wilson's creek flash

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:04 AM

Default wilson's creek flash

that is not going to be my screen name( i hope not anyway!)!

up in the gorge today, just walking along minding my own business and
wham!
the first copperhead i have seen in a long time! stretched out about 5
feet from where i was heading(key word-was). i dispatched it then made
sure it was dispatched; over and over and over. it was eight feet long
if it was an inch(just trying to fit in here- i don't post much-mostly
lurk). actually about 2 1/2'. it was over the hill just about where
the tree fell over in the road a week or so back.

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Wayne Harrison

wrote in message
oups.com...
that is not going to be my screen name( i hope not anyway!)!

up in the gorge today, just walking along minding my own business and
wham!
the first copperhead i have seen in a long time!

wilson is also the only stream in the old north state upon which i have
had a run-in with a poisonous snake. copperhead, as well. me and pamlico
jim were headed back to camp late in the afternoon, him in front of me, both
of us with heads down, marching at a quickstep, determined, and straight for
the whiskey reward, when i happened to glance up into the base of a tree
about two steps ahead of jim's intended path. about three feet of
copperhead was coiled in classic snakebite fashion, just waiting. i
screamed "snake"!!!!, and he stopped dead. he said, "where?" i said,
"right in front of you!!" he just turned toward the creek, picked up a
broken limb and a couple rocks, returned, and killed the snake. as he was
finishing the job, he muttered "mother****er", and kept on walking.

i hate the *******s.

wayno

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:47 AM
Ed Homich

The snake has as much right as you to be there. I'm not a bleeding heart,
animal rights type (obviously) but I wouldn't even think about killing it if
it wasn't a direct threat. I'm sure the copperhead was minding it's own
business too.

Just my 2 cents.

-Ed

oups.com...

Old April 26th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison wrote:
snip
he just turned toward the creek, picked up a
broken limb and a couple rocks, returned, and killed the snake. as he was
finishing the job, he muttered "mother****er", and kept on walking.

I can see killing a poisonous snake in your own backyard
if you have kids or puppies, but out along the trail ?
Nah, that's just wrongheaded.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Ed Homich" wrote in message
The snake has as much right as you to be there.

are you serious? we are not talking about "rights". we are talking
about animals that will, without a single heartfelt thought, bite your ass,
with resulting illness, life changing trauma, or even death.

I'm not a bleeding heart,
animal rights type (obviously) but I wouldn't even think about killing it
if it wasn't a direct threat. I'm sure the copperhead was minding it's own
business too.

if jim roberts had kept on walking, that damned snake would have hit
him, and i don't even want to think about the consequences. if the snake
was left to stake out the same territory the next weekend, maybe some kid
would have been walking the same trail.

**** a bunch of snakes.

or maybe you should just pat the next black widow spider you find under
your front porch on the back, and wish it well as your kids play in the
yard, all summer.

wayno

Old April 26th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Big Dale

I will kill any coiled poisonus snake only a couple of feet from me.
Still it is a damn good thing that Jim did not bite the snake.

Big Dale

Old April 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Wayne

Big Dale wrote:
Still it is a damn good thing that Jim did not bite the snake.

Big Dale

THAT, would have been cruelty to animals. I agree with Wayno; **** a
bunch of snakes.

Wayne
to fish is human......to release Divine!!