Trolling Motor advice needed ASAP

Old February 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Charles B. Summers

Default Trolling Motor advice needed ASAP

This time next weekend, I'll be installing my new trolling motor on my
Nitro. Currently, it has the Motorguide 43lb 12v, and I'm going to finally
get a 24v. I haven't yet decided on which one will be the replacement, but
I'm looking very hard at the Minn Kota Maxxum 70lb, 24v. This one is about
$700.00 at BPS, and the one with the universal sonar is $80.00 more. (figure
in 9.75% for taxes and about $20.00 shipping)

Would you feel the universal sonar is worth the $80.00 difference?

What am I going to need to convert the 12v system to 24v? I already have the
battery installed, so how are the two connected at that end, as well as the
plug end? I'm thinking that all I need to do is install a small connector
between the positive terminal to battery A, to the negative terminal to
battery B, then connect the trolling wires to the other terminals. At the
female plug, I should just has a single 24v, and that's where I should
connect the wires inside the male connector. Sound right, or am I missing
something?

Now for the battery charger... I have a Pro Mariner two bank charger. How do
I connect it to a 24v system? As of now, I have one bank feeding one
trolling battery, and the other feeding the starting battery. I'll move the
ones feeding the starting battery over to my spare trolling battery whenever
it needs I think I need to charge it, but it's usually connected to the
starting battery. Would I need to purchase a three bank charger now, or buy
a single bank charger for the starting battery? I get really confused at
this point... LOL

I don't have a clue as what the breaker size is on the 12v motor... what
rating should I look for if I think I can use it on the 24v system?

The only other problem that I can think of now is the power connections to
my bow depth finder. I've got it hooked to the trolling system, so I guess
I'll have to re-route the wires to the 12v system under the console. Not a
big problem, but maybe you've got a secret that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Charles

Old February 26th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Chris S

Charles I would lookat the MK 74 if there not alot difference in price.As
for the US you will not get temp reading from the trolling fish finder.I
guess it depends on if you use that feature. I would also check out if you
can add a temp gauge to it as a friend called Garmin and with that Trolling
motor you can not add temp gauge to it unless you use a toatal seperate
transducer at least for Garmin
For connecting the batteries that,s excatly how mine are connected.
I got a 2 bank charger also and I've got them on the trolling batteries. I
have never needed to charge the starting battery but once in 4 years.
Other then adding a battery I did not have to charge anything else and I
would believe that you shouldnt either
--
Chris S

Replace com with net to email

. ..

Old February 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
go-bassn

You can power up your depth finder with any hot wire beneath the console, no
problem there. A 3-bank charger is what you need. Universal sonar is a
cool feature but most still use a transducer on the tm. Hopefully your
factory wires are beefy enough for the 24 system, they probably are. Good
luck Chaz!

WW

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:20 AM
irbfishin

I was in the same trolling motor situation a couple of weeks ago.
Probably at the same BPS location. I went with the MK maxxum pro 80
with universal sonar. The US does make a cleaner installation and you
don't have to worry about pinching the transducer wire or knocking the
puck out of alignment on a rock. remember though, that besides the $80
for the option, you will also need an adapter for the specific
transducer you have. That was another $20 for the MK/lowrance. All in
all, US is probably worth the extra $ but if I had to choose between US
and the "lift assist" feature it would be no match. My 6yr old
daughter could deploy this motor all day long.

btw, since this is my first post I should probably introduce myself. I
live near Springfield TN, and usually fish JPP and sometimes old
Hickory.

Shane

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Charles B. Summers

Hey Shane and welcome to rofb!

I had first seen the Pro models in Las Vegas last year and was highly
impressed! I was thinking about getting that too, but I think it'll be a
little much for my 17'er. What boat are you running your on, and have you
used it yet?

BTW: Have you heard about our "Classics" yet? We hold a couple of
get-together tournament every year, one in Tennessee the other in Wisconsin.
You can find the information on the Mid-Tenn Classic he
http://www.midtennclassic.org

oups.com...

Old February 27th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Charles B. Summers

I'm hoping the wires are too! But if I need to run new ones, I will. Guess I
could run a couple of smaller power wires for the finder too.

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles B. Summers" wrote in message
. ..
This time next weekend, I'll be installing my new trolling motor on my
Nitro. Currently, it has the Motorguide 43lb 12v, and I'm going to finally
get a 24v. I haven't yet decided on which one will be the replacement, but
I'm looking very hard at the Minn Kota Maxxum 70lb, 24v. This one is about
$700.00 at BPS, and the one with the universal sonar is $80.00 more.
(figure
in 9.75% for taxes and about $20.00 shipping)

Would you feel the universal sonar is worth the $80.00 difference?

***It all depends on how clean you want your front end to be and if you plan
on using the temperature function on your locator.

What am I going to need to convert the 12v system to 24v? I already have
the
battery installed, so how are the two connected at that end, as well as
the
plug end? I'm thinking that all I need to do is install a small connector
between the positive terminal to battery A, to the negative terminal to
battery B, then connect the trolling wires to the other terminals. At the
female plug, I should just has a single 24v, and that's where I should
connect the wires inside the male connector. Sound right, or am I missing
something?

***Sounds right.

Now for the battery charger... I have a Pro Mariner two bank charger. How
do
I connect it to a 24v system? As of now, I have one bank feeding one
trolling battery, and the other feeding the starting battery. I'll move
the
ones feeding the starting battery over to my spare trolling battery
whenever
it needs I think I need to charge it, but it's usually connected to the
starting battery. Would I need to purchase a three bank charger now, or
buy
a single bank charger for the starting battery? I get really confused at
this point... LOL

***If you don't have the $$$ for a three bank charger, just do what I did on
my ProCraft. I took everything off the starting battery and ran it from one
of the trolling motor batteries. This way, the starting battery was kept
charged (the little that starting drained it) and the trolling motor
batteries were topped off every night when I got done fishing. I knew that
it took a little off the trolling motor life, but with a 24 volt system,
that was never a problem. NOW, there had been times when the livewell
aerators did pull the starting battery down enough that I couldn't get the
outboard started......

I don't have a clue as what the breaker size is on the 12v motor... what
rating should I look for if I think I can use it on the 24v system?

***Check with the trolling motor installation instructions. They should
have a recommendation for breaker size. I have 50 amp breakers on my TM
circuit.

The only other problem that I can think of now is the power connections to
my bow depth finder. I've got it hooked to the trolling system, so I guess
I'll have to re-route the wires to the 12v system under the console. Not a
big problem, but maybe you've got a secret that I haven't thought of yet.

***Why don't you snake some HEAVY wires up front for the TM and leave the
ones that are there for the locator?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:27 AM
irbfishin

my boat is a tr20 but I don't think it would be too much for a 17ft
boat if you mount it solidly. the speed control is infinitely variable
and seems to ramp up so that it does'nt jerk the boat. I have only
used it about 8hrs so far but intend to rectify that asap.

I have seen the MTC site. Sounds like fun and will try to make it if I
can. I have'nt fished Center Hill before so don't know whether I
should bring my boat or not.

Old February 27th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Charles B. Summers

The MTC is alot of fun and everyone here that has ever been will attest to
that. Center Hill isn't an intimidating lake and it's very easy to navigate
since it's very deep in the main body. I've only been there a handful of
times myself.

The Maxxum Pro is about $200 more than the one I was looking at... so I may
stick with the other one. As nice as that power assist lift is, I think I'll
spend that money on a new depth finder, or maybe that stainless prop I've
been wanting.

How did you mount yours? Did you use the rubber mounting bolt things or
something else?

oups.com...

Old February 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Charles B. Summers

Thanks Steve... I was hoping that you'd pipe in. I know you change trolling
motors more than you do your socks, so your advice is always welcome. I've
already got an offer to buy my old motor and charger, so I guess I can go
with a three bank and leave everything the way it is wired now.

I'm going to check again in the morning to see what size wire is running
through there now, but I was just going to tie new wire to the old and pull
it through as I remove the old. I'm going to add a smaller ground wire and
connect to the battery jumper wire to use as the ground for the finder. I
think the wire there now is either 10 gauge or 8 gauge. If it's 10, then
it'll be replaced with 6. If it's 8, then I'll just leave it alone to see
how it works.

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...