OT Cockles & Sense

Old September 20th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Default OT Cockles & Sense

This story will warm the cockles of your heart and make you
wonder about having sense enough to come in out of the rain.

http://msnbc.com/news/969061.asp?0sl=-41

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Frank Reid

This story will warm the cockles of your heart and make you
wonder about having sense enough to come in out of the rain.

http://msnbc.com/news/969061.asp?0sl=-41

Two words for you, duty and honor. I heard it on the radio yesterday. Have
you never carried your 7-iron placard in the rough conditions? Would you
shy away from a counter-protest? From what I've read, you hold strong
beliefs. You're not a fair-weather pacifist. Why would you belittle the
same sense of duty you hold in your beliefs when that sense is exhibited by
those on "the other side?" Is it just to make them less strong in your eyes
so you can feel more superior? Come on Forty, with all your bull**** and
bluster, I personally believe you're a better man than that.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Dave LaCourse

Frank Reid writes:

Two words for you, duty and honor. I heard it on the radio yesterday. Have
you never carried your 7-iron placard in the rough conditions? Would you
shy away from a counter-protest? From what I've read, you hold strong
beliefs. You're not a fair-weather pacifist. Why would you belittle the
same sense of duty you hold in your beliefs when that sense is exhibited by
those on "the other side?" Is it just to make them less strong in your eyes
so you can feel more superior? Come on Forty, with all your bull**** and
bluster, I personally believe you're a better man than that.
--

Thank you, Frank. You beat me to it, but said it way better than I could have.
I would only add that a man without honor can not understand honor.

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid wrote:

Two words for you, duty and honor.

And here's two for you, common sense.

... You're not a fair-weather pacifist. Why would you belittle the
same sense of duty you hold in your beliefs when that sense is exhibited by
those on "the other side?" ...

I'm not a pacifist at all and I'm not belittling anyone's sense of duty.
I do wonder why it's so all fired important to pace back and forth in
front of a tomb during a hurricane. Apparently Cemetery Superintendent
John Metzler could use one of your "other side" mini-lectures too.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:46 PM
slenon

This story will warm the cockles of your heart and make you
wonder about having sense enough to come in out of the rain.--
Ken Fortenberry

Yet I imagine you'd have no problem sitting through a football game in foul
weather. Too bad that your education didn't include the concepts of duty
and honor. There's nothing else to say to someone who would make such a
statement.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse wrote:
I would only add that a man without honor can not understand honor.

The whole point is to guard the tomb, correct ? So please tell me why
monitoring the tomb via security cameras is any less "honorable" than
pacing back and forth with an unloaded gun in a ****in' hurricane ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:03 PM
slenon

So please tell me why monitoring the tomb via security cameras is any less
"honorable" than
pacing back and forth with an unloaded gun in a ****in' hurricane ?
Ken Fortenberry

If you have to ask, Ken, the answer will always be beyond your
comprehension. And what makes you think the rifles aren't loaded?

----

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:23 PM
JR

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Frank Reid wrote:

... You're not a fair-weather pacifist. Why would you belittle the
same sense of duty you hold in your beliefs when that sense is exhibited by
those on "the other side?" ...

....... Apparently Cemetery Superintendent
John Metzler could use one of your "other side" mini-lectures too.

I'd guess Superintendent Metzler had a pretty fair idea how Sgt Holmes
and his colleagues would react to the permission. Seems to me everyone
at Arlington behaved irreproachably.

JR
Old September 20th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Dave LaCourse

Ken Fortenberry writes:

The whole point is to guard the tomb, correct ? So please tell me why
monitoring the tomb via security cameras is any less "honorable" than
pacing back and forth with an unloaded gun in a ****in' hurricane ?

You would never understand it, Ken, so there is no reason for me to even *try*
to explain it. Like I said, a man without honor can not be expected to
understand honor.

And, the weapons are loaded.

Sometimes, Ken, you strain my friendship like it has never been strained
before. And, sometimes it is better just to keep your mouth shut rather than
to ridicule and make fun of things that others consider honorable. It is like
Gehrke making fun of your child. No difference, none, whatsoever.

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Frank Reid

Two words for you, duty and honor.

And here's two for you, common sense.

... You're not a fair-weather pacifist. Why would you belittle the
same sense of duty you hold in your beliefs when that sense is exhibited

by
those on "the other side?" ...

I'm not a pacifist at all and I'm not belittling anyone's sense of duty.
I do wonder why it's so all fired important to pace back and forth in
front of a tomb during a hurricane. Apparently Cemetery Superintendent
John Metzler could use one of your "other side" mini-lectures too.

Well Ken, let me go back to MLK. He, and others of his stature, knew that
nothing beats the physical presence of a man or woman standing in the front
line to show solidarity with his or her beliefs. Why would that man or
woman intentionally walk in front of an outraged crowd, with attack dogs and
bricks let loose, with kicks and baton blows reigning on them. Knowing that
this would happen, what sane mane or woman would do that? Others, very high
up in their organization, cautioned against it. Those folks still did it.
They marched on Selma, they went to schools that did not want them. They
were beaten, arrested, and attacked at home and on the street. They
persevered, because they believed what they were doing was right. You,
yourself, have protested, knowing that you were going into harms way.
Common sense should have told you not to go there. You did anyway, because
you believed what you were doing was more important than the perceived
danger.

These men and women at the Tomb are of the same ilk. They believe that what
they are doing is important, is worth getting wet and going through a bit of
discomfort. They, with their physical presence, are a constant reminder
that no one from the outside will gain control over the American will, not
with tyranny, not with shackles.

Okay, you're not a pacifist. I inferred wrong. Granted. And you and I
both know that I don't subscribe to your political ideas. I do hope you are
strong enough to support what you believe in with the same integrity, duty,
and honor that the members of the guard at the Tomb do. They are a protest
sign to the world, mounted on something a bit more powerful than a 7 iron.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply