Trolling Motor

Old June 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Trolling Motor

Well, I posted awhile back that I was buying a boat for both fresh and
sal****er. I ended up going with a small cc because it had tons of
room to fish, didn't draft much and had a great price. Bad news is,
when pricing the install of a trolling motor, I was quoted $700 - $900
by 2 different people and on top of the cost of the motor, this would
be outrageous. I know bow mounted motors are best for a 17' boat, but
will a transom mount motor due? A transom motor means, I get one now
and can do more serious bass fishing. If it's worth waiting a year to
do it right, then I'll do that. Man, living in south florida is tough,
there are just too many places to fish.

Old June 17th, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

FishinJC wrote:
Well, I posted awhile back that I was buying a boat for both fresh and
sal****er. I ended up going with a small cc because it had tons of
room to fish, didn't draft much and had a great price. Bad news is,
when pricing the install of a trolling motor, I was quoted $700 - $900
by 2 different people and on top of the cost of the motor, this would
be outrageous. I know bow mounted motors are best for a 17' boat, but
will a transom mount motor due? A transom motor means, I get one now
and can do more serious bass fishing. If it's worth waiting a year to
do it right, then I'll do that. Man, living in south florida is tough,
there are just too many places to fish.

JC,

Why are they quoting such a high price for the bow mount? Is it the
wiring? Is there a bow rail that has to be cut and reworked?

If you want to control your boat in a fairly tight area, the transom
mounted motor won't do the job. If you are fishing the flats, you can
probably get away with it and they are fairly inexpensive.

Dan
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"FishinJC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, I posted awhile back that I was buying a boat for both fresh and
sal****er. I ended up going with a small cc because it had tons of
room to fish, didn't draft much and had a great price. Bad news is,
when pricing the install of a trolling motor, I was quoted $700 - $900
by 2 different people and on top of the cost of the motor, this would
be outrageous. I know bow mounted motors are best for a 17' boat, but
will a transom mount motor due? A transom motor means, I get one now
and can do more serious bass fishing. If it's worth waiting a year to
do it right, then I'll do that. Man, living in south florida is tough,
there are just too many places to fish.

What in the heck kind of boat did you get that it's going to cost dang near
a grand to install the TM?????

The only thing that I can think of that would cause this type of bill would
be if there was fabrication work required for the installation.

Heck, for that kind of money, you can drive up here to Rhinelander, I'll
help you put the motor on and then we'll go fishing!

Unless your "people" charge $350 per hour, you're getting ripped.

A transom mount motor might work for you, but if there's any kind of wave
action, you're going to get wet from water slopping over the transom.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 18th, 2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"FishinJC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Splash guards!!! Like on a walleye boat. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 18th, 2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Yeah, it looks like they need to build up the rail to make it wide
enough for mounting plate. The guy who I spoke with charges $85/hr and
said it would probably take 7-9 hours, but of course everything is
different and we'd have to wait and see how long it actually took.

It seemed long to me, but not knowing how to do it myself that was an
uneducated assumption. Does 7-9 hours seem like a reasonable amount of
time to fabricate something to mount the mounting hardware on and then
do a normal trolling motor install?

Old June 19th, 2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

FishinJC wrote:
Yeah, it looks like they need to build up the rail to make it wide
enough for mounting plate. The guy who I spoke with charges $85/hr and
said it would probably take 7-9 hours, but of course everything is
different and we'd have to wait and see how long it actually took.

It seemed long to me, but not knowing how to do it myself that was an
uneducated assumption. Does 7-9 hours seem like a reasonable amount of
time to fabricate something to mount the mounting hardware on and then
do a normal trolling motor install?

TAKE a photo of the front of your boat, and post it over at

alt.binaries.pictures.fishing

I think in 9 hours I could put a bow mount on a cane pole :-)

Unless you show us what your having to work with, no way of knowing what
it will take.

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,