Line Type To Use ?

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Robert11[_2_]

Default Line Type To Use ?

Hi,

Getting back into the sport again, now that I'm retired.

Have on my spinning reels and baitcasting reels now some very thin, black,
waxy thread type of line.

With the waxy feel to it, it truly casts with both types of reels extremely
well.

Questions:

a. do folks use this type of line anymore ?

b. O.K. to use for Bass by directly tying it to lure, or should I
(absolutely) switch it to a monfilament plastic line ?
If so, any brand preferences ?

Any good hints for winding it on my spools; curl directions, etc. ? Pix on
web showing how anywhere ?

c. What about for Trout ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks, apreciate the help,
Bob

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
What me worry?

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 07:17:19 -0400, "Robert11"
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park then wrote:

Hi,

Getting back into the sport again, now that I'm retired.

Have on my spinning reels and baitcasting reels now some very thin, black,
waxy thread type of line.

With the waxy feel to it, it truly casts with both types of reels extremely
well.

Questions:

a. do folks use this type of line anymore ?

b. O.K. to use for Bass by directly tying it to lure, or should I
(absolutely) switch it to a monfilament plastic line ?
If so, any brand preferences ?

Any good hints for winding it on my spools; curl directions, etc. ? Pix on
web showing how anywhere ?

c. What about for Trout ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks, apreciate the help,
Bob

Hi Bob,

What brand/style/model reels are you using? How old is the line on
them.

Here is a good place to start reading too. Lots of info.
http://www.rofb.net/faq.htm
---

Dan TOASTY in Florida for now

Remove the X for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Robert11[_2_]

Default From OP: Line Type To Use ?

Hi,

Thaks for help.

Have a 10 year old Shimano spinning reel, and basitcasting reel.
Line on each is probably 5+ years old.

Bob

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Thaks for help.

Have a 10 year old Shimano spinning reel, and basitcasting reel.
Line on each is probably 5+ years old.

Bob

If you don't mind losing fish use it. If not replace it. Choose line based
on fishing conditions and lure size.

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Marty[_2_]

"Robert11" wrote in message

Any good hints for winding it on my spools; curl directions, etc. ? Pix
on web showing how anywhere ?

For spinning reels, lay the supply spool on the floor or other flat surface
such that the line comes off it counterclockwise. That's because the line
goes onto the reel clockwise, so having it come off the supply spool the
other way partially offsets the twist from going onto the reel. If anyone
tells you to lay the supply spool down with the label in such-and-such
position, ignore it.