TR: Timmay, Stanny, and Jimmy go bluegillin'

Old July 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Tim J.

Default TR: Timmay, Stanny, and Jimmy go bluegillin'

It's been KILLING me. The canoe has been up on blocks for almost a month, and #2
son seems to have lost interest in fishing for the time being. I was just
looking for an excuse to get out and fish from the canoe. So when Stan said
yesterday was the day to get out, I was ready.

There are two things I did to complicate matters. First, I still haven't bought
the middle seat addition for my canoe, which means I have to sit much to the
rear of center. Second, I forgot the 5 gallon jug I've been using as front-end
ballast. I know, those of you that have seen me think I need more ballast, but 5
gallons works just fine, thanks. Good news is I live just about ten minutes away
from the pond so while Stan guarded the canoe, back I went for the jug.

When I pulled up to the pond the second time, Jim Laffley was just arriving with
his kayak, so the three of us went to hunt the giant bluegill Stan assured us
were there. The first five or so I caught weren't much bigger than the gurgler I
was casting, so I was starting to think Stan had a firm grip on my leg, but as I
moved to the far side of the pond, the size dramatically improved. These guys
were big and beefy, and the breeding males had the most remarkably bright
red-orange underside I've seen in a while. The bigun's were feisty, hit the fly
with a burst of power, and were a lot of fun to have on the fly rod. We must
have each caught forty or fifty of these fish.

As it started to get dark, the full moon appeared just above the tree line and
the reflection across the water was an added extra to a good day of fishing. The
other good value-add was the beer, spicy chicken fingers, and good conversation
at the watering hole afterwards.
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 30th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Big Dale

tim wrote:snip a cool trip reportThe
other good value-add was the beer, spicy chicken fingers, and good
conversation
at the watering hole afterwards.

Sounds like a fun afternoon, but I don't know about those chicken
fingers...must be a Taxatwo****s thing.(g).

Big Dale