Canadian Jet Ski?

Old July 26th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Default Canadian Jet Ski? (OT)

I'm sitting here wondering why this thread has taken on a life of it's own.
The first reason for the questioning is the fact that it has no relationship
to fishing, much less Bass fishing. The main reasoning is the fact that it's
all political, which I don't understand why we'd talk politics in a fishing
NG. I'm not trying to be a Usenet cop, or censor anyone, I just believe it
should be done in alt.binaries.let'stalkpolitics.and****everyoneoff

"Peter Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:49:25 -0700, Eric Dreher
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:18 -0400, Peter Charles
wrote:

That said, I'm always suspicious of any country whose media
are owned by the government.

That separation here makes our media at least somewhat reliable.

You've got to be kidding. There's no relationship between reliability
and ownership. I watch NBC and CNN most nights. When it comes to
international news,the level of half-truths, distortions, and critical
omissions is downright sickening. Nothing is allowed that puts the US
in a bad light.

Now it's YOU who can't be serious. All I see is anti-US bias on CNN,
NBC, CBS, and ABC. I wonder just where in hell these talking heads
were born. Certainly I wonder whose side they're on.

snip the rest

So, if a story that's internationally widespread and puts America in a
bad light finally makes it to the US news. it's the news media's
responsibility to suppress it so they won't be "Anti-US"? They
already suppress a hell of a lot. That is real censorship.

It's too bad for you, but not every story is going fit your
mythologoically based image of what America is. Your attitude is part
of the reasons why American news media, especially TV news, must be so
damn careful about what stories they tell and how they tell it
otherwise, they get people like you levelling all sorts of "Anti-US"
claims of bias against them.

In dictatorships, the government controls what information the people
rec eive. In the US, it's partially the government, and partially the
handfull of powerful media corporations, but mostly it's this notion
of what is "American". The problem for them, the definition isn't
really well defined and people like you obviously have extremely
narrow criteria, so they generally err on the side of caution. It
seems that you think they've been doing a bad job of it lately.

I would be very interested to read what you consider "Anti-US bias" in
the US media. Seriously, I'm not trying to set you up with this. I
really want to understand your point of view.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at

http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Old July 26th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Peter Charles

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:40:17 -0400, "Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)"
wrote:

I'm sitting here wondering why this thread has taken on a life of it's own.
The first reason for the questioning is the fact that it has no relationship
to fishing, much less Bass fishing. The main reasoning is the fact that it's
all political, which I don't understand why we'd talk politics in a fishing
NG. I'm not trying to be a Usenet cop, or censor anyone, I just believe it
should be done in alt.binaries.let'stalkpolitics.and****everyoneoff

Well, it was already OT anyway so the bandwagon effect set in. ROFB
is better than most in keeping OT crap to a minimum, but a bit now and
again doesn't hurt. There's only so much conversation potential in
crankbaits.

Hey, Eric, I have a couple of questions -- want to take this to email
so we don't bother these good folks?

Peter