Not been for years

Old September 30th, 2005, 11:07 AM
MrBlueSkye

Default Not been for years

Not been fishing for years, so as there's a river just down the road (I know
for shame, for shame) I thought must get a rod license........bleddy hell
the robbing swine want £23.75!! Think about it..........£23.75 a season to
fish the Mersey.

I can't believe it.

MBS

Old September 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM
UFO

"MrBlueSkye" wrote in message
Not been fishing for years, so as there's a river just down the road (I
know
for shame, for shame) I thought must get a rod license........bleddy hell
the robbing swine want £23.75!! Think about it..........£23.75 a season
fish the Mersey.

I can't believe it.

MBS

I rod licence is not a permit to fish

Old September 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
simon

Consider cost Vs everyday items like, pkt of fags, Fuel, Pint of beer, Game
of pool....

Fishing permit costs less than half a dozen packets of fags.
Less than half what it costs to fill up the car...

SS

Old September 30th, 2005, 08:14 PM
MrBlueSkye

"simon" wrote in message
Consider cost Vs everyday items like, pkt of fags, Fuel, Pint of beer,
Game of pool....

Fishing permit costs less than half a dozen packets of fags.
Less than half what it costs to fill up the car...

SS

It's a damn cheek charging so much! The rivers are ours, we are Englich
citizens and they are English rivers so why in the name of god should we pay
nearly £25 quid to fish them.

Old October 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
UFO

"simon" wrote in message
Consider cost Vs everyday items like, pkt of fags, Fuel, Pint of beer,
Game of pool....

Fishing permit costs less than half a dozen packets of fags.
Less than half what it costs to fill up the car...

SS

It's a damn cheek charging so much! The rivers are ours, we are Englich
citizens and they are English rivers so why in the name of god should we
pay nearly £25 quid to fish them.

You pay for the upkeep, like road tax
but I agree with you

Old October 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM
Ergo

"simon" wrote in message
Consider cost Vs everyday items like, pkt of fags, Fuel, Pint of beer,
Game of pool....

Fishing permit costs less than half a dozen packets of fags.
Less than half what it costs to fill up the car...

SS

It's a damn cheek charging so much! The rivers are ours, we are Englich
citizens and they are English rivers so why in the name of god should we
pay nearly £25 quid to fish them.

You pay for the upkeep, like road tax
but I agree with you

Cheap at half the price!!
Mind you, to fish the Mersey, the money goes on different things. Removal of
nicked cars, car tyres, shopping trolleys and so forth.

--
Don't go chasing crocks of gold,
or you will miss seeing the rainbows

www.eric-gales.co.uk
Updated 29/03/05

Old October 1st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Phil L

MrBlueSkye wrote:

:: It's a damn cheek charging so much! The rivers are ours, we are Englich
:: citizens and they are English rivers so why in the name of god should we
:: pay nearly £25 quid to fish them.

Yes the rivers are ours, but the way they were after many decades of neglect
left them polluted, stinking open sewers! - the fact that you are thinking
of fishing the Mersey at all is testament to the work put in by the
Environment Agency, parially paid for by funding from fishing licences, the
7p per day you contribute goes towards improving water quality, breeding and
releasing millions of freshwater fish, prosecuting buisnesses that pollute
waterways and giving grants to people to enable them to clean up riverbanks
etc, this is where the £25 goes - the rivers have never been cleaner or
contained more fish at any time in the past 150 years, plus, you don't only
get to fish the Mersey, try the lake district for trout, or any one of the
thousands of canals and commercial fisheries for coarse fish.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old October 1st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Alec Powell

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005, Phil L, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Yes the rivers are ours, but the way they were after many decades of
neglect left them polluted, stinking open sewers! - the fact that you
are thinking of fishing the Mersey at all is testament to the work put
in by the Environment Agency, parially paid for by funding from fishing
licences, the 7p per day you contribute goes towards improving water
quality, breeding and releasing millions of freshwater fish,
prosecuting buisnesses that pollute waterways and giving grants to
people to enable them to clean up riverbanks etc, this is where the £25
goes - the rivers have never been cleaner or contained more fish at any
time in the past 150 years, plus, you don't only get to fish the
Mersey, try the lake district for trout, or any one of the thousands of
canals and commercial fisheries for coarse fish.

Well said Phil.
It peeves me a bit when people complain about the cost of the Rod
Licence. There's always someone who wants something for nothing. Are
these people so short-sighted as to not to realise that SOMEONE has to
pay for the upkeep of our precious inland waterways?
If those concerned don't want to contribute then let them fish without a
licence and I hope they get caught and their tackle confiscated. I won't
lose any sleep over them.
Alec
--
Alec Powell
Watlington Oxon. UK

Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
Mikk

"MrBlueSkye" wrote in message
Not been fishing for years, so as there's a river just down the road (I
know
for shame, for shame) I thought must get a rod license........bleddy hell
the robbing swine want £23.75!! Think about it..........£23.75 a season
fish the Mersey.

It's £23.75 a year, equal to a few pennies a day to fish *anywhere* in
Britain, you don't have to fish the Mersey

And as already stated by previous posters, it goes towards making rivers fit
to fish in the first place.

Call it insurance against the big fine and possible loss of your tackle if
you're caught without one. Consider the cost of *one* night out at the pub,
or the price of going to one football match. It may seem like a lot, and a
bloody cheek like the TV licencing scheme for people who never watch BBC,
but it's not

I suppose what annoys some people is the fact it only gives you the right to
fish. You are still liable to day ticket/season ticket prices which
definitely wont be a few pennies a day

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Gandalf

"You pay for the upkeep, like road tax"

Don't tell them that as some bright spark will try and tarmac them.(;-)

It is a bit of rip off and having had dealings with them over the pathetic
way they had managed to stop letting disabled anglers pay less I can see it
is now run by politicians grabbing every penny they can rather than people
concerned for the environment.

When I left fishing to pursue my career I left a group of people who were
really doing a good job for our rivers but now I see none of that at all, it
is a pity but at least the rank and file of anglers are a really good bunch
still from what I can see.

The only reason I pay it is because I want to get the pleasure and
tranquillity from my sport and I have lost the sense that I am actually
paying to help the waterways I fish. Sad! that really.

--
Gandalf