Battery Question. Trolling motor

Old June 8th, 2005, 03:39 PM
alwaysfishking

Default Battery Question. Trolling motor

Well seems that after 4 years it's time to replace the trolling motor
battery. It's been abused. Dunked in ten feet of water, left out all
winter( I thought it was in the shed). It's time here has expired. On full
charge I get about 3 good hours out of it. I use to be able to make two
morning trips without any loss of power, after 2 + hours this morning I was
trolling back very slowly. I use a 48 pound thrust Minn Kota for the 12 foot
Rubber Lipped Mudsucker. Any suggestions on getting a replacement? I am
using an everstart deep cycle trolling motor and I am tempted to get another
one but local Wally World doesn't carry them anymore. I'll keep this one as
a back up and fix the small 30 lb thrust motor I have and use it on the
front in conjunction with the 48 pound one mounted on the rear.

I also need to find a place that sells replacement parts for Minn Kota
trolling motors. I definetly want a replacement prop pin as snapping off the
last one really sucked. I would like to just be able to replace the pin
should it happen again. There are a few other things I would like to get as
well. Any Ideas?

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Bob La Londe

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
Well seems that after 4 years it's time to replace the trolling motor
battery. It's been abused. Dunked in ten feet of water, left out all
winter( I thought it was in the shed). It's time here has expired. On full
charge I get about 3 good hours out of it. I use to be able to make two
morning trips without any loss of power, after 2 + hours this morning I

was
trolling back very slowly. I use a 48 pound thrust Minn Kota for the 12

foot
Rubber Lipped Mudsucker TOO. Any suggestions on getting a replacement?

I have had very good luck with Trojan Group 27 batteries. Not the cheapest,
and not the most expensive. A lot of the guys around here are running the
next larger size (group 31?) and they claim to be able to run hard for two
full days in a row without a recharge.

I also need to find a place that sells replacement parts for Minn Kota
trolling motors. I definetly want a replacement prop pin as snapping off

the
last one really sucked. I would like to just be able to replace the pin
should it happen again. There are a few other things I would like to get

as
well. Any Ideas?

http://www.trollingmotordr.com/
Tell them Dave Willhide sent you. LOL. They are one of his sponsors. I
have called them for parts in the past and even when I gave them the wrong
info they were able to question me and get the information to get me the
right parts. They know their stuff really well.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news:1118244856.712207383f6b88445417fa6b7f23cc09@t eranews...
[...]

P.S. I always carry spare prop pins in my boat for my TMs. Good idea.

Old June 8th, 2005, 04:36 PM
AJH

Try Autozone for a battery and www.njtrollingmotors.com for parts

Old June 8th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Charles B. Summers

Everstart batteries are pretty good, and I've also had good luck with the
Delco's. I think Wally World still sells them...

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Jim Laumann

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:39:59 -0400, "alwaysfishking"
wrote:

[...]

Randy

Heres the URL for Minn Kota's service and support page:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppor...Kota&feature=1

They also have this number listed: 800-227-6433.

I've called them - been able to get parts or ask about parts over the
phone.

Regarding your battery - have you checked the water level? I had a car
battery I thought was bad - added water, and charged it - made a
world of differance. Just a thought....

Jim

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Huck Palmatier

...for you application I'd recommend the Delco as it's a sealed unit, less
prone to spillage....unless you can afford the Optima Blue Top or other leak
resistant glass mat.
Higer Amp Hour rating = more time on the water.
....offered up Huck

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Joshuall

No Question Randy. Best battery out there is the Optima. Expensive, but tons
of power and lasting time.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear