Trolling batteries, same make & model, different year

Old December 27th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Jamie Jackson

Default Trolling batteries, same make & model, different year

I just got an upgrade to my lousy stock 12v trolling motor. The new 65
lb MK Maxxum is 24v, so I've got to install a new battery, too.

Here's the question. The trolling battery I've been using still seems
to be in great shape, as my onboard charger keeps it in in good
condition. It's a couple years old, but it is a current model.

Instead of going out and buying a pair of new batteries, I'd like to
get a match to the one I have (Interstate SRM-27). It would be a real
waste give up the perfectly good battery I have now.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Jamie
Falls Church, VA
Old December 28th, 2004, 02:30 AM
RGarri7470

Instead of going out and buying a pair of new batteries, I'd like to
get a match to the one I have (Interstate SRM-27). It would be a real
waste give up the perfectly good battery I have now.

Use the old battery for something else and buy two - the pair are only as
good as the weakest one.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:10 AM
RGarri7470

Hmm, paperweight? Dumbell? ;-)

I usually have something that needs a new cranking battery - I have way too
many vehicles. I use them for that, or as a troll motor battery in my pond
boat.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old December 29th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Jeff Durham

You would be better off getting a new pair. And get something else besides
Interstate because those are junk batteries. I cannot say that I have had
bad luck with them, but everyone else I know has.

Jeff

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Jamie Jackson

Can you suggest good cheap ones? How about the ones at Wal-Mart?

Jamie

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:47:13 -0500, "Jeff Durham"
wrote:

You would be better off getting a new pair. And get something else besides
Interstate because those are junk batteries. I cannot say that I have had
bad luck with them, but everyone else I know has.

Jeff

.. .

Old December 29th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Jamie Jackson

On 28 Dec 2004 23:10:40 GMT, (RGarri7470) wrote:

Hmm, paperweight? Dumbell? ;-)

I usually have something that needs a new cranking battery - I have way too
many vehicles. I use them for that, or as a troll motor battery in my pond
boat.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Maybe I'll get a trolling motor for the canoe, to go with the battery.
;-)

Jamie
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:11 PM
theotherBob

I try to avoid, usually successfully, going into Wal-Mart as I am not a fan
of their overbearing attitude towards their suppliers and the way that they
will dictate to many of them what they (Wal-Mart) will pay for a product.
Time to step down off of my soapbox (sorry about that).

I would recommend that you check out whatever you have available in your
area in the way of farm supply companies, as these stores are usually very
competitively priced for the items that they stock. Here in the upper
Midwest we have Mill's Fleet Farm and Blain's Farm and Fleet (one of my
favorite toy stores :-). There is also the Tractor Supply Co. with stores
scattered across approx. 30 states. Cannot comment on the batteries from
Mill's or TSC, but the ones that are sold at Blain's under their house brand
are made by Johnson Controls and I have become a big fan of Johnson's
batteries over the years. You might also check out your local K-Mart store,
as my local store carries the Eveready brand which I think is also made by
Johnson.

I just checked Johnson Controls website @ http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/bg/
and linked from there to http://www.autobatteries.com/ , from this page
click on the "Leading Brands" link for a page that lists their various house
brands and where they are available at. I can find no info there about them
being the supplier for K-Mart, but they do make the Eveready and the
Energizer brands along with the Diehard and many others.

Hope this helps you out.

Bob
(BTW, guess who makes the Optima battery that many fishermen use in their
boats? If you said Johnson Controls then treat yourself to a new fishing
lure!)

news