to tie your own weedguards

out
of monofilament line & your problems will be solved.

Warren,

That sounds like a great article topic! That way, everyone would benefit.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Brad Coovert

Reaction Innovations makes a Weedless Wacky Hook with a mono weedguard. I've
heard good things about them. I have not tried any yet, but I have a couple of
packs to try.

They are made with a Kahle style hook and the mono looks to be fastened to the
hook shank with some type of wrapping. They even left a small loop so the hook
can be used as a drop shot hook and the tag end fed through the loop to keep
the hook positioned properly.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:58 AM
go-bassn

http://www.reactioninnovations.com/WWhook_Chart.htm

Don't tell anyone...

Warren ;-)

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
go-bassn

It's really not my idea Stevo, I read about it in some Western bass
magazine...

http://www.reactioninnovations.com/WWhook_Chart.htm

These things kick butt...

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old April 5th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Bob La Londe

LOL. I just ordered some a few minutes ago.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
alwayfishking

When I saw the topic, I knew Warren would be the first to respond as we
both watched fish come unbuttoned using weedguards last year at Dale Hollow.

I think it was Sean who suggested when wacky rigging to rig it like you
were gonna tex pose it, leave the hook inside, The senkos and senko knock
offs are soft enough to pull that hook through with a good hook set.

I rig my wacky rigs on a 1/0 octopus hook and fish some nasty stuff, now I
do occasionaly lose rigs this way but I also do not miss many fish when the
do hit, and when they are hooked they usually do not come off.

Old April 10th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Brad Coovert

Well I got my order today and the hooks look great but the tubes I ordered
don't match the color chart. A little disappointing.

What color tubes did you get? You can get all the Reaction Tubes at
TackleWarehouse.com with free shipping.