Jack Frost Fly Rod?????

Old November 14th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Scott

Default Jack Frost Fly Rod?????

My Grandmother gave me a flyrod last weekend that she said belonged to my
Great Grandfather.

There was a note attached to it, written by my G-Grandfather that said that
the rod was purchased for him by his wife as a present in 1925. She paid
$55 for it. it seems to me you could by a car for about $75 in 1925 It
is a 3 piece rod with a cork handle and it is in nearly perfect condition.

I haven't been able to find any information on Jack Frost rods other than
that there was a company in lower England that was incepted in the late
1800's that made fishing rods.

I am curious to where I can find out if the pole is worth anything and what
the history of the pole is.

Any info. would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

Old November 15th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Clark Reid

You sure it isn't a "Joe Frost"?

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Old November 19th, 2003, 03:39 PM
riverman

"Scott" wrote in message
My Grandmother gave me a flyrod last weekend that she said belonged to my
Great Grandfather.

There was a note attached to it, written by my G-Grandfather that said

that
the rod was purchased for him by his wife as a present in 1925. She paid
$55 for it. it seems to me you could by a car for about $75 in 1925 It
is a 3 piece rod with a cork handle and it is in nearly perfect condition.

I haven't been able to find any information on Jack Frost rods other than
that there was a company in lower England that was incepted in the late
1800's that made fishing rods.

I am curious to where I can find out if the pole is worth anything and

what
the history of the pole is.

Any info. would be much appreciated!

Any chance that this is a 9ft, 3 inch 9wt rod, 2 piece hex? And that your
GGrandfather was a Kiwi?

--riverman

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:02 PM
riverman

"riverman" wrote in message

I haven't been able to find any information on Jack Frost rods other

than
that there was a company in lower England that was incepted in the late
1800's that made fishing rods.

I am curious to where I can find out if the pole is worth anything and

what
the history of the pole is.

Any info. would be much appreciated!

Any chance that this is a 9ft, 3 inch 9wt rod, 2 piece hex? And that your
GGrandfather was a Kiwi?

D'oH. You said it was a 3-piece.

FWIW, if it's a "Joe Frost" rather than Jack Frost, then it could have been
made by the Walker Bampton Co. in Alnwick, Northumberland, England. WB was
formed by ex-Hardy employees, who made rods from the early 30s until 1986,
when they were bought out by Farlows of Pall Mall St, London. They were
quite high-quality for their day, and were targeted for the New Zealand
market. If yours was bought in 1925, it might not be one of these, or it
might be a prototype before the company got started. Or it might have beed
designed by Joe Frost himself; Joe Frost was a Kiwi fly fisherman (arrived
in Turangi, NZ in 1915) who designed the "Tonga" flyrods for Tisdalls in
1938. Look over the rod more closely and see if there are any more clues. It
might be worth something as an antique.

--riverman

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Sandy

riverman wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Could this be them?

http://www.jfonline.co.uk/why.html

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:14 PM
riverman

"Sandy" wrote in message
riverman wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

I saw that, too, but Jack Frost bought the company and gave his name to it
in 1985. He'd have been hard pressed to have been making rods in the
1920s...

--riverman

Old November 19th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Sandy

riverman wrote:
"Sandy" wrote in message
riverman wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

Could this be them?

http://www.jfonline.co.uk/why.html

--

I saw that, too, but Jack Frost bought the company and gave his name
to it in 1985. He'd have been hard pressed to have been making rods
in the 1920s...

--riverman

I didn't read that till after I sent the post

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy