Harpers Ferry today...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Anthony

Default Harpers Ferry today...

Made out with a few smallmouth this morning. Nothing worth keeping. Wet
wading was awesome, water was nice and low, but that still didn't keep me
from stumbling around on the rocks. Took a couple spills due to not paying
attention while walking and casting. My bro in law went with and he managed
to step into an 8' hole once or twice so we both were soaked from head to
toe. Started out about 7am about a mile or so north of the rail bridge
spinning some lures around the damn area and worked our way down to about a
1/4 mile from the bridge. Decided it was time to get in the car and head
over to the W.VA side and see what the fly rod would produce for me around
the old bridge pylons. Nadda...(on the Shanendoah or the Patomac) Guess it
wasn't a complete bust, only success was on crayfish and segmented shad rap
(that I lost to a deep snag, D'oh!).

Wasn't sure what patterns to use on the Potomac since i've only had
experience with the small stream tactics. I tried a bead head bugger in
black and green then a Pautuxent special since it was weighted. The bass
were hunkered down deep so I didn't really have anything in my box that
would get down there, and no split shots either. I just practiced my casting
and watched my bro in law drag in a couple more smallies till about 1pm and
called it a day... I'm gonna invest in a sinking line and try looking for
some patterns that dive deep so next time i'll have a better chance of
success.

Any suggestions or experiences of what works well on the Potomac?

Thanks in advance.

Anthony