OT Happy Holidays

Old December 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default OT Happy Holidays

Nat King Cole sings a great version of The Christmas Song
(Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) but that song is owned
by Mel Torme. For a long time I thought Bing Crosby owned
the Irving Berlin classic White Christmas, but I was wrong.
White Christmas is *owned* by The Drifters.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenosesdotcom

And the cartoon's funny too. ;-)

Happy Holidays roff !!

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 15, 10:39*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Nat King Cole sings a great version of The Christmas Song
(Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) but that song is owned
by Mel Torme. For a long time I thought Bing Crosby owned
the Irving Berlin classic White Christmas, but I was wrong.
White Christmas is *owned* by The Drifters.

Well, there's legal ownership and there's artistic ownership. For my
money, NKC "owns" the Christmas Song and Bing "owns" White Christmas.
(FWIW, I'd sell my soul to the devil for a voice like Crosby's.)

These two renditions, among a few others, are so definitive that
anyone else who sings them will inevitably look wanting by
comparison. It's probably a generational bias to prefer the version
we hear growing up.

But to echo your sentiment, Happy Chrismahannukwaanzaka to all!

Joe F.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

rb608 wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Nat King Cole sings a great version of The Christmas Song
(Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) but that song is owned
by Mel Torme. For a long time I thought Bing Crosby owned
the Irving Berlin classic White Christmas, but I was wrong.
White Christmas is *owned* by The Drifters.

Well, there's legal ownership and there's artistic ownership. For my
money, NKC "owns" the Christmas Song and Bing "owns" White Christmas.
(FWIW, I'd sell my soul to the devil for a voice like Crosby's.)

These two renditions, among a few others, are so definitive that
anyone else who sings them will inevitably look wanting by
comparison. It's probably a generational bias to prefer the version
we hear growing up.

I never thought I'd see a sentence referring to Mel Torme
which contained the words "sings" and "wanting". So long
as your soul is for sale you might want to ask the devil
for a new pair of ears to go along with your new voice.
I mean preferring the traditional rendition is one thing
but "wanting" ?!? MEL TORME ??!!??

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Dec 15, 11:55*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
I never thought I'd see a sentence referring to Mel Torme
which contained the words "sings" and "wanting". So long
as your soul is for sale you might want to ask the devil
for a new pair of ears to go along with your new voice.
I mean preferring the traditional rendition is one thing
but "wanting" ?!? MEL TORME ??!!??

No disrespect intended for the "Velvet Fog". It's just that NKC's
version is so ubiquitous as to set the standard. It is something
about folks "our age" that we prefer crooners from our parents'
generation? Crosby, Torme, Bennett, Sinatra, and their cohorts were
the great ones; and today's youngsters seem like pop imitations.
Buble, Grobin, et al just make me gag. /old fart rant

Joe F.
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
I never thought I'd see a sentence referring to Mel Torme
which contained the words "sings" and "wanting". So long
as your soul is for sale you might want to ask the devil
for a new pair of ears to go along with your new voice.
I mean preferring the traditional rendition is one thing
but "wanting" ?!? MEL TORME ??!!??

No disrespect intended for the "Velvet Fog". *It's just that NKC's
version is so ubiquitous as to set the standard. *It is something
about folks "our age" that we prefer crooners from our parents'
generation? *Crosby, Torme, Bennett, Sinatra, and their cohorts were
the great ones; and today's youngsters seem like pop imitations.
Buble, Grobin, et al just make me gag. */old fart rant

Joe F.

i am telling you that 40 is spot on with his drifter's choice.
the really cool cats at high point, nc, high school, circa 1959, used
to boogie (i think the dance is now called "shag") to that tune every
late fifties christmas party season. when clyde mcphatter rolled in
with that octave high verse, the chicks would weaken, perceptively, at
the knees.

yfitons
wayno(and there is nothing more impressive than a perceptive knee
weakening)
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie S.

wrote:
I never thought I'd see a sentence referring to Mel Torme
which contained the words "sings" and "wanting". So long
as your soul is for sale you might want to ask the devil
for a new pair of ears to go along with your new voice.
I mean preferring the traditional rendition is one thing
but "wanting" ?!? MEL TORME ??!!??

No disrespect intended for the "Velvet Fog". It's just that NKC's
version is so ubiquitous as to set the standard. It is something
about folks "our age" that we prefer crooners from our parents'
generation? Crosby, Torme, Bennett, Sinatra, and their cohorts were
the great ones; and today's youngsters seem like pop imitations.
Buble, Grobin, et al just make me gag. /old fart rant

Joe F.

Agree wholeheartedly! The other day I heard "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
(poorly) done by Jessica Simpson and Nick what's-his-name. Some of
the worst CRAP I've EVER heard!

Old December 16th, 2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:02:43 -0600, Charlie S. w5cds (at) arrl (dot)
net wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly! The other day I heard "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
(poorly) done by Jessica Simpson and Nick what's-his-name. Some of
the worst CRAP I've EVER heard!

Best rendition ever:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Rbkcxiibw

Old December 17th, 2008, 06:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 16-Dec-2008, Dave LaCourse wrote:

ree wholeheartedly! The other day I heard "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
(poorly) done by Jessica Simpson and Nick what's-his-name. Some of
the worst CRAP I've EVER heard!

Best rendition ever:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Rbkcxiibw

===================

Great song great rendition
Thanks

Aprpops of I do not know what?
try this one

Fred

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Dec 17, 2:40*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On 16-Dec-2008, Dave LaCourse wrote:

ree wholeheartedly! *The other day I heard "Baby, It's Cold Outside"
(poorly) done by Jessica Simpson and Nick what's-his-name. *Some of
the worst CRAP I've EVER heard!

Best rendition ever:

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Rbkcxiibw

===================

Great song great rendition
Thanks

Aprpops of I do not know what?
try this one

Fred

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=70_fUU58-ls

--riverman
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Ken Fortenberry
writes
Nat King Cole sings a great version of The Christmas Song
(Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) but that song is owned
by Mel Torme. For a long time I thought Bing Crosby owned
the Irving Berlin classic White Christmas, but I was wrong.
White Christmas is *owned* by The Drifters.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenosesdotcom

And the cartoon's funny too. ;-)

Happy Holidays roff !!

Yeah! Great cartoon.