TR: Africa to Wales

Old June 20th, 2004, 12:33 PM
riverman

Default TR: Africa to Wales

Short version: Made it out of Kinshasa in one piece, don't have a clue
what's happened there since.

Got to Wales in one piece, rented a car, found a campsite in Brecon, got in
touch with the Honorable WD Grey, who is both a scholar and a gentleman (and
there are damn few of us left!), we spend a fine day fishing up in
Llangamarch Wells (which is not pronounced at all like it looks, and as a
matter of fact, nothing in Wales is), spent another fine day fishing a sewer
in southern Wales, a third fine day fishing the Usk in Brecon, a fourth fine
day hanging out a a bonafide Welch Country Fair, and now I'm in Plymouth
England (of Mayflower fame) for another summer of grad school.

I'll post a longer fishing TR later tonight, with details, circles and
arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one, but first wanted to say
hello to y'all.

Hello, y'all. :-)

--riverman

Old June 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:33:00 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

Hello, y'all. :-)

Glad you made it out OK Myron.
--
Charlie...
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:33:00 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

Hello, y'all. :-)

Glad you made it out OK Myron.

Yeah, me too!! :-D Can't wait for the Juan.

--riverman

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:11 PM
riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:33:00 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

Hello, y'all. :-)

Glad you made it out OK Myron.
--
Charlie...

By the way, check out
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...7_congo20.html

At 4am, when the 50cal went off in a rather unorthodox method (strange that
I now know how a 50cal should sound, eh?), I said to Lauren "That sounds
more like a wake up call than a firefight!" Later, the talk in the streets
was that last weeks 'coup' was all staged. I also noticed that there was no
scream of the outgoing rocket or an explosion, from the tank firing in my
front yard. I suspect the entire thing was for show last week.

But, as slenon says, never assume any gunfire (or tank fire, or 50cal fire)
is harmless.

--riverman

Old June 20th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:11:54 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

By the way, check out
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...7_congo20.html

At 4am, when the 50cal went off in a rather unorthodox method (strange that
I now know how a 50cal should sound, eh?), I said to Lauren "That sounds
more like a wake up call than a firefight!" Later, the talk in the streets
was that last weeks 'coup' was all staged. I also noticed that there was no
scream of the outgoing rocket or an explosion, from the tank firing in my
front yard. I suspect the entire thing was for show last week.

Yeah, I read that story too. Sounds like you may have even more fun as
the elections approach next year.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the SJ. I leave next Saturday for
a couple of weeks in Yellowstone before the Madison Clave and am
starting to get the trailer loaded up and ready to go.
--
Charlie...
Old June 20th, 2004, 02:57 PM
riverman

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
I'm looking forward to seeing you on the SJ. I leave next Saturday for
a couple of weeks in Yellowstone before the Madison Clave and am
starting to get the trailer loaded up and ready to go.
--
Charlie...

Yeah, I know the feeling! Will you have internet access while on the road?
Either way, send me detailed instructions in where and when to meet up with
you guys before the time arrives, as I have a lot of travelling to do
between now and then.

-myron

Old June 20th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:57:40 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

Will you have internet access while on the road?
Either way, send me detailed instructions in where and when to meet up with
you guys before the time arrives, as I have a lot of travelling to do
between now and then.

I'm not sure how much Internet access I'll have. Do you still have the
email I sent you about the SP reservation? That's the campsite we'll
have from Friday night through Sunday night and that will probably be
the best place to meet up. I should be there by early evening Friday
the 23rd.
--
Charlie...
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:56 PM
riverman

wrote:

Will you have internet access while on the road?
Either way, send me detailed instructions in where and when to meet up

with
you guys before the time arrives, as I have a lot of travelling to do
between now and then.

I'm not sure how much Internet access I'll have. Do you still have the
email I sent you about the SP reservation? That's the campsite we'll
have from Friday night through Sunday night and that will probably be
the best place to meet up. I should be there by early evening Friday
the 23rd.

I think I deleted it in a frenzy of efficiency. I'll look for it, but just
in case, send it again. I'll be there friday midafternoon, with a tent,
sleeping bag, fly gear and hope in my heart. :-)

--riverman

Old June 20th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Charlie Choc

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 16:56:36 +0200, "riverman"
wrote:

I'll be there friday midafternoon, with a tent,
sleeping bag, fly gear and hope in my heart. :-)

We'll get some pictures of you with big fish. I'll probably be bored
catching after having been in Montana for 4 weeks anyway. g
--
Charlie...
Old June 20th, 2004, 06:54 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , riverman
writes
[...]

Hi Myron,

We should chalk this meeting as the first ROFF Welsh 'Clave eh?

I look forward to your further TR. Your Merthyr experience sounded a
bit like I anticipated. I have never fished there but I'm aware of the
pollution that occurs in that area. I'm glad you got to the Game fair -
wgat do you think of the casting display. Hywel Morgan is poetry in
motion. His father Moc Morgan is in Scotland - I didn't know that!

By the way you pronunciation of the Welsh place names gave me no problem
in knowing where you talking about. Remember - the emphasis on the
last-but-one syllable :-)

The photos are at:
http://www.graigroad.demon.co.uk/riverman.htm

All the best keep well and safe.