Strange things can happen while fishing

Old January 6th, 2014, 03:10 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Garrison Hilliard

Default Strange things can happen while fishing

By George Rooks

Howdy Folks,

On Christmas Eve the services at the Bethel United Methodist Church
were at 6 and 11 p.m. we attended the 6 p.m. service and by 11 p.m.
there was some snoring at our house! There was a good attendance at
these services with communion and candlelight as we sang Silent Night.

Christmas morning we went to our daughter Debby’s and Bobby’s for
breakfast along with our granddaughters and their husbands and of
course the most special one, our great granddaughter Brooklyn.

Brooklyn was more interested in presents than in eating breakfast.
After breakfast we went to watch the girls and their families open
their gifts. Brooklyn was helping her Mom, Dad, Aunt Michelle and
Uncle Brad along with opening her own. On Christmas night our daughter
Pauline, Ralph and Curtis joined us there at Debby and Bobby’s again
for supper and opening our gifts to each other. Everyone got plenty of
gifts and attention.

Saturday evening our grandson Ralph and his wife Kayla and our great
grandson Ralphie came here to have Christmas with us, as they went to
her mother’s for Christmas. Our great-grandson really enjoyed playing
with Chester the kitten. Ralphie would run through the house and
Chester would hide and jump up at him.

While I was eating breakfast the other day I saw a pileated woodpecker
in a tree in our neighbor’s woods. They are so beautiful and big. You
can tell if it is the big one instead of a regular woodpecker by the
sound they make pecking.

We went to Walmart to get some items Monday and was talking to a young
feller that said he was fishing in East Fork Lake last Saturday and
had a new experience. He said he had a line out by a limb with a cork
on it and a fish came up and got the cork and took it down. He said he
lifted the line up jigging the minnow on the jig and the fish
swallowed the hook. He was surprised to find that a 12 inch crappie
had swallowed this jig and had bit and pulled down the cork. This is
unusual to happen but strange things happen to folks.

I was talking to Mike at the Boars Head Bait Shop in Afton this
morning ( New Year’s Eve). He said this is the last day this year he
was working and maybe he would come back to work next year! He said
there were several folks that went fishing last Saturday and caught
several crappie. But few were big ones, it will be interesting come
spring for crappie fishing.

We had a bed of late green onions out and the deer ate the tops off. I
wonder if the meat would taste like onion. That is the first time they
have done this.

I have been working in the shop making a tripod of bamboo for lima
beans this year. They will be three bamboo six feet long with a top to
hold them together. This will make a dandy item for lima beans to grow
on and easy to pick, instead of letting them grow and lay on the
ground.

I have been doing a lot of walking each day, the cardiologist said I
needed to do a lot of walking since I had completed rehab so I am
doing this.

The birds are really feeding at the feeders. It seems we need to fill
each one at least twice each week and the suet blocks sure get a lot
of attention. When I fill the feeders what is left in the bottom I
dump on the ground and the crows have been eating the small seeds I
have counted three crows so far.

This time of the year the food supply for the birds and squirrels is
in short supply so we keep feed out for all of them. We enjoy watching
the activity of each of them. Have you noticed the beauty of the
cardinals when the snow is on the bushes and ground and how bright the
red headed woodpeckers look, the beauty of all birds.

Start your week by going to the house of worship of your choice and
praise the Good Lord. God Bless All More Later.

George Rooks is a retired park ranger. Rooks served for 28 years with
the last five as manager of East Fork State Park

http://news.cincinnati.com/proart/?a...gerestricted=1